well I've got a C30 I've been able to use lately which will be fine while I save up for the Budda.

but I'm looking for a good recording package for under 1000 bucks.

we are in the process of moving and the house we are moving to has a seperate little house thats like 10 by 10 or so. and I plan on making it a studio.

so what do you guys think.

here's my ideas.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Firewire-410-Recording-Package?sku=482339

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Akai-MPK-49-Recording-Package?sku=703254

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-Firebox-Studio-Package?sku=247106

I really want whatever you reccomend to come with monitors. and yeah.

what do you think I need to deck out my new studio! lol
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
That last link, for the presonus one looks good. Although i dont know all there is to know about the recording stuff, that kit looks pretty well ready to get you started.

As for speakers, i use a set of Rokit 6" that i picked up for $200 for both.

You could also go about it by buying everything separately.....which is a better alternative if you find something more to your liking or that is better recommended.
Quote by dogismycopilot
That last link, for the presonus one looks good. Although i dont know all there is to know about the recording stuff, that kit looks pretty well ready to get you started.

As for speakers, i use a set of Rokit 6" that i picked up for $200 for both.

You could also go about it by buying everything separately.....which is a better alternative if you find something more to your liking or that is better recommended.

thats kinda what I was thinking either the first link or the last are my top two choices.

I thought about buying everything seperatly but I think it's gonna cost more in the long run. and I still need to sound proof and buy some wall hangers for guitars and other things like that
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
what all are you looking to record? (drums?)
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Everything... lol. but Drums and Guitar are the most important
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Damn, you are going to need a multi-track recorder (one that simultaneously records up to 6, 8 10, etc microphones at the same time). Also, you might need a drum-microphone package, from Shure or any of the other top brands if you dont already have enough microphones.

http://www.activemusician.com/item--MP.FIREPOD?ref=fg&ovchn=SCU&ovtac=CMP&ovcpn=&ovcrn=PreSonus+FirePod+24-bit%2F96K+FireWire+Recording+Studio

^that is what you would need. Plus speakers, cables, mics THEN soundproofing and guitar hangers and whatnot.

FYI: You could get away from using that if you just record guitar, but if you want to record drums as well, that requires in the neighborhood of about 5 mics.
Quote by dogismycopilot
Damn, you are going to need a multi-track recorder (one that simultaneously records up to 6, 8 10, etc microphones at the same time). Also, you might need a drum-microphone package, from Shure or any of the other top brands if you dont already have enough microphones.

http://www.activemusician.com/item--MP.FIREPOD?ref=fg&ovchn=SCU&ovtac=CMP&ovcpn=&ovcrn=PreSonus+FirePod+24-bit%2F96K+FireWire+Recording+Studio

^that is what you would need. Plus speakers, cables, mics THEN soundproofing and guitar hangers and whatnot.

FYI: You could get away from using that if you just record guitar, but if you want to record drums as well, that requires in the neighborhood of about 5 mics.

yep I know. BUT Electronic set that and I have most of the mics if I wanna do an acoustic set

and I have a mixer also
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Haha an electronic set? Well ****, then just get a small mixer or something that will work later on in your career.

I just checked out an Onyx Satilite, and i think that the set for 569 or whatever, the last link in your first post, will do the best for you. Its cheap, has what you need, and got great reviews. Good luck with it. There might be another opinion out there for you, but it looks good to me!
cool thanks! I'll see what else I can find
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
To record electric sets you should trigger a VST with MIDI in my opinion.
They are great setups (especially the Rolands) but the sounds of the modules get boring after a while (especially the TD8 and under).

Get I say go for the last link on your original post, it has a bunch of inputs and MIDI support as well. If you were to track acoustic drums the larger PreSonus FP10 would be the better choice but I cant see you using all of those inputs in a small studio setup and so its not worth spending money on.

You should spend the most on your mics, monitors, and interface. Cables and stands add up so factor them in but lower cost for those will work fine.

Firewire is the better choice when working with interfaces with more than 2 inputs on them.

As for software, Cakewalk sonar works very well with MIDI and I enjoy working with the program in my studio. I would suggest either that or Cubase.

You don't need a mixer in todays digital studios, just an interface. Mix using the software.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 8, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
To record electric sets you should trigger a VST with MIDI in my opinion.
They are great setups (especially the Rolands) but the sounds of the modules get boring after a while (especially the TD8 and under).

Get I say go for the last link on your original post, it has a bunch of inputs and MIDI support as well. If you were to track acoustic drums the larger PreSonus FP10 would be the better choice but I cant see you using all of those inputs in a small studio setup and so its not worth spending money on.

You should spend the most on your mics, monitors, and interface. Cables and stands add up so factor them in but lower cost for those will work fine.

Firewire is the better choice when working with interfaces with more than 2 inputs on them.

As for software, Cakewalk sonar works very well with MIDI and I enjoy working with the program in my studio. I would suggest either that or Cubase.

You don't need a mixer in todays digital studios, just an interface. Mix using the software.

Ask and he shall provide.....my work here is done!
Thanks Moody.

There are a couple things Ihave to ask.

Would a Pro tools set up be better for me? I know how to use most of it cause I was trianed on some.

the one thing I liked about the other to setups is they came with midi keyboards. Ideas?

I"m Gonna need help with mics. even though I don't use them often (I don't sing. and usually go direct into whatever with my rockman stuff) I will record acoustic sets often still. I'm thinking atleast 3 SM57s. 2 for overhead on the symbols and 1 on the snare? and possibley another when I do use amps.

what are some good monitors? I'm thinking the ones that come with the package should be fine till I find some but gimme some Ideas for later.

and some good software? I know how to use protools somewhat thats why I was leaning twoards the first link. But I was also thinking of cubease and cakewalk if I had to pick I would go for cubease.

I didn't plan On getting a mixer Plus I have one for now anyways if I do need it
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
bumpity
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
If you know ProTools HD well and enjoy working with it, ...and have the money for it...I say go for that setup however I feel most studios dont need PT unless they plan on going all the way.

M-audio and others make keyboards you can plug into your PC using USB which will give you MIDI control. They are just as good as a standard MIDI keyboard IMO.

for overheads on drums and other setups its best to use small dia. condenser mics IMO. Large dia. condensers work well for vocals in the studio and combining the two will do well when it comes to acoustic guitar. The Rode NT1A is a nice mic to start out with and is a nice general purpose mic. The MXL 990 and 991 set is what I use. They work great on acoustic guitar and are fair when it comes to vocals.

to start off, KRK monitors are very nice. See this:
http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=ce56fe1ca9e04f0593435075f9b22635

Software choice comes down to what you need to do and what you enjoy working on. I personally use and like Sonar producer which does everything I need it to do in my studio.
dang man thanks for that site.

well I think I'll go cubase or cakewalk if it's cheaper then.

I will also take your advice on mics and stuff. you've been alot of help thanks alot man

I will probably buy one of the M audio keyboards also

anything else?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era