Yeah, I'm running Windows Vista, and my device manager does not want to work. Every time I try to start it up, it gives me an error message (see attached image). That fancy number there is a registry number, so I think that maybe I can fix this problem by copying and pasting that registry from another Vista computer, but nobody that I know has a Vista computer that I can copy from. I need your input, Pit, does this seem like a good idea, and if it does, would somebody e-mail me a copy of that particular registry? Thanks.
Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Airship is liek teh best giitar playr evr!!111!1!

Quote by solidgay
Don't use distortion pedals. Just bury your guitar for three weeks, and then dig it up, that should do the job.

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!
Last edited by black007hawk2 at Jul 7, 2008,
Have you tried copying that number into google yet and seeing if anyone has the same error?
Quote by Baa I'm a Sheep
google the command line for rebuilding a registry.

*googles rebuilding a registry*

O_o Wha? I don't get half of that stuff, and I'm NOT messing with my registries if I don't know what I'm doing. . I think a little copypasta would work better.

Quote by solidgay
Don't use distortion pedals. Just bury your guitar for three weeks, and then dig it up, that should do the job.

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
I hate to do this, but.....

Bump.

Does anyone wanna donate a registry? I promise that it's painless and I would love you forever.

Quote by solidgay

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
Quote by black007hawk2
I hate to do this, but.....

Bump.

Does anyone wanna donate a registry? I promise that it's painless and I would love you forever.

There you go..
Attachments:
ug.zip
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Quote by X-Boy
There you go..

Thank you!

<-----And there's my love, as promised.

Oh yeah, I tried looking for a registry online for weeks with no luck, but I posted a bulletin on Myspace last night about it, and got like three registries sent to me within 30 minutes lol. So if you guys have a computer problem like this, go on Myspace for faster results. But thanks for your help anyways, X-Boy, I appreciate it.

Quote by solidgay

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
Quote by saphrax

The idea that iomporting somebody else registry settings without any idea what they contain baffles me. It's like putting your hand in a box, not knowing if there's a dick in there or not.

The registry is for the Device Manager, and I can view the contents using regedit before I stick it in the box.

Quote by Hypnotisation
Wait...did you say...VISTA?

There's your problem. See it? Right there!

It's not that bad, just a little difficult at times, just like XP.

Quote by solidgay

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
If you have problems with that registry, I'll happily donate mine.

This is Vista 32bit home.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by black007hawk2
The registry is for the Device Manager, and I can view the contents using regedit before I stick it in the box.

Good point, I forgot you can view them. On that note, that won't help you at all, it's just some network settings...
Quote by rabidguitarist
If you have problems with that registry, I'll happily donate mine.

This is Vista 32bit home.

Sure, the more registries that I have, the more I'll have to work with.

I got 32bit home too, I forgot about the different versions, so I guess that some of them might not work.

Quote by saphrax
Good point, I forgot you can view them. On that note, that won't help you at all, it's just some network settings...

Really? So you're saying that replacing the registry won't do a thing?

Oh yeah, now that Ive got a registry, I don't know how to put it in there lol. Help please?

Quote by solidgay

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
Quote by black007hawk2
Sure, the more registries that I have, the more I'll have to work with.

I got 32bit home too, I forgot about the different versions, so I guess that some of them might not work.

You'll have to talk me through this, and tell me which bit you want- I had to completely butcher the audio part of my registry to sort out a soundcard problem, so it's probably not a good idea to have that floating around.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
You'll have to talk me through this, and tell me which bit you want- I had to completely butcher the audio part of my registry to sort out a soundcard problem, so it's probably not a good idea to have that floating around.

Sure thing.

1.Go to start

2.type regedit in the searchbar

3. open regedit.

4. click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

5.scroll down (alot!) until you get to CLSID

6.scroll down until you get to {74246bfc-4c96-11d0-abef-0020af6b0b7a}

7.select that registry ^

8.Click on file, and then click on Export

9.Export it to the desktop

10. Attach that file to a post in this thread.

Quote by saphrax
Oh God. Just stop with this idea of importing other people's registry settings. It won't work.

Well then, what would? I'm getting desperate here.

Quote by solidgay

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
Quote by black007hawk2
I can't load the page. That, or the link is bad

humph.
Attachments:
device manager.zip
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist
humph.

Thank you!

Alright, I think that I got enough to work with now. I think that I'll take this to my friends' house to play with, since he knows a lot about this stuff. Thanks to all that contributed!

And if anybody else has a better solution for fixing my device manager, I would be happy to hear it.

Quote by solidgay

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth