When I first got my Fender strat the bridge was a bit up but I didn't think too much about it. When I put size 10 strings on it went stupidly high, so high I had to untight the strings. So what is it I need to do?

Thanks.
Whenever you change gauge sizes and you have a trem set up to float it will need to be re-adjusted.

Edit: To adjust the Fender trem to float you need to loosen the two screws that hold the spring claw but before you do that it is a good idea to place a shim about 4mm underneath the back of the bridge (between the bridge and body) and loosen the claw screws till the bridge clamps on the shim. Then tune up guitar to concert pitch. Make sure the bridge is still clamped on the shim and if it isn't loosen or tighten the claw screws so the bridge clamps back down. If the guitar is in tune and the bridge hasn't moved off the shim, pull out the shim and check to see if the bridge stays in place (about 1/8 inch from the body at the back) and is still in tune. Fine tune it and make any small adjustments to the bridge checking to make sure the bridge stays about 1/8 inch.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Last edited by shredder.cheese at Jul 7, 2008,
You may or may not have to mess with the truss rod, as it all depends on the specific guitar and also how far of a gauge jump was made. On my strat I have 8-11-14-22w-30-38 and if I move up to 9-11-16-24w-32-42 I don't need to adjust the truss rod but for my BT-6 if I made that move up or down I would have to make adjustments.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Taking it to your local music shop and getting a setup will be the easiest way to solve your problem.