What characteristics do you enjoy most in folk? Kooky guitar, fingerstyle, straight up chords, riffing, funny lyrics, imagery, straight forward lyrics, low voice, weird vibrato, what do you like about the bands you like? And what characteristics would make your perfect/ideal artist.

Mine:
Low voice, fingerstyle, imagery lyrics, mountain man-esque lol.
The qualities I usually look for in folk music is whether or not it's the Avett Brothers.
_______
|||||||||||||||
Quote by dannyisokay
The qualities I usually look for in folk music is whether or not it's the Avett Brothers.

noice choice.
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
noice choice.

Well it's just funny that I'd turn on Mignonette and then find some thread about folk music.

In all seriousness, I like folk that's Irish, bluegrass-oriented, unique, and/or honest. Honest in that the artist is not trying too hard to be "folky". At that point it's like "shut up".
_______
|||||||||||||||
If you've got an original voice and put bends in your fingerpicking you've immediately won me over. Otherwise descending chords (like 'Day is done' by Nick Drake) is usually a score. Or you could just write beautiful songs...
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
i think think this was mentioned a couple of posts above, but honest lyrics. stuff about pain, drugs, girls, etc that may not be pretty but makes a good song. i also like a little twang with my folk. and harmonica. i love the sound of just an acoustic guitar and harmonica.