Alright, so i think i've got this right, but i'm not sure.

All of the different modes have the same patterns, but they are placed in different frets if its being played in the same key.

But for example, the E aeolian mode has the first pattern like this
E|-----------------------------------------0-2-3

B|---------------------------------0-1-3-------|

G|---------------------------0-2---------------|

D|-------------------0-2-4----------------------|

A|----------0-2-3------------------------------|

E|-0-2-3---------------------------------------|

but in the G Ionian there is the same first pattern, along with other keys and modes of the same first pattern.

So what i'm trying to ask is if they're both the same, whats the difference? And also, couldnt you just learn all of the patterns of the modes and just place them for what you mode you want?

Sorry if this is not clear, its kind of hard to explain what im trying to find out. Thanks for any help.
No, you can't use modes interchangeably like that. Same notes, but different intervals and entirely different contexts. The harmony determines the modality -- look at the theory sticky in this forum to clear this up a little bit.
So what i'm trying to ask is if they're both the same, whats the difference?
The root note and the intervals from the root are different. Because the root is different, the way the notes relate to the root is also different.

E is the root note of E aeolian. The notes E F# G A B C D then correspond to the intervals 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7.

G is the root note of G ionian. The notes G A B C D E F# then correspond to the intervals 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
The root note and the intervals from the root are different. Because the root is different, the way the notes relate to the root is also different.

E is the root note of E aeolian. The notes E F# G A B C D then correspond to the intervals 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7.

G is the root note of G ionian. The notes G A B C D E F# then correspond to the intervals 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.[/QUOTE

I understand that the intervals make the mode sound different, but i just dont knwo how to determine which mode im playing if they're both the same notes.
Last edited by summavilla at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by Ænimus Prime

G is the root note of G ionian. The notes G A B C D E F# then correspond to the intervals 1 2 3 4 5 6 7.[/QUOTE

I understand that the intervals make the mode sound different, but i just dont knwo how to determine which mode im playing if they're both the same notes.

Again, the harmony will determine the modality. If the harmony suggests E Aeolian (such as a static Em or Em7b13 chord) it'll be E Aeolian. Something like a static Gmaj7 or Gmaj6 would be suggestive of G Ionian.
Quote by summavilla

Again, the harmony will determine the modality. If the harmony suggests E Aeolian (such as a static Em or Em7b13 chord) it'll be E Aeolian. Something like a static Gmaj7 or Gmaj6 would be suggestive of G Ionian.

Oh ok, so pretty much if it uses E chords as the main chord and vice versa it will be probably be that key?
Quote by summavilla
Oh ok, so pretty much if it uses E chords as the main chord and vice versa it will be probably be that key?

A mode isn't a key; this is not quite as simple as you make it out to be here. Have a look at the theory sticky, as it should clear some of those up.
Quote by summavilla

+3.14149

The tonal center of the mode cant be different to the tonal center of the harmonic content. It's impossible to play X mode over Y chord. You would actually be playing Y mode over Y chord.

This reminds me, I have to do my maths homework.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by mike
This reminds me, I have to do my maths homework

Good luck, pi is 3.14159
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums