Page 1 of 2
i want something that can get a lot of reverb and a good surf rock sound, but also something with a good distortion and feedback, should i get jaguar pickups installed or something else, any help would be great
reverb and distortion don't come from the pick-ups. What are you missing in your sound that you want to change, and what amp you got going?
oh i know but i want something that will handle reverb and distortion well, because i also play grunge and punk
study the sounds you're after, or if you are unsure on what sound you want, give us an example or demo of the sound you are after specifically.

the only thing that comes to mind besides what everyone else has said is that you would want a tremolo pedal with a hint of it coming through.
well i know the jaguar pickups have a very bright and twangy sound, supposedly more than the strat, i want something kinda like that
whoah a mog cool, well im upgrading to most likeley a mustang, would it be bad to put the new pickups in that ? oh and at the moment i have a roland cube 15x
Quote by seizureman
whoah a mog cool, well im upgrading to most likeley a mustang, would it be bad to put the new pickups in that ? oh and at the moment i have a roland cube 15x

There's your problem right there, you're not going to get the sounds you want from a little solid state amp.

Don't worry about pickups, or even a new guitar - all you need is the right amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
dimarzio pafs?
super distortion?
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
well i dont really even have a strat, its a starcaster by strat, so i really want to upgrade, and as for the amp, i am going for a jcm900, is this a good idea
Quote by seizureman
well i dont really even have a strat, its a starcaster by strat, so i really want to upgrade, and as for the amp, i am going for a jcm900, is this a good idea

So you're gonna go from a 15 watt solid state amp to a tube Marshall?

Gradually work your way up.
Dickless.
Quote by seizureman
damn your right...idk someone suggerted to get a marshall

Do some research, don't just do what others tell you.
Dickless.
yeah, i just started learning more about amps yesterday, so what size and watt would u recomend ?
Quote by seizureman

For "surf rock"???

No, that's a terrible idea...get a Fender.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

well i incorporate slight surf rockish rounds, but imainly do punk and grunge, but thanks i'll start looking toward fender
A few questions...

1) What kind of budget you got for upgrading your guitar? Not that a Starcaster is worth the money to upgrade.
2) What kind of sound you looking for? Name some bands that you like the tone of the guitar of.
3) What price range you looking at to get a new amp?
well i have a $1000 budget
i am going for a $600 fender mustang
no idea on what amp yet, but i'll have something liket$500 after selling some stuff
umm bands
agent orange
nirvana
the specials
citizen fish
misfits
dick dale
the ventures
dead kennedys
angry samoans
sonic youth
dinosaur jr
sublime
Last edited by seizureman at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Grab the Mustand first, then maybe loook at a used Traynor YCV40. It'll have enough gain for your punk side, but the cleans are great, which'll serve your surf side.

+1

I'm liking your thinking with the 10" speakers there
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

cool thanks, but i was wondering if japaneese frets are really that much smaller?
Quote by seizureman
cool thanks, but i was wondering if japaneese frets are really that much smaller?

why would they be smaller...fretwire gauges are standardised.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Get the amp first. That will affect your sound more. Get the guitar later, and consider something besides the mustang.

Edit: I should say the amp will affect the quality of your sound more. The guitar might affect they characteristics of your sound more, depending on what kind of guitar it is.
Last edited by werty22 at Jul 7, 2008,
really whats wrong with the mustang ? and i may go with the traynor after all not sure yet still looking around
Last edited by seizureman at Jul 7, 2008,
Nothing is wrong with the mustang as far as I know, I just think a MIM strat might be more suitable for your style. I would recommend the Traynor over the JCM900. I don't know much about the Traynor, but I've heard good things about it and I know Marshalls aren't good for a surf tone.
yeah i was wondering if a marcshal was the rigt way to go anyway, but i think i have my list ready, can i go gigging with a traynor ?
dick dale one of the surf rock kings. he plays a strat might keep that in mind.
true i just like how the mustang has a thinner neck and 22 frets, [lus a supposedly nicer tone and volume control
oh wow 4o watts dident read all that, hmm but would the fender super champ be any good ?
yeah i was also wondering if it is possible to play a small stage with 15 watts ?
Quote by MetalMilitia212

What the hell kinda logic is that? Of course you'd get a high-end amp if you had the money.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

Well, if you have the money, why not

hah, i didnt see the reply above me

Proud member of the Stratocaster Lover's Group
Last edited by HoneyFUZZ_123 at Jul 8, 2008,
Page 1 of 2