Page 1 of 9
Title says it all.

Nowadays we look at bands like Pantera, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Metallica, ect. as legendary bands. Some of us experienced the magic while others dug it up (younger players like me I guess lol).

Years from now when this generation gets old and wrinkly, who do you think will represent the guitar playing style of music like rock,metal,metalcore, ect.? Who are our kids (or other people's kids if you plan to live an open lifestyle lol) going to be talking about?

All of today's bands have talent. No doubt about it (well most of them ).

Just list some of the top 5-10 bands or artists if they do solo albums that you think will be ushered into the next generations as legendary or iconic.

Remember no flames

In no specific order:
Children of Bodom
Avenged Sevenfold
Trivium
possibly Bullet for My Valentine (idk why but I feel iffy about them)
Buckethead (although I'm unsure of whether he would represent the last gen or this generation)
Linkin Park
Opeth

All the ones I can possibly think of right now.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Last edited by TheBodomBullet at Jul 7, 2008,
Guthrie Govan, definitely.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The White Stripes
The Raconteurs
Wolfmother
Smashing Pumpkins
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Tool
A Perfect Circle (maybe)
Arctic Monkeys (if they get bigger in the US)
Last edited by Stratmaster458 at Jul 7, 2008,
Guthrie Govan, and Avenged Sevenfold kick ass. I think Buckethead is too technical, but I think the same about YM...so maybe disregard that.

fine, you can call me gay but I think John Mayer has a lot of potential for blues while he slowly breaks away from that pop teen bull****. Some of his live stuff, I have respect for him now. Come on, he's basically Clapton's bitch, and Clapton is a legend.

Oh, and I'm still gonna say Slash. He's still alive and kickin' I dunno what he's going to put out next (Velvet Revolver was decent, I want GnR Reunion!!!).
children of bodom
Opeth
Firewind
Muse
Bullet for my valentine
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
Are you seriously saying that FOB is the only band with no talent? I'd like to see you sing as well as Patrick Stump. Just because they don't showcase much technical proficiency doesn't mean that they are not talented.
I do agree with Linkin Park however, they are my favorite band (got me into guitar music), they have loads of fans, and at some point they had the most albums sold in the 21st Century.
Quote by bambo222
Guthrie Govan, and Avenged Sevenfold kick ass. I think Buckethead is too technical, but I think the same about YM...so maybe disregard that.

fine, you can call me gay but I think John Mayer has a lot of potential for blues while he slowly breaks away from that pop teen bull****. Some of his live stuff, I have respect for him now. Come on, he's basically Clapton's bitch, and Clapton is a legend.

Oh, and I'm still gonna say Slash. He's still alive and kickin' I dunno what he's going to put out next (Velvet Revolver was decent, I want GnR Reunion!!!).

John Mayer is very good, at makes some decent tunes. He should move onto a full blues direction. I heard his blues stuff and some of it's pretty good.
Quote by Stratmaster458
The White Stripes
The Raconteurs
Wolfmother
Smashing Pumpkins
Red Hot Chili Peppers

This, maybe AFI, their new stuff blows, but very early stuff was good. Probably Green day, even though none of their new stuff is that good... They did kind of usher in pop punk, and they are better than other similar bands.
Linkin Park
Avenged Sevenfold
Coheed and Cambria (potentially)
Nickelback (I don't like em as much as I used to, but I see them making plenty more hits)
Breaking Benjamin (for the whole post-grunge/alternative metal crowd, I think they are a consistent band in the genre)
Quote by Sound Mind
Are you seriously saying that FOB is the only band with no talent? I'd like to see you sing as well as Patrick Stump. Just because they don't showcase much technical proficiency doesn't mean that they are not talented.
I do agree with Linkin Park however, they are my favorite band (got me into guitar music), they have loads of fans, and at some point they had the most albums sold in the 21st Century.

Chill man it was a joke. I just really don't like Fall Out Boy lol. Don't worry. Editing lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
I'll also add:

Nirvana
Primus
The Offspring
Linkin Park
NickelBack
Rage Against the Machine
Tool (maybe)
Sublime (maybe)
Also idk why but ever since Into The Night I've seen Nickleback as the new "Santana" group lol. At least their style slightly reminds me of Santana.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by JoshRocco
I'll also add:

Nirvana
Primus
The Offspring
Linkin Park
NickelBack
Rage Against the Machine
Tool (maybe)
Sublime (maybe)

Nirvana's been around for a while though right? I mean how old or new are they? Same goes for RATM their already iconic.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by Stratmaster458
The White Stripes
The Raconteurs
Wolfmother
Smashing Pumpkins
Red Hot Chili Peppers

metallica started the same year as them, they really aren't considered this generation.
BTBAM once they drop the genre horing thing (I don't hate it, it just gets old)
Protest the Hero
Dave Weiner
Meshuggah
Opeth

EDIT: would Dream Theater count? They have legions of fans, but they have been around for a while now. And Opeth are actually older than most people think.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by aznrockerdude
Protest the Hero

Dammit I knew I was missing one.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by bambo222

Buckethead is too technical but somehow Govan isn't?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Copilot911
metallica started the same year as them, they really aren't considered this generation.

yeah I know but they are still relevant as in making albums that are still highly successful.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Nirvana's been around for a while though right? I mean how old or new are they? Same goes for RATM their already iconic.

Maybe I'm just of an older generation lol. I guess Nirvana doesn't work. Rage is still around though (Saw them last summer ).
I mean honestly I think for me Avenged Sevenfold stands out the most to me. Not just because of skill but because as much as I wasn't too much of a fan of their last album it sounded pretty good and I couldn't even organize it into a genre lol. A7x is slowly creating their own genre although they definetely shouldn't do what they did with their self-titled again.

Quote by JoshRocco
Maybe I'm just of an older generation lol. I guess Nirvana doesn't work. Rage is still around though (Saw them last summer ).

True dat

But Rage STARTED long before any of the newer bands arose if I remember right. Rage became iconic before this generation started I would say. Not quite today's generation.

Also, don't think that means

a)They aren't friggen awesome

b)It isn't friggen awesome that their still around.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Last edited by TheBodomBullet at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I mean honestly I think for me Avenged Sevenfold stands out the most to me. Not just because of skill but because as much as I wasn't too much of a fan of their last album it sounded pretty good and I couldn't even organize it into a genre lol. A7x is slowly creating their own genre although they definetely shouldn't do what they did with their self-titled again.

True dat

But Rage STARTED long before any of the newer bands arose if I remember right. Rage became iconic before this generation started I would say. Not quite today's generation.

Also, don't think that means

a)They aren't friggen awesome

b)It isn't friggen awesome that their still around.

Yeah I guess you are right, sometimes I look at my older brothers generation as my own, that's where I got a lot of musical tastes from. (IE Rage, Nirvana)
Definitly Shadows Fall. Way too underrated in my opinion.

Thier albums improve within every cd.

Jon Donais and Matt Bachand are a perfect duo.

Black Tide FOR SURE! These kids kick some ass!

Also hate if you want but definitly Trivium will be up there too.
This is my Signature.
I think:

Tool
NIN
Rage
Modest Mouse
A7X
Muse
Chili Peppers
White Stripes

A couple ones I saw in this thread that I didn't originally think of were Linkin Park and John Mayer. Linkin Park is a good call, although I wouldn't call any of the music they make "talentedly created music," they had a cool sound, created something new, and had a HUGE following. John Mayer is very talented himself, but with the music he's currently putting out, he's not quite there yet. He needs to drop the sellout BS (he can't work it like Linkin Park worked it) and needs to focus more on his actual musical talents. Play that damn guitar, and sing, and stop tayloring to 12 year old girls.
crazy talking animals
Quote by mrvile
I think:

Tool
NIN
Rage
Modest Mouse
A7X
Muse
Chili Peppers
White Stripes

A couple ones I saw in this thread that I didn't originally think of were Linkin Park and John Mayer. Linkin Park is a good call, although I wouldn't call any of the music they make "talentedly created music," they had a cool sound, created something new, and had a HUGE following. John Mayer is very talented himself, but with the music he's currently putting out, he's not quite there yet. He needs to drop the sellout BS (he can't work it like Linkin Park worked it) and needs to focus more on his actual musical talents. Play that damn guitar, and sing, and stop tayloring to 12 year old girls.

I agree. Just throwing it out there but Linkin Park has built up quite a damn reputation lol. Their extremely well known and in my mind are sure fire icons/legends of the next gen.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by mattscar
Definitly Shadows Fall. Way too underrated in my opinion.

Thier albums improve within every cd.

Jon Donais and Matt Bachand are a perfect duo.

Black Tide FOR SURE! These kids kick some ass!

Also hate if you want but definitly Trivium will be up there too.

Black Tide is great stuff. Got lots of time and youth on their hands which is great and also rare.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
I think Buckethead is too underground to be considered a legend.

John Mayer will probably be considered a legend later on if he pursues the blues; especially if he dies young.

Frusciante will probably be considered as another legend...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by bambo222
Oh what about Joe Satriani? I forget about him, I love his tunes =)

The guys from G3 were all my first thoughts but I was hesitant cuz I had no clue when any of them started out.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by bambo222
Oh what about Joe Satriani? I forget about him, I love his tunes =)

Like some other GREAT musicians who shouldn't be included in this list, I think Satch is a little too technical and guitar-oriented. Sure, he's an inspiration to guitarists all over the world, but aside from that, his music is basically just guitar playing. To make the list, he needs to really create a new sound which encompasses his music as a whole, not to mention he really needs to put himself out there are a BIG MUSICIAN as all the others in the list have...to a point, selling out, but in a way that pushes his inspiration onto not only guitarists but other musicians and non-musicians alike (as opposed to just making money). Right now, I don't think he has done that, and I personally think his time has passed.
crazy talking animals
Anything that has Dave Grohl in it. I predict that he will be the first musician of this century to be inducted into the RRHOF. I feel that he is the only great musician left. Of course, I could be leaving someone out....
Red Hot Chilli Peppers( yeah the bands kind old but they are still kickin out some fine tunes)
Tool
Protest The Hero
Lamb Of God
KillSwitch Engage
Soulfly
My Gear

Fender 2006 Highway 1 Stratocaster with SD Hot rails on Bridge
ESP LTD F-104 Bass
Roland Cube 30
Boss 0D 20 Overdrive/Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
People in this thread need to understand that we're not discussing what bands are going to be remembered. We're discussing what guitar playing styles are going to be remembered.
Quote by werty22
People in this thread need to understand that we're not discussing what bands are going to be remembered. We're discussing what guitar playing styles are going to be remembered.

TS alluded moreso to bands that would be remembered...

To me, the Chili Peppers stand out more than any other band.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by werty22

That's my point. A lot of the other bands mentioned have either redefined what sound the guitar can make, or more importantly, what role the guitar plays in contemporary music. While Satriani contributed a lot to guitar playing years ago, his time is over, and to compare his style to those of the most contemporary contributors would be like comparing the design of an old Mustang to that of, say, a Prius. The Mustang did a lot for us when it was around, but today, it's just going to be another car...unlike the Prius, which is currently redefining what a car can do.

Also, it's very important that you become quite well-known if you want anything of yours to be remembered. There are countless amateur guitarists out there who are doing things no rock star is even thinking about today...unfortunately their skills and creativity are going to die with them because the rest of the world isn't going to have the opportunity to hear it, and thus, be influenced.
crazy talking animals
In no particular order:

Bullet For My Valentine
Protest the Hero
Children of Bodom
Trivium
Dethklok
Into Eternity
I think children of bodom will become/is becoming the new "i want to be hardcore" metal band to listen to. They are damn good, but I feel they are becoming of "those bands"

Also..In Flames. UNBEIEVEABLE songwriting. Although most of their top tunes were a few years back, there is no denying that they kick some serious ass.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412