so i have wanted an alto sax for the longest time. but now i think i want a Violin.

i play

-guitar (1 1/2 years)
-piano (7 or 8 years)
-drums (5 years?)
-trombone (4 years)
-bass ( 6 months or so)

within the next couple of years i will probably end up getting both of these.
but im wondering, which one do you think will expand the knowledge of music that i get from the instruments i play.

i dont know much about violins. i dont know how to read there music and i dont even know if there a concert instrument such as guitar or piano. give me advice, pit jokes , and discuss

Thanks
How do you get 2 violinists to play in tune?

Shoot one.

Why is a violinists fingers like lightning?

It never strikes the same place twice.

What's the difference between a violin and an onion?

People cry when you chop up an onion.

What's the difference between a violin and a trampoline?

You take off your shoes to jump on a trampoline.

EDIT: Yeah, go for it. You'll pick it up pretty fast with a proper instructor. Be sure to get one, as violin CANNOT be learned on it's own. There's way to much crucial technique to be learned.
Last edited by DashBlaster at Jul 7, 2008,
go for the violin
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by BluMetalPlayer
i dont know much about violins. i dont know how to read there music and i dont even know if there a concert instrument such as guitar or piano. give me advice, pit jokes , and discuss
It's a treble clef, like guitar and piano use. And they are definitely considered a concert instrument. There are way more Violin Concertos than Guitar Concertos.
i think a violin would be a better choice, itll greatly improve your dexterity on the guitar and bass if you learn properly. learning properly is key on a violin, if you try to teach yourself, youll end up with a heap of bad habits that will most likely impair your ability to improve. that being said, i highly urge you to get private lessons if you decide to pick up a violin. i also reccomend that you dont be stingy when purchasing one, make payments if you have to. there are tons of cheap violins out there and they are totally not worth the money.
also, the music is just the treble clef, so if you can read music for a piano you can read music for a violin.

ive been playing for about 8 years and its one of the instruments i enjoy playing the most :]
yeah
Quote by DashBlaster
How do you get 2 violinists to play in tune?

Shoot one.

Why is a violinists fingers like lightning?

It never strikes the same place twice.

What's the difference between a violin and an onion?

People cry when you chop up an onion.

What's the difference between a violin and a trampoline?

You take off your shoes to jump on a trampoline.

LMAO

Quote by The Madcap
It's a treble clef, like guitar and piano use. And they are definitely considered a concert instrument. There are way more Violin Concertos than Guitar Concertos.

i ment concert as in like a trumpet you have to raise each note up 2 semitones or somthing like that to bring it up to concert key. like if a piano plays a C a trumpet has to play like A or E or somthing like that. im not too familiar with trumpet.

and gibson guru, is violin hard?
Quote by guylee
violin is a concert instrument.

get a stradivarious. not.

if you really wana expand your musical knowledge, learn bassoon

My friends dad has a stradivarius, he has it on a loan from this dude. I touched it once. it was scary
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Quote by nephilium
i think a violin would be a better choice, itll greatly improve your dexterity on the guitar and bass if you learn properly. learning properly is key on a violin, if you try to teach yourself, youll end up with a heap of bad habits that will most likely impair your ability to improve. that being said, i highly urge you to get private lessons if you decide to pick up a violin. i also reccomend that you dont be stingy when purchasing one, make payments if you have to. there are tons of cheap violins out there and they are totally not worth the money.
also, the music is just the treble clef, so if you can read music for a piano you can read music for a violin.

ive been playing for about 8 years and its one of the instruments i enjoy playing the most :]

yeah, hopefully i can talk my parents into paying for lessons.
i think alto sax would probobly be easier to learn to play (once you get past the embochure...excuse spelling), though it does not play at concert pitch so reading may be harder. While simply playing the violin (especially in tune) will be much harder, it plays at
concert pitch.
Quote by BluMetalPlayer
LMAO

i ment concert as in like a trumpet you have to raise each note up 2 semitones or somthing like that to bring it up to concert key. like if a piano plays a C a trumpet has to play like A or E or somthing like that. im not too familiar with trumpet.

at first it might be a bit difficult to hit the right keys without playing other notes that give it that sound of a terrible sounding chord. eventually depending on your ability with music you'll get over that hump and you'll be able to play smoothly. it is indeed difficult to master though i havnt by any means. good luck if you do try and play it, i recommend doing so
Quote by guylee
violin is a concert instrument.

get a stradivarious. not.

if you really wana expand your musical knowledge, learn bassoon

DOOOD, i converted a basson into a BIGG ASSS pipe..... seriosuly it was the epic lulz
Quote by convictionless
DOOOD, i converted a basson into a BIGG ASSS pipe..... seriosuly it was the epic lulz
This is what happens when The Pit talks about Classical instruments.......
I once wanted a violin because you can make creepy sad music with them, but realized I had no interest in an instrument I can't teach myself to play, for two days I tried to get myself to be able to use the bow to sound only one string, or to keep a note resonating forever. Couldn't do it, now have no interest.

Go for it, but try it before you buy it.
Quote by killwitneydead
I once wanted a violin because you can make creepy sad music with them, but realized I had no interest in an instrument I can't teach myself to play, for two days I tried to get myself to be able to use the bow to sound only one string, or to keep a note resonating forever. Couldn't do it, now have no interest.

Go for it, but try it before you buy it.
Classical Violinists spends years and years and YEARS trying to use the bow as best as they can.
Dude, you should totally go for the violin, if only for the bow fighting. I learned violin first and have recently started playing the guitar. I think guitar is more fun to play, though. Beware: prepare to sound like an enraged cat in a bag being beaten with a baseball bat when you first start. That's how we all sounded at first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2oPocPjQyM
Teachers always get really mad when you do this but it's definitely worth it.
Last edited by zether at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by BluMetalPlayer
LMAO

they're called "transposing instruments" not concert

for the other question, altough i don't play violin or saxophone, i play cello and trumpet (pretty similar IMO) both of them have their stuff

at the beggining, trumpet seemed EXTREMELY hard to me (i've never played a brass instrument before) but after 3 or 4 lessons, it turned out really easy to me.

On the other side, cello was really simple at the beggining, now that i'm moving into not so extremely basic stuff, it's really complicated to hit the right spot

both instruments are really fun, and it's waaaaay more fun when you have and play both

Quote by The Madcap
Classical Violinists spends years and years and YEARS trying to use the bow as best as they can.

indeed, the use of the bow is a pain in the ass, specially when you are used to play with a small pick or only with your fingers, all of the sudden you have this long piece of wood that is really hard to control as you want...
Last edited by deluxity at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by The Madcap

Yeah, I would rather spend that time on becoming a guitar god than squander it on becoming a violin peasant.
Been playing the violin for six years, and I love it as much as my guitar.

Get an instructor, rent a violin first, and buy some practice books.
Like someone earlier wrote, it can't be learned on its own like many rock instruments can.

Check out some orchestras in your area, join the one at your school, either will do fine.

And congrats, you've joined the elite known as violinists.
xxx

Let the bodies hit the floor.
Quote by killwitneydead
Yeah, I would rather spend that time on becoming a guitar god than squander it on becoming a violin peasant.

like being a guitar god was such a cool thing
i think that sax would expand your musicianship much more, applying theory is much, MUCH less obvious when playing a horn vs. a string. [ie. intervals are not visual, and you really need to know your theory in order to solo well]
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by killwitneydead
Ironically enough, Violin has been considered one of the most sophisticated instruments, and until Andres Segovia and Francisco Tarrega became famous, the guitar was considered a poor man or peasant's instrument, and not a respectful instrument.
yeah... thanks for all the opinions. keep em coming

its 1 in the morning for me and i have jazz band rehersal at 9 tomorow morning. so ill check in after that and see what you guys left me. thanks again