I was wondering what fields should I study before I start a professional band?

I really want something in Music industry.

I'm 15 so I'm just thinking ahead...
Last edited by Graveworm at Jul 7, 2008,
are you talking like a nationally touring, we're rockstars kind of band?
or a bunch of professional musicians who gig at local events and such?
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Quote by rebelmidget
are you talking like a nationally touring, we're rockstars kind of band?
or a bunch of professional musicians who gig at local events and such?

Like professional touring kind of band that makes records

I know this is not going to happen just like that but that is my goal for my future and I'm going to work hard for it.
Well...what do you like? Cultures? Music? Science? Politics?

Study that...

Just don't get a BA or a BBus...both of those = no respect, I know a guy who graduated with a BBus Management Major...first of all he HAD TO apply for management roles, and various places (supermarkets, fastfood, callcentres etc.)

Got rejected for all of them...He's back at uni now, studying computer science...

EDIT: Music specific courses = Sound Design or Music Production...that is all unless you have your AMEB's or whatever they call them where you're from.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Last edited by Shredder XXX at Jul 7, 2008,
You don't really need to study at uni to go and be a pro band. If you feel you need to, see if anywhere does a music course. But go to uni and study whatever the hell you like! Just make sure you enjoy it. Plus, you'll have a degree if the band goes tits up andit doesn't work out.

Best of luck to you!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by Graveworm

major in beer and minor in bitches

edit: i'm sorry? i didn't realize you were so serious...and to be fair how can you give a one minute warning do you think i hang around all threads i post in? but honestly....what would you study in university to help you be a professional musician? obviously you can take music...that's what my friend is doing but that is more for composition and to work in the music business. to be in a band you shouldn't take anything. take whatever you enjoy studying. and don't be so annoying and report people for such trivial matters. you have a lot to learn, so smarten up.

double edit: and in my opinion , my post was very insightful and relevant to your op. do you not understand the purpose of university? yes you learn things, but most importantly you are supposed to have fun, university is a life experience more that consists of more than just classes. and that is what i was trying to tell you.

so please be merciful mod... : )..i have tried to explain myself as much as possible.
Last edited by tona_107 at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by tona_107
major in beer and minor in bitches

I'm giving you 1 minute before I report you for off topic spam.

EDIT: *reported*
Last edited by Graveworm at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by Graveworm

dude really?
I want Super Saiyan abilities
Quote by Graveworm

Dude you've been here less than 2 months - GTFO.

How have you in anyway contributed to this thread? NOTHING. So technically I could report this post, so STFU.
Stop the flaming.

To the TS: You should not underestimate how hard it is to find and maintain a proper job in the music industry, let alone having a professional band. I suggest you think about it a bit more and in the end, keep it a hobby or seriously go for it.

End thread response: Do something you like.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by Ht666

How have you in anyway contributed to this thread? NOTHING. So technically I could report this post, so STFU.

That is irrelevant. Stop being such a fool or get a warning yourself. He's fulfilling his obligation to report spam. I don't care if this isn't my moderated forum, I'm allergic to holier-than-thou arrogant a-holes like yourself.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Ht666

FYI, this is my thread.
Quote by elvenkindje
Stop the flaming.

To the TS: You should not underestimate how hard it is to find and maintain a proper job in the music industry, let alone having a professional band. I suggest you think about it a bit more and in the end, keep it a hobby or seriously go for it.

End thread response: Do something you like.

I love playing / composing music and I don't see myself anywhere else except playing shows.

I learned to alway to keep a dream a live and I wouldn't let it pass me by.
Get a teacher, get a band, do research, learn theory, develop ear, learn to improvise, learn to compose, learn to play the piano, audition, win.

But always stay realistic about possibilities.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
and you do well!
i don't have any idea of how the composition course is, but i'm gonna take it anyways : D
that's because i like classical music, and that's probably what it'll be more useful for, but as i said i don't know lol, i'm in no position to suggest anything specific.
but if what you want is to write music, don't take the production and that kind of stuff courses... you should rather focus on being extremely good in writing and let the production pros have that part.
As someone said, you dont need to go uni for music to be a professional musician. Go on a course thats suitable for your backup plan. If that plan happens to be something music related, go on a music related course.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Quote by Graveworm

Engineering or Law - that way you'll have something practical to fall back on just in case the fickle mistress that is the music business turns it's back on you
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com