my amp, a Laney GH50L

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=GH50L
did not come with a footswitch, and even if it had a footswitch, it is a single channel amp.
this means that i can only have either clean with a switchable low gain distortion
or
low gain with a switchable high gain distortion

i play metal
not old school metal
new school metal like kse and all that remains

so i need a heavy distortion that can be switched straight to clean

my options as i have come to think are to:

1.get an overdrive to put on top of the gain boost

-this would mean i would use the amp with no gain but have the gain boost maxxed so when i switch it on along with the OD pedal(prolly a maxon od 808) i could hopefully get a good metal tone.
-the downside of this route is that i would have to do a tapdance to switch from clean to heavy

2.get a good heavy distortion pedal to run through the amp's clean channel and be able to switch with one button.
-i like this option better
but
- the pedal i had in mind(guyatone mm-x)
has a tube in it and i heard that it is a bad idea to use a tube distortion with a tube amp..
i dont know if that is true but if so what is a good solid state distortion pedal for metal?

i guess my question is can anyone think of another possible solution?
or if not which route should i take?
which route would be more cost effective?
There's a footswitch for the GH50L?

You shouldn't have bought a one channel amp if you needed clean and distortion, that's what two channels are for.

Unless I'm missing something, you're going to need a distortion pedal for what you need.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i bought it because it is a $1000 dollar amp that was for sale for $300
Oh well then in that case, good buy!

But if you really want to stay true to the amp's sound, I'd suggest picking up something like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe used and then buying an A/B pedal to switch between the two for clean and distortion.

The distortion pedal will work, but it just won't be the same.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
thats a good idea just a bithc to set up

im in between a rock and a hard place with the amps tone

i like it alot but it could stand to be a bit heavier
and alot crisper
pinch harmonics dont seem to come through the same way and the low end is kind of "round" i would like it to have a sharper attack
thats why i like the idea of the ds pedal
so i found one i liked and ran it past a friend who said it was a bad idea to put a tube pedal into a tube amp
do you know if thats true?
It's not a bad idea at all as long as the pedal sounds good.

I honestly wouldn't use a distortion pedal on it unless I had to, especially when it's a GH50L which I love the tone of, if you want a heavier distortion, buy an OD, but that still leaves you with no clean channel for playing live.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i think i will still buy a distortion to try it out
and possibly use the amps natural distortion in some applications like if im in a band where i dont have to switch as much
lower the volume on your neck pickup then use the bridge for distortion and neck for clean
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣