I want to mod my electric guitar so that it will whammy both ways. It only whammys down so how can I fix that? i tried it myself by unscrewing all the screws under the strings so the (tremolo/bridge/what ever, sorry still an electric guitar n00b) and it worked for the first two or three strings. After I put all the strings on there it doesn't do that. So how do I do this?
take one of the springs out the back
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
loosen those springs in the back (or take out one) so that your bridge "floats" and is not paralell with the body anymore. That will give you the ability to "whammy" things up.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
You can float the vintage style wammy. Sometimes by just less tension on the spring claw. Other times you gotta take out a spring. May not get much in the way of tuning stability in the process. And dont expect FR dives or pullups with it. The 6 screw wammies were never really made for this purpose more of a vibrato.
tackleberry is right, if you're going for floyd rose squeals and whatnot, you're not going to get them from a vintage setup, and if you get your vintage to float, it will not stay in tune for long at all, no matter how perfectly you set it up (Ive tried this, and it was kind of a pain in the ass)
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Fender trems can't do it, you'd need a Floyd Rose (as mentioned previously), a Bigsby, or my personal favorite - a G&L dual-fulcrum.
i set my squier up to float and can go up a semitone or two. Not floyd rose standard by a long way, but it stays in tune solidly with alot of abuse. This is without any modifications to the guitar no new parts all squier affinity stuff
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, opinions are like assholes...

Quote by LP Addict
they excrete feces, playing a vital role in the digestion system?

lol
TS is looking to do this with a 6 screw vintage not the already floating 2 screw style.