I'm soon going to get a new bass and the concept of a fretless bass has always been intriguing to me. 95% of the time I play with a pick. I'm not sure why they would, but would the two of them clash?
first...dont play with a pick. work on your fingers like a real bassist. then when you get gigs the groupies will know you might be decent at foreplay

and second...it will just give you a different sound. like fretted is metal on metal so a bright sound and being hit with a pick makes it crisper. on a fretless it will be like a crisp warmer sound rather than a crisp bright sound. if that makes some sense.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If he wants to play with a pick, he can play with a pick.

no.. he cant
because he also wants to pluck 5% of the time
Quote by burgurhead1812
first...dont play with a pick. work on your fingers like a real bassist.

Your full of ****. Theres a place for all techniques.

Anyways, fretless has a more human sound then fretted. Playing with your fingers will accentuate that fact. Or you can look into a felt pink to tone down the brightness yet still retain the familiarity of your technique.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That response makes no sense whatsoever.

or it made all the sense in the world and your not in on it
Thanks to all who provided useful information and those who defended my pick playing.
Quote by forstringwonder
Or you can look into a felt pink to tone down the brightness yet still retain the familiarity of your technique.

I'm not sure what you mean by a felt pink unless you mean a felt pick. In that case, I still don't know what you mean.
Quote by NakedBassist
Thanks to all who provided useful information and those who defended my pick playing.

The best bassists can utilise many techniques and styles of playing, and using a pick is one of those techniques. But that's not the point.

A felt pick is just what it says it is- a pick made of felt.
Yes I meant felt pick lol its 11 pm

Its just that, lets you still play picking style, yet produce a much warmer sound.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
lol you can buy picks lined in felt so they're soft and fabricy (if thats a word) so it gives a pick a warmer tone.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
http://www.suncreekmusic.com/product_info.php/products_id/1534

This.

Felt picks are used for a variety of instruments including Uke, zither and autoharps. It might work on a fretless.
Quote by burgurhead1812
first...dont play with a pick. work on your fingers like a real bassist. then when you get gigs the groupies will know you might be decent at foreplay

and second...it will just give you a different sound. like fretted is metal on metal so a bright sound and being hit with a pick makes it crisper. on a fretless it will be like a crisp warmer sound rather than a crisp bright sound. if that makes some sense.

Chris Squire begs to differ.
Quote by NakedBassist
WOW! They're expensive.

Not really. That averages out to less than a dollar a pick, so it's by volume it's not that expensive, it's just having to buy them as a set.

And Delirium, the OP did say that he plays with a pick 95% of the time, but still, the arguing is silly.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If he wants to play with a pick, he can play with a pick.

This. And it needs badly to be displayed prominently at the top of the page, rather than in an FAQ topic (which a lot of people probably skip over, usually the ones who get banned) so that it can be that much more obvious that there's nothing wrong with a pick. Personally, I'd love to use a pick sometimes, I just can't use one to save my life. And I'm sure a lot of people wish they could fingerpick sometimes, but they just can't. No one technique is "right" it just depends on what sound you want, and what movements are comfortable for you.

That being said, I think a picked fretless would sound damn funny, but hey, if it sounds good to you, more power to you. And those felt picks sound like a really good idea, so I'll throw my weight in with "listen to those people who know more about this than me cause they're probably right." It could damn well be exactly what you need to play with a pick and still get a mellow sound. Great invention if you ask me. Hell, its a great invention even if you don't ask me, so screw off (potential) nay-sayers
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.