I've been playing for 4-5 years and think it's about time to upgrade from my starter "Ashton" guitar. The amp is a Fender Frontman 212R (yes I was tricked into buying it, I was told they were good amps). I play through a zoom 505 II :|

I was thinking about buying an Ibanez RG series (I like stuff like BFMV/Atreyu/A7X and Billy Talent/Cancer Bats/Alexisonfire)

and

A Boss Metalcore distortion pedal (because the distortion on the Frontman is horrible)

Does this sound like a good idea for an upgrade? At the moment my tone is terrible. Sounds like I'm playing over a radio even when I have bass and treble maxxed.
It's a good upgrade from what you have. I can't believe you bought the fender amp. haha
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
If you like RGs go for it as long as it doesn't have a trem (I assume you aren't going prestige).

Don't bother with the metal core. If you must get a distortion pedal before you get a new amp, I recommend the Metal Muff.
Quote by T!AN
If you like RGs go for it as long as it doesn't have a trem (I assume you aren't going prestige).

Don't bother with the metal core. If you must get a distortion pedal before you get a new amp, I recommend the Metal Muff.

+1 on the metal muff they are sooo much better
Quote by pcell619
It's a good upgrade from what you have. I can't believe you bought the fender amp. haha

everyone makes mistakes.

i suggest you buy a new amp first. thats where the core of your tone is going to come from. its useless buying pedals for a not so great amp. try going for a tube combo. B-52 makes a nice all tube combo thats only like $600. a tube amp will make a HUGE difference in your tone.
go play aorund at guitar center or another guitar store for a little while, play with the amps and such, than decide from there.
Quote by pcell619

Shut up !

I feel so stupid for buying it. Although the reviews didn't seem to bad and the guy at the store plugged it in to a $5 billion dollar strat and it sounded awesome - most likely due to the guitar and not the amp.

But I still don't understand what i am paying for really. Will the tone be like "wow, it's like I'm listening to BFMV play live!" (saw them in sydney, was awesome)

And I guess the neck will also feel faster etc.

As for buying a new amp, well...I only bought the fender amp like a year ago so it would be a huge waste of money to just replace it
Last edited by Platinumcs at Jul 7, 2008,
If your looking for a big tone change, I agree with thespian948 about getting a new amp. It would eliminate your need for a distortion pedal as well. If you don't absolutely despise your guitar and don't mind waiting, it would be the best route to go.
depends on your price range. i was never a fan of the ibanez rg personally (it was my second guitar) but that's probably due to the cheap floyd licensed trem on it. i'd look into schecter if you're into bfmv and a7x. and as much as i hate to endorse line 6, the spider 212 valve isn't a bad amp at all for the midrange tube combos, and it comes with plenty of effects and distortion varieties.

and nothing is going to make you sound like them playing live except for your skill level, and lots of eq tweaking. it's a lot more in the playing style than the equipment than you might think.
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
Quote by T!AN
If your looking for a big tone change, I agree with thespian948 about getting a new amp. It would eliminate your need for a distortion pedal as well. If you don't absolutely despise your guitar and don't mind waiting, it would be the best route to go.

Only bought the fender amp a year ago I don't want to replace it just yet....
My guitar is reaching the end of its life also.

Can someone tell me what it was like going from a starter guitar to a $1000 guitar?
(I have never played another electric guitar that wasn't a starter lol)
Quote by Platinumcs

As for buying a new amp, well...I only bought the fender amp like a year ago so it would be a huge waste of money to just replace it

not if you sell it? i've made some pretty unsound purchases in the past, but selling/consolidating old equipment is the best way to get a head start on an upgrade.
Marshall MF350

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
Quote by Platinumcs
But I still don't understand what i am paying for really. Will the tone be like "wow, it's like I'm listening to BFMV play live!" (saw them in sydney, was awesome)

A new guitar shouldn't make you sound worse.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
A new guitar shouldn't make you sound worse.

Flames not welcome in this thread.
They also played with A7x and Atreyu. In terms of the quality of their playing they were spot on, but as for stage presence BFMV wasn't as good as Atreyu or A7x.
Quote by Platinumcs

Can someone tell me what it was like going from a starter guitar to a $1000 guitar?
(I have never played another electric guitar that wasn't a starter lol)

the difference is AMAZING. especially if you go to one with a nice good action on the neck. if you're gonna spend a thousand, check out the jackson sl3, they're not american made jackons, but the neckthru and overall feel of the guitar would be AMAZING compared to what you're used to on a starter.

i went from a squier strat to a low end ibanez rg, to the les paul custom. each time it was like a whole different level of playability. i cringe trying to play some of my faster stuff on the ibanez now.. it just doesn't cut it anymore haha
Marshall MF350

Quote by strat0blaster

It was pretty hardcore.
Quote by Platinumcs
They also played with A7x and Atreyu. In terms of the quality of their playing they were spot on, but as for stage presence BFMV wasn't as good as Atreyu or A7x.

that's because a7x sold out and became an mtv glam band. which is a shame because they were my favorite band back in 2001/2002. too bad. but they do put on an awesome live show, seen em twice.
Marshall MF350

Quote by strat0blaster

It was pretty hardcore.
Quote by CvPrEpKiLLaH
that's because a7x sold out and became an mtv glam band. which is a shame because they were my favorite band back in 2001/2002. too bad. but they do put on an awesome live show, seen em twice.

Same as me lol.

I loved waking the fallen but with their latest album I just felt like crying because another band I liked had gone to crap.
Quote by Platinumcs
Same as me lol.

I loved waking the fallen but with their latest album I just felt like crying because another band I liked had gone to crap.

sounding the seventh trumpet was epic. waking the fallen was good. city of evil was ok. 2 or 3 songs on the new one rock, but other than that... meh.

just like metallica man, popularity polluted their music.
Marshall MF350

Quote by strat0blaster

It was pretty hardcore.
Quote by Platinumcs

How was that comment a flame post?

He is just saying, a new guitar isn't going to make you sound any worse than you do with your current gear, so don't hesitate to upgrade thinking that there isn't going to be a difference.
crazy talking animals
Quote by mrvile
How was that comment a flame post?

He is just saying, a new guitar isn't going to make you sound any worse than you do with your current gear, so don't hesitate to upgrade thinking that there isn't going to be a difference.

No he is saying that BFMV is crap and getting a new guitar isn't going to make you sound bad like they are.
Quote by Copilot911
No he is saying that BFMV is crap and getting a new guitar isn't going to make you sound bad like they are.

Hmm. I guess I kind of get it.

I woulda just been like "BFMV is crap." (honestly I've never actually heard BFMV)

Whatever, proceed with the thread
crazy talking animals
Quote by Platinumcs
Same as me lol.

FLAMES ARE NOT WELCOME HERE GOOD SIR.
Quote by T!AN

+1 metal muff FTW
I used to have an Ashton starter guitar up until about 3 months ago. I had it for about 2 years. It was okay for a starter guitar. To be honest, there wasn't a GIANT difference when I bought my Jackson RR3. Sure the neck was a bit thinner and I now had a floyd but didn't make too much of a difference for me.

Maybe I just don't remember the Ashton that well...

Anyway, good luck with whatever guitar/amp you're buying.
Quote by Platinumcs
Shut up !

I feel so stupid for buying it. Although the reviews didn't seem to bad and the guy at the store plugged it in to a $5 billion dollar strat and it sounded awesome - most likely due to the guitar and not the amp.

And I guess the neck will also feel faster etc.

yeah but the tone u get will b sooo worth it
plus u can pawn it off to some other sucker for money haha
Quote by CvPrEpKiLLaH
the difference is AMAZING. especially if you go to one with a nice good action on the neck. if you're gonna spend a thousand, check out the jackson sl3, they're not american made jackons, but the neckthru and overall feel of the guitar would be AMAZING compared to what you're used to on a starter.

i went from a squier strat to a low end ibanez rg, to the les paul custom. each time it was like a whole different level of playability. i cringe trying to play some of my faster stuff on the ibanez now.. it just doesn't cut it anymore haha

...but the difference in upgrading from your starter guitar to a $1000 guitar will be much less than the difference you will hear in upgrading from your current amp to a $1000 amp.

I know the temptation to just buy a new guitar is great, but if you do the smart thing and purchase a much better amp first (or if your budget is actually $1000 you can actually purchase BOTH a pretty decent tube combo and a pretty decent upgrade to your current guitar), you'll thank yourself later when you know better.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by FourSticks17
...but the difference in upgrading from your starter guitar to a $1000 guitar will be much less than the difference you will hear in upgrading from your current amp to a $1000 amp.

I know the temptation to just buy a new guitar is great, but if you do the smart thing and purchase a much better amp first (or if your budget is actually $1000 you can actually purchase BOTH a pretty decent tube combo and a pretty decent upgrade to your current guitar), you'll thank yourself later when you know better.

+1000000