I'm talking tonal-wise. Are there any fundamental differences in tone/overall sound? I know PRS uses aged wood which allows for minimum warpage. They're both set-thru necks so the sustain is premium. But is their anything that distinctively sets them apart, in terms of sound?
if there is anything that sets them apart in tone, it'd be your choice, your preference, so just go with the one u like most
when your dealing with guitars this expensive, its probably best to try them both out because they will both be great quality. At these prices, it all comes down to preference
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Custom 24s IIRC are typically (If not always) fit with trems and that is going to alter the sound quite a bit. Pickup spacing is also compromised quite a bit due to it having 24 frets.

While I love PRS, I've never really cared for the Custom 24, largely because I don't like trems and don't need 24 frets. On that note, if you do not require a trem and/or 24 frets, the PRS McCarty model is absolutely stellar
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
what country are you in? that'll affect prices and availability/prices of other similarly high-quality guitars which are doubtless worth a try.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The McCarty model eh? I'll check it out.

And I can't say I really have a preference between the tremolo and the stopbar style.

I'm in America bro!
oh how your thread post is ignorant. no offense or anything. any good luthier knows that seasoned wood is no better than kiln dried wood, age doesnt matter, in fact age is worse. set-thru will not improve sustain for the simple fact that there is a glue joint holding the neck, which severely cuts high-frequencies... and guess what sustain rings longer? high frequencies.

They will be tonally the same, the PRS will likely sound better, their pickups are much higher quality, gibsons pickups are chinese junk.
To each his own on the wood aspect then man.

And every set-thru neck guitar I've ever played has had a longer sustain than a bolt on. Could just be me though...

The LP pickups are junk?
^PRS pickups are made in China. Gibson pickups are about the same as PRS ones, except the burstbuckers which are actually pretty good. Both of those guitars deserve pickup swaps IMO.
I haven't played a Supreme in a while, but the two are very different beasts. There are more differences than I could list here.
their made in china, yet gibson cleverly disguises it by stamping Gibson USA on he bottoms of them. bolt ons are lab-proven to have more sustain and better transfer of energy. dont say "wwell different pickups.. different woods" it was done in hundreds of various ways, guitar building magazine is a great mag to subscribe too, but its 200 dollars a year =[
Quote by Roc8995
^PRS pickups are made in China.
I haven't played a Supreme in a while, but the two are very different beasts. There are more differences than I could list here.

PRS is 2 hours from me, ive been to the factory many times, and ive seen them wind pickups there.
Huh, I guess I'm wrong on that then. I wonder what I was thinking of.
Regardless of origin, I think the burstbuckers sound better, if for some reason you insisted on keeping the stock pickups.
Quote by LP Addict
their made in china, yet gibson cleverly disguises it by stamping Gibson USA on he bottoms of them. bolt ons are lab-proven to have more sustain and better transfer of energy. dont say "wwell different pickups.. different woods" it was done in hundreds of various ways, guitar building magazine is a great mag to subscribe too, but its 200 dollars a year =[

How can I argue with that?
Quote by DingoDance
The McCarty model eh? I'll check it out.

And I can't say I really have a preference between the tremolo and the stopbar style...
McCarty model hands down.

Easily the best guitar I've ever owned.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
If I had the money, I'd go for PRS 513. Very versatile.
Quote by Albert Einstein
Nuh-uh. Nuh-uh. NUH-UH. NOPE. NO! NOPE! WRONG! NO! UR AN IDIOT! STFU! GTFO!

Quote by genghisgandhi
Eyebrows has no Whoopi Goldberg, for never is she surprised?

Quote by Roc8995
^PRS pickups are made in China. Gibson pickups are about the same as PRS ones, except the burstbuckers which are actually pretty good. Both of those guitars deserve pickup swaps IMO.

Not even close to accurate, and I'm confused as to where you get that information.

I have lived withing 30-40 minutes of the Stevensville MD PRS factory for years. I have friends and family who work there. I have toured/visited the factory many times. ALL PRS USA MADE GUITARS have hand wound USA made pickups. The Korean SE models do not.... and any other guitar that is a PRS that does not have PRS pickups will specify the brand of pickup, from there you can figure it out..... but the OVERWHELMING majority of USA PRS guitars have PRS pickups, which are all made in Stevensville Maryland. Earlier models made at the West Street Factory in Annapolis Maryland (prior to the Stevensville Factory) did have other brand pickups in them, as at that time PRS did not make their own pickups.... but for that you would have to go back to a PRS made before the "newer" factory was open.

And to the TS, Both of those guitars "feel", play, and sound decidedly differently. I would encourage you to try each out for a long time, before investing the dollars into those high quality instruments.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Last edited by brianthemayan at Jul 8, 2008,
Quote by Phobos&Deimos
If I had the money, I'd go for PRS 513. Very versatile.
Versatile, yes.
Confusing, even more so

A friend of mine has one and while I love the way it feels and sounds, IMHO, its just too complicated for practical implementation.

Maybe if it were mine and I could use it everyday, I'd come to grips with all of the combinations, but [again] IMHO, its overkill.

Gimme the typical Ibanez 5-way with 2 humbuckers and I'm good
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by DingoDance

I'm in America bro!

ah... i'd maybe look at tyler, suhr, tom anderson etc., stuff like that, in addition to gibson and prs. Might as well try everything you can. Those might be more expensive, though, i'm not too well up on USA prices.

i agree with the mccarty suggestion above, i tried one of those ages back (i think it had the artist pack, was ridiculously expensive, but then I'm in the UK and you aren't) and it was very nice. Definitely worth looking into as well.

i have no idea about the pickups or where they're made but burstbuckers are nice pickups, haven't really noticed anything wrong with PRS ones either, though a pickup swap (to boutique handwound pickups) would probably improve things in either case... though if you like the stock pickups, it wouldn't be a necessity.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Supreme.....and I can tell you....it's absolutley amazing....I think I was lucky with mine as you hear such horror stories these days about the quality control on these things...but mine was immaculate.... I use it for blues....funk....classic rock but mainly metal....and it copes very well tone wise. I can't speak for the PRS but I've heard they're just as versitile.....just whatever you do...make sure you are playing whichever one you choose through a good tube amp.
I own a Supreme. While it's a great intrument and all, it's not worth the price tag. You can get a used Les Paul Custom, which is what the Supreme is essentially, just more fancy and hollowed out, for much less.

The Supreme comes with pretty turdy pickups and it's a pain to swap stuff since it has no cavities, you have to go through the jack plate.

The one thing I do like about the Supreme is that it's light and it resonates and sustains very well.

The PRS has a completely different feel and sounds a little different, try them both and see what you like.

Bang for your buck though, go PRS.
the prs will sound better and have more versatility due to surperior pickups and better access to the higher frets, not to mention the thing doesn't weight like a dead stone around your neck,
Quote by kckyle
the prs will sound better and have more versatility due to surperior pickups and better access to the higher frets, not to mention the thing doesn't weight like a dead stone around your neck,

The Les Paul Supreme weighs less. It's hollowed.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The Les Paul Supreme weighs less. It's hollowed.

ew...so it has the Swiss cheese design? eww lol oh thats right all the new lp are swiss cheesed
Quote by kckyle
ew...so it has the Swiss cheese design? eww lol oh thats right all the new lp are swiss cheesed

Nope, not like that. It's not standard chambering. IT'S PRETTY MUCH HOLLOW.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Nope, not like that. It's not standard chambering. IT'S PRETTY MUCH HOLLOW.

And it's still pretty heavy!!
Quote by gurg06
And it's still pretty heavy!!

What? No it isn't. It's lighter than my Strat for christ sake!
I went down to GC today and played a McCarty II out of "The Vault"

Wow...

Haven't gotten the chance to play the supreme yet, but I'm anxious
Quote by DingoDance

Wow...

Haven't gotten the chance to play the supreme yet, but I'm anxious

You're going to be disappointed.
This isn't evan open for discussion lol.

The PRS in terms of build quality, assembly, woods used, electronics, versatility wipes the floor with it. You buy a PRS with your mind and Gibson with your Heart.

I had to buy a PRS before a gibson Custom. Nothing will stop me loving the LP shape, sound and the whole Gibson attraction, but the PRS is technically a better guitar. The necks on PRS's and the intonation and set up are flawless, not forgetting the hardware they use and finishes on their woods.
Quote by jm1681
Versatile, yes.
Confusing, even more so

A friend of mine has one and while I love the way it feels and sounds, IMHO, its just too complicated for practical implementation.

Maybe if it were mine and I could use it everyday, I'd come to grips with all of the combinations, but [again] IMHO, its overkill.

Gimme the typical Ibanez 5-way with 2 humbuckers and I'm good

I agree, but I tend to play a lot of different styles of music. Plus it looks awesome as fvck. It's definately the guitar I would buy if I had $3000 that I probably got by accident.

"Don't you go spendin' it all on no fancy record layer."
Comes to mind.

Oh Yeah, and +50 to this guy:
Quote by GrissomFan
This isn't evan open for discussion lol.

The PRS in terms of build quality, assembly, woods used, electronics, versatility wipes the floor with it. You buy a PRS with your mind and Gibson with your Heart.

I had to buy a PRS before a gibson Custom. Nothing will stop me loving the LP shape, sound and the whole Gibson attraction, but the PRS is technically a better guitar. The necks on PRS's and the intonation and set up are flawless, not forgetting the hardware they use and finishes on their woods.
Quote by Albert Einstein
Nuh-uh. Nuh-uh. NUH-UH. NOPE. NO! NOPE! WRONG! NO! UR AN IDIOT! STFU! GTFO!

Quote by genghisgandhi
Eyebrows has no Whoopi Goldberg, for never is she surprised?

Last edited by Phobos&Deimos at Jul 9, 2008,
id go for the PRS, you should try the PRS custom 22 and the SC245 and SC250 as well as a custom 24 and Mccarty

if i was going to go for a gibson though id go for a lp custom or a historic reissue
PRS Custom 22
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Road Worn Telecaster
Fairclough Sky Accoustic

Laney VC15-110
Roland MicroCube
Quote by DingoDance

Wow...
Yeah, that sounds about right

Quote by Phobos&Deimos
I agree, but I tend to play a lot of different styles of music. Plus it looks awesome as fvck. It's definately the guitar I would buy if I had $3000 that I probably got by accident...
Don't get me wrong, if I had the money, I'd probably get one too
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头