Page 1 of 2
Recently i got my hands on a Squier tele that apparantly doesn't work,ive fixed up the input jack,and it finally sounds. I couldn't get any strings so i used my ACOUSTIC GUITAR STRINGS i already have.

Few problems though.

1) Nut problem, the nut that's holding the strings up are worned out, high E and G strings keep flying out of the nut.and the G string does funny things.(watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myK_c9Q-Ulg ) .

1.1 ) Also could acoustic strings that i install have anything to do with this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myK_c9Q-Ulg <here's the link again

3)Are the pickups supposed to look so....slanted? ive played acoustic and never an electric sorry if its a dumb question

4)One not so important problem... the guitar doesn't have 6 holes in the back to put strings on...i just somehow hooked my way through

5)Last not so important problem would be my dangling input jack:

So the first 2 is my most hated problem right now. I plan on playing this thing for maybe a month or so until i get the chance to see a really good guitar second hand i wanted and this guitar will be my first refirnishing project!! Meanwhile I would like to really fix it up.

Overall view~
Last edited by howangcturtle at Jul 7, 2008,
the acoustic strings are the main problem, the g string/nut thing is related to them being too thick a gauge for the nut, im sure its killing the neck too xD
Current Gear-
Ibanez RG321
Peavey Rage 258
Rogue LX400
Fender Rumble 15
Oops i apologize to my tele for killing its bridge. But the strings that never like to keep in its place are the High E and G strings
Nice input jack

3)Are the pickups supposed to look so....slanted? ive played acoustic and never an electric sorry if its a dumb question

That won't matter unless your real picky.

1) Nut problem, the nut that's holding the strings up are worned out, the last 2 strings keep flying out of the nut.and the G string does funny things.(watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myK_c9Q-Ulg )

Thats just worn from use, don't worry, 5-10$ replacement.

4)One not so important problem... the guitar doesn't have 6 holes in the back to put strings on...i just somehow hooked my way through

HOW THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT? lol
1) replace the nut and DONT use acoustic strings on electric guitars.

2) where the hell is number 2?

3) the pickups are fine. since the neck pickup has more bass, the slanted pickup balances the treble and bass strings so they will have equal output.

4) how did you string it? give pics of the back of the guitar. i'm sure it's not a toploading bridge. there should be 6 small holes at the back. pics would help.

5) replace that POS input jack.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Thanks for advice people =)

1) -How do you replace the nut?? do they just sell it ?Is there any immediate solution for the nut?

2)-What so bad about putting acoustic strings on electric? plan on getting some cheap electric strings today...

3) -As for this tele with no holes in the back,here're pictures. How i put the strings in...I unscrewed each of thoese rectangular thingies,and just loop the string around it.

Haha see,no holes! are squier tele suppose to look like that?
There appears to be 6 holes, beneath the screws for adjusting the saddles - the strings should go in through those holes and then up through the saddles.

Oh, and it's an OUTPUT jack, and you appear to need a new plate for it.

As for the lipstick neck pickup is worrying you, when you take the accoustic strings off, take off the pickguard, and adjust the screws that are holding the pickup in place.

EDIT: The problem with the strings not sitting in the nut properly appear to be related to a complete lack of string trees on the head stock to hold the B & E strings down - without staggered tuners, there probably isn't going to be enough tension there to keep the strings in place.
Last edited by mark_wuk at Jul 7, 2008,
can you give us a pic of the back where the bridge would be on the front
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
1) Put on a real set of electric strings and I can almost guarantee that you wont have anymore problems out of the nut. If that dont work, buy a new nut and glue it in.

2) There are screws on each side of the pickup. Adjust them until that thing is flat again. Who ever said that it dont matter is a complete jack ass and has no right to give any advice on this kind of situation.

3) Your guitar doesnt have holes in the back cause its not a string through body design. There are holes in the back side of the bridge at the bottom to run the strings through it.

4) Buy a new jack plate.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
3) Your guitar doesnt have holes in the back cause its not a string through body design. There are holes in the back side of the bridge at the bottom to run the strings through it.

No there aren't lol..
1) a nut replacement is somehow easy. take it to a guitar tech or luthier. replace it with either a graphite or bone nut.

2) put some damn electric guitar strings in there, i recommend Daddario, GHS or DR. the tension of acoustic strings is killing your neck and it wont sound good plugged into an amp.

3) it's a top loading. from the picture, it seems like its a toploading bridge. there are small holes at the back of the bridge underneath the screws. thats where you insert the strings.
[quote="'[P|E|R|S|O|N"]']No there aren't lol..

Um, yeah there are. Look inside the yellow circle. You can see the "dots" where the holes are.

Come on please dont tell me your that stupid to not know that the bridge is made like that.
thanks leviticus_22953 thoese are good advice!!

thanks. ohh i fixed the pickups. there're not suppose to be slanted,thanks everyone

Seee there ARE no holes, i even took out the WHOLE thing to show you, there're holes underneath the metal though.... but not at the back of the body...

So im going to 1) Get new nuts? 2) new electric strings 3) new jack plate !!Playing this guitar would be my ultimate test to see weather i still want a really nice guitar that I already saved up!! thanks everyone!
Last edited by howangcturtle at Jul 7, 2008,
*facepalm*
Voodoo Fest 2008 <3

Quote by DieGarbageMan
SILENCE.

SURSKIT DECIDES YOUR GENDER NOW.
Quote by howangcturtle

thanks. ohh i fixed the pickups. there're not suppose to be slanted,thanks everyone

Seee there ARE no holes, i even took out the WHOLE thing to show you, there're holes underneath the metal though.... but not at the back of the body...

So im going to 1) Get new nuts? 2) new electric strings 3) new jack plate !!Playing this guitar would be my ultimate test to see weather i still want a really nice guitar that I already saved up!! thanks everyone!

I lol'd @ this.

On a serious note, you can make this guitar string-through body, just drill the holes (the six in a parallel line) all the way through, buy a set of string ferrules, and a back-loading bridge.
the ferrules and bridge can be bought at many places, including: warmoth.com , Stewmac.com , and Guitarfetish.com .
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by howangcturtle

LOL.
it's not under the plate itself. it's under the saddle screws. there are 6 screws parallel to the body right? it's right in there. there are supposed to be holes there.

This bridge isn't exactly the same as yours but look where the strings ball ends are?
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by EnyoAdonai

This bridge isn't exactly the same as yours but look where the strings ball ends are?

now this would explain everything to the TS.
Quote by leviticus_22953
now this would explain everything to the TS.

I hope so theres been quite a few explanations so far!

its times like these 'a pictures worth a thousand words' actually means something
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Ohhhh i seee it!! LOLOLOL. i totally didn't notice the holes at the side of the SADDLE(sorry for my dumbness) . Wow you guys really helped me out. THANKS

Yeah the GET NEW NUTS, i was actually going to name it on the title for this thread to get people's attention. but im new here and didn't want to get flamed =p . I hope to be loved in here ~
new nut, new ELECTRIC strings and a new input jack. that should do you good.
Okay i got most things done, except that E strings still flies out of the nut, the repair guy suggested me a string tree. I installed it,screw didn't seem long enough..... this is how it looks

I skipped the circular thing that it comes with and only put in the screws.... i think its too low..... look how its dragging the strings.Is that okay?what should i do?
Why did you use acoustic strings in the first place?
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
That's fine. It's what the tree is there for.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
wear googles
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
So i tuned it with thoese trees on. Its probably all in my head,but i thought the strings were alot tighter....And i was soooo scared of snapping them.Id hate to run to the shop and get strings AGAIN..... but yeah lets hope this works! yay
It helps if you put graphite (rub pencil lead) on there to lubricate it. I wouldnt worry about doing it on the nut since it doesnt have a trem, but it couldnt hurt. Just wipe up the exess when you're done.
my rule of thumb is before doing anything to anything you need to learn about it first. next time do research.
you messed up putting that string tree on. badly. it's supposed to look like this: That spacer is SUPPOSED to be there.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah ive seen that picture as well. But I think the screw that came with the string tree is too short. I couldn't get it to screw in with the spacer. So i had to skip the spacer.....
Quote by howangcturtle
Yeah ive seen that picture as well. But I think the screw that came with the string tree is too short. I couldn't get it to screw in with the spacer. So i had to skip the spacer.....

uhhh...just buy a longer screw from a hardware store or something.
Do you think its okay right now though? Nothing bad seems to be happening so far.... I MIGHT get a longer screw if i find one~
OK, so you'll also have to get a jack plate, it's a little rectangular metal plate with a hole for the output jack to go into. About $5 or so. Because that output jack looks really weak floating around like that. And as far as the spacer goes: Yeah, pretty important, because you actually need the string tree to stand higher off the headstock, and the spacer would both help stabilize the screw and keep it at a perfect position off the headstock.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
get a longer screw.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Before I have a chance to go to a hardware store, the strings could hold it there for a bit right?
Screw = couple of cents
Strings = couple of dollars + possible injuries from the snapping.

Just get a screw man, it's better in the long run anyway.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Page 1 of 2