Operation pimp my valveking:

Phase1: MXR ten band eq and Ibanez od-9 tube screamer (effects loop)

phase2: V30 speaker

phase3: jj or some other tubes

Do those sound like they would help my sound? I'm trying to make it sound more high gain, more of a dual rec sound.
Ovation Celebrity
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey Valve King 112
that sounds like it would work.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by TheKaiser77
why dont you just sell it and upgrade?

Because that's more expensive and less feasible than simply pimping the Valveking.

Besides, eventually he would want to "pimp" the new amp, which would add more on top of its costs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Because that's more expensive and less feasible than simply pimping the Valveking.

Besides, eventually he would want to "pimp" the new amp, which would add more on top of its costs.

Not really. It's not going to raise the resale value of the amp much and he's not going to get his money's worth if he ever wanted to sell it.

I really don't understand why people buy the VK and then upgrade it, why not buy an amp that costs a little more that you like the sound of stock?

If you really want to "upgrade" it, buy a 2x12 speaker cab instead, MUCH better investment in the long run.

Also, why do you have the OD-9 running in the FX-Loop? The 10-Band should be in the loop and the OD-9 in front.

It seems like you have a good bit of cash to be spending on this, or will in the future. You're not going to get a Recto sound out of a VK, it's as simple as that, you might get enough gain, but not the Recto tone. If you want that tone, sell your VK and buy a used Rect-O-Verb or Trem-O-Verb.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
can you put recto tubes in it?
ive heard that you can and ive heard that you cant

another cool idea is to put LEDs in the amp too light up the tubes and all that
im kinda sad cuz my amp has a solid marshall-like grille so you cant see through it anyway
Quote by MOLAAAK
can you put recto tubes in it?

Recto tubes? I presume you're talking about putting a Rectifier tube in an amp that has a SS rectifier? No, you can't.

Why would you want to in the first place? Just because it has a tube rectifier doesn't mean it'll sound like a Mesa Recto
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you want that tone, sell your VK and buy a used Rect-O-Verb or Trem-O-Verb.

This.

You'll never even get close with a VK.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Recto tubes? I presume you're talking about putting a Rectifier tube in an amp that has a SS rectifier? No, you can't.

Why would you want to in the first place? Just because it has a tube rectifier doesn't mean it'll sound like a Mesa Recto

im not saying you could ever get that kind of tone from it but you might get a cool tone that you might like even more than the mesa
Quote by MOLAAAK
im not saying you could ever get that kind of tone from it but you might get a cool tone that you might like even more than the mesa

Yes, but it's not physically possible without modding the hell out of it.

The VK is SS rectified, which is what most metal players will use on a Recto anyway. Tube rectification causes warmth but at a loss of tightness in your sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
gotcha

i was just curious

my friend suggested that i put recto tubes in my amp and i gave it an "ish dont think so"
People need to specify weather they mean RECTIFIER TUBES (ie. tubes used to rectify the signal, instead of diodes) OR power amp tubes from a recto.

Don't even think about changing the method of rectification in an amp.
AND the Recto power amp tubes are just rebranded EX, SOVTEK or somtimes JJ. So buy some good tubes instead of risking Mesa's rebranded tubes.

Pimp the VK, you get some nice tones but if you want recto punch and tone get a Recto.
Ibanez RGR08LTD
Spear Gladius [with BKP Nailbombs] (soon)

Peavey valve king 212
Orange 212 cab

Pedals of assorted typed
Phase 4: Realise you could've bought a far better amp for all the money you've pumped into the piece of crap Valveking and headbutt a wall.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Phase 4: Realise you could've bought a far better amp for all the money you've pumped into the piece of crap Valveking and headbutt a wall.

Name 3 NEW tube amps that I could of bought for $400 instead of the VK?
Ovation Celebrity
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey Valve King 112
Quote by drewfromden

I had to spend $718 to get my Valveking after shipping charges and the markup the music store charged.

Also, with a discount. It probably would've cost me about a grand without the discount.

Why? Because Jamaica sucks.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by drewfromden

NO.

$400 PLUS the cost of your mods.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
NO.

$400 PLUS the cost of your mods.

Or in this case, the price you could sell the VK for plus the cost of your mods.
Quote by drewfromden

Make that almost $600 after the speaker and tube upgrades, which is what I object to.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music