Page 1 of 2
Hi guys. I have been searching like hell for the past two weeks for a good tube combo inside my $400 price range. At first I found the Peavey ValveKing 112..I thought it was a winner, until I found out most people think it's ****... Then I find the Crate V50, and I haven't found much of anything about this amp. I want to know what you guys recommend for me. I have a Gibson Explorer, and I play mostly classic rock/metal/blues.
I do not want a single channel amp, and I want to be able to play it stock without it making my ears bleed.

PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
crate v33-212 or a used classic 30 would be good for you. The Classic 30 can get a decent amount of gain on it. What type of metal are we talking?
The heaviest I'll probably ever get is like...In Flames. But for right now, I play a lot of G'n'R, Ozzy Osbourne, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, AC/DC type stuff. I don't need a whole **** load of distortion, but I need to have a good distorted tone at bedroom level. I was really interested in the Crate V50, but nobody seems to have much of an opinion on it. I need gigging capabilities so... somewhere in the 30-50 watt range is good.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

combo 6505 by peavey
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
That's too expensive for me. If I were buying this with my own money that'd be a different story. This is going to be my birthday present, and I doubt i'd have enough time to sell my **** MG. My birthday is in august, and if i could somehow manage to make an extra 300 bucks by then, I could go in on something more expensive. As of yet, my budget stands at $400.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

It's gonna be my birthday present, so yeah... I have to stick with my budget unless I can miraculously sell my ****ty MG within a week.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Any suggestions inside the $400 budget?

What are your opinions on the Peavey ValveKing or the Crate V50?
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

I think the valveking with an OD will work fine
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
I disagree the peavey is a bastard tube amp compared to the crates.
youll be fine with a crate without an OD.
and you could get a bettor deal used.
the distortion on a crate is not as harsh and crackly, and the cleans arent ass thin sounding.
the crate can do classic rock and blues wonderfully.
Last edited by TheKaiser77 at Jul 7, 2008,
Get the Valveking. Once you get some more money though, swap the stock speaker and change the tubes, and maybe buy a noise gate.

Bam, perfect amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Get the Crate. I played one the other day and I liked it more than my VK. There's a lot you have to do to a VK to make it "ok" sounding.
-Ibanez 1570, Agile AL 3100, Hello Kitty Squire Strat , Schecter C1 Classic, ESP LTD EC1000
-Peavey VK 112
-Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, ICP Decimator, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, Korg Pitchblack, MXR 108
get the crate better sounding stock, and would be miles better if you did what some guy said above than a modded valveking.
the valveking is loud but it just pales next to the crate, dont get me wrong peavey makes some good stuff but when it comes to bottom of the barrel of there tube stuff its just crap next to the compitition.
A classic 30 would be good to with a bad monkey but dont get the damn valveking its just really bad IMO, like i said IMO, go try stuff out and see what you think.
valveking=all things bad.
and you even said you wanted to play it stock...
Of those two I would get the Crate V50. It won't do br00tLz without some help, but for classic rock and blues it owns the VK. The Classic 30 (used) would be good too.
A used classic 30 seems right up your alley, but you'll need an OD for metal.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Raijouta
Get the Valveking. Once you get some more money though, swap the stock speaker and change the tubes, and maybe buy a noise gate.

Bam, perfect amp.

Or have an amp that is better stock (V50) and upgrade it to make it even better.

Bam, Perfect amp.
Hehe. These are the same suggestion I have been receiving for the past few weeks. I am wondering who is just biased against other amps becasue they own a Classic 30/VK/V50.
I need an opinion from someone who doesn't own any of those, but has tried them. I've played Classic 30's quite a few times, and I couldn't get ANY gain out of it. I need something I can play at least for a month or so with no upgrades. Right now I'm leaning towards the ValveKing, just because I have heard it, and I know the most about it, but if someone can change my mind, I will probably end up with a better amp. lol.

PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

^If you couldn't get any gain from the Classic 30, either it was broken, or you were doing something incorrectly.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Well, do you have to turn it up until break up point to get alot of gain? I was testing it at pretty low volume. I suppose I need to try it again. lol.

So your suggestion is the Classic 30 right Kyle?
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

I vote you ask your folks for 400 bucks cash instead of the amp, then you can use that to save up some more
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Chance125
Well, do you have to turn it up until break up point to get alot of gain? I was testing it at pretty low volume. I suppose I need to try it again. lol.

Nope, just put the "Pre" past 6 and the "Post" at desired volume level for gain.
So... Stock with no pedals, will it get enough gain for Randy Rhoads/Iron Maiden tone?

Also, will it get loud enough for gigs with no PA?
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Well, it's certainly worth playing to see if it will suit you. I believe the Pre acts as a sort of gain control and the Post as a volume control, but I haven't played one in quite some time, so i could have that mixed up. Make sure you're on the right channel, too, obviously.

As far as those tones, I'm not sure. I know it can do rock on its own, but I can't comment on specifically how heavy. You may need an OD for heavier things, and if you mainly play heavier things, then you may want to look at other amps. If you can find a used one for $300, then that saves you plenty of cash for a good OD.

And it's also not a bad idea to ask for cash towards your purchase rather than your parents getting you the amp. That's what i've done for a lot of my gear purchases in the past.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
you can get tube breakup at Vol 4 on lead channel on VK which is what drove me to the VK. I'm not really recommending one way or the other and I have not played the Crates. Have you listened to Sadistic+Sponges demo in his profile, as I mentioned in your other thread?

He seems real neutral and has several amps so he won't push you into something you won't like. Check the 11 minute demo, first half is clean and the metal gain kicks in at around 4:45 where I think he is doing a Megadeth riff Holy Wars or something.

good luck and i just PM'd you
i played a ValveKing halfstack and it was beautiful for classic rock and with an OD it will work for metal. so my vote is on the VK,...or the Classic 30 for an even better clean channel
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Last edited by bjovi400 at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by ShredGod George
peavy valvekings own crates

hahahahhahahahaha.
you havent played the V series then or else youd take that back.
I dont know how any one could chose a valveking over the V when played side by side.
Quote by Chance125
So... Stock with no pedals, will it get enough gain for Randy Rhoads/Iron Maiden tone?

Also, will it get loud enough for gigs with no PA?

Dude if you want that then just get the classic 30 used on craigslist or on ebay, but dont get the valveking. you could do bettor for the same money used and new.
I mean, the Classic 30 is definitely the best quality out of those 3. I just need to test one out to see how heavy it will get. I'd be fine with getting an overdrive pedal for heavier stuff, just as long as it came out to be the best tone I could get for the money. I am looking for QUALITY, and not a brand name/and or/ what the local 10 year olds say is good. I know that the clean channel on the Classic 30 is bitchin', I just need to test the gain. They have one at my small local shop, so I'm going to try it out this week.

Alright... Well you guys steered me away from the ValveKing once again, so I suppose I should take your advice this time. I'm now going for either the Classic 30 or the V50.
I am definitely leaning towards the Classic 30 after watching some amazing sound tests on youtube. That thing shells out some serious tone! What do you guys think?
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

^Well, you already know what most of us think. Go try it out.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
The only thing I won't be able to figure out is how loud it actually is cranked. I need a Tube-SS
watt comparison. I need to be able to gig without a PA system.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

It'll handle most gigs without a problem. If the gigs are getting to big for the Classic 30 to handle, then they'll almost certainly have their own PA for you to mic the amp.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
So... With the Classic 30's cranked volume, how many watts SS would there have to be to match that?
I've heard 30 watts tube is somewhere around 100 Watts SS. Is that true?
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

Quote by Chance125
So... With the Classic 30's cranked volume, how many watts SS would there have to be to match that?
I've heard 30 watts tube is somewhere around 100 Watts SS. Is that true?

...ehhhhh, maybe more like 30w tube = 60w ss, i think its just double the tube watts to match for ss
Ibanez AEL 12-string

There isn't a set rule, but a good rule of thumb is usually 2.5x solid state watts, in terms of comparing perceived volume. But there is so much more that goes into it, that you really can't rely on that. Still, like I said, there is plenty of volume for gigging.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Alright. Well.... I guess I've changed my mind AGAIN. Now I have my mind set on the Classic 30. lol. I wonder if my local shop will give me a deal. Although I seriously doubt it.

I need to sell my Ludwig drum set to get money to start a pedalboard. I never use it, and it just takes up half my room.
PRS SE Singlecut
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Seagull

also make sure you crank when your playing at the store the C30, make sure theres some head room in there, even if you are playing metal, i know this might sound stupid but sometimes cliping gets in the way of what you might want tone wise and a bigger amp is needed.
If you like the C-30 but it breaks up to fast you could look up a used peavey classic 50.
Or if you dont like the C-30 the V-50 isnt bad either and might serve your need better.
Page 1 of 2