I'm interested in getting an MIM Fender, either a Stratocaster or a Telecaster. I already have a few guitars, and I play a whole bunch of styles, and I know what kinds of sounds Strats and Teles are good for. That's not why I posted this thread. What I want to know, is just how good the MIM Fenders are? What exactly is the difference between the MIM, MIK, and MIA? I know the obvious like the MIK will have the lowest grade hardware etc, whereas the MIA will have the highest. The MIM being in between these two. Are there any Fender experts here who can give me real specifics, though? I'm a Gibson man, so my knowledge of the different Fender ranges is pretty much limited to what I've just written.

Squire, Fender MIM, and Fender MIA are all alder bodies, from what I can find. I'm sure the electronics go like this: MIA > MIM > MIK, but that doesn't really bother me. As long as the MIM has half decent pickups, I don't care. Do any MIM Strats come with decent tremolos? I've tried a few, and all the trems have been absolutely hopeless. Bit of vibrato and they go out of tune. What exactly is the difference between the MIM and MIA hardware? I know the MIA trems are good, because I've done divebombs and stuff on my friend Lucas' MIA Strat, and it stayed in tune. Can I just buy an MIA Strat tremolo and put it straight in? Also, I can't seem to find any MIM Strats/Teles which have 22 frets. They're all 21. I know it's only one extra fret, but still.

I guess I'm kind of leaning towards wanting the Strat more, but I'm open to Telecasters. In terms of the MIM Fenders, are the Telecasters better (in quality etc)?

Thanks in advance.
pick ups
electronics
hardware quality
frets
smooth neck

all these things are severly reduced when u buy a MIM
a MIA will survive a nuclear war and still stay in tune.
if kept in a good condition their value will increase, as for a MIM a cant even give them away second hand.
over all MIA's are gennerally better quality.

personaly, if i had the money for a MIM, i would save it and put it towards a true fender.
I'm not really interested in a true Fender. I just want a relatively cheap Stratocaster/Telecaster which is still decent, and I can knock it about and abuse it, and maybe upgrade it should I ever want to. I want to know precise differences. You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, or anything I didn't already say in the opening post.
Quote by whoisthisguy
pick ups
electronics
hardware quality
frets
smooth neck

all these things are severly reduced when u buy a MIM
a MIA will survive a nuclear war and still stay in tune.
if kept in a good condition their value will increase, as for a MIM a cant even give them away second hand.
over all MIA's are gennerally better quality.

personaly, if i had the money for a MIM, i would save it and put it towards a true fender.

lol.........................not even close. everyone who has a mim love them. go try one out it's a fine guitar for the money.
I've got a MIM Strat, and my only complaint is that the E-string won't stay in tune, and I can get that fixed when get up off my lazy ass.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
korean made fenders are higher end than mexican. much higher, they are actually very close to the usa, but nothing quite matches the usa
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

MIM Telecaster is better than the Strat, no trem to worry about and is more punchier. Maybe if you named a few bands you like or what style music you play we could ultimately give you a recommendation. And MIM Fenders aren't all that bad, once there properly set up they are a peice of heaven. Mines now been set up properly and I have no problems.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Quote by Martin Scott
MIK = Squire, right? Every Squire I've ever played has been a piece of crap.

the new mim are better guitars.
mim arnt bad at all try a classic 60's very nice guitars with good hardware...
The only problem I've ever had with my MIM tele is the electronics. Sometimes when I switch from neck to bridge, it shorts out. But that's easily fixed by re-soldering everything.
I didn't even read all of the posts... here's my take. If you get the standard $399 MIM Fender Strat and upgrade to locking tuners (and get a good set-up), you'd do well for yourself. Spend MAYBE $450 altogether. I have an '06 MIM Tele that has a thick, beautiful sound, but I also like the strats. Read on if you want to know how I got a $150 Strat that plays better than any other guitar I've ever owned or tested.

I got a '93 MIM Strat body off the internet, cheap. Tested all the electronics, everything works there. Stock pickups, not interested in swapping those out quite yet, they're pretty hot. Hand-selected a Fender Starcaster neck and threw on Graphtech String-Saver bridge saddles and a synthetic ivory nut; first time that I've done any modifications on a guitar, other than tinkering around.

I have not been more satisfied with a guitar in a long time. It stays in tune EXTREMELY well (Schaller locking tuners) and has a nice pop from the pickups, with little to no hum from the amp. I did my own set-up so here's the break-down:

'93 MIM Fender Stratocaster body - $40
'06 Fender Starcaster neck - $30
Graphtech String-Savers - $10
Ivory Nut - $10
Schaller Locking Tuners - $55
Ernie Ball Strings - $4

All in all I've spent about $150, and it was only that much because of the tuners. Combine that with some good well-spent hours of set-up and tinkering, and patience, and you can do the same thing.

Someday I'll upgrade to a Fender neck but I got a good, straight cheaper neck that plays really well and has the 70's style headstock (I think it looks cooler and balances out the look of the guitar).
I'll also make more upgrades and give 'er a new paint job sometime but that's a little more distant.
Quote by Martin Scott
Did you mean to say the new MIK guitars are better? Because what you said there doesn't make sense with the quote you made.

no i meant the new upgraded mim are better than the mik guitars.
The one korean guitar ive played (Lite Ash Telecaster) kicked the **** out of all of the mim standards ive played. Better pups, better feel, better sound better everything.
Quote by beckyjc
The one korean guitar ive played (Lite Ash Telecaster) kicked the **** out of all of the mim standards ive played. Better pups, better feel, better sound better everything.

if you like the squier guitar's more power to you. but thats like sayin a epi is better than a gibson.
Personally, I find nothing wrong with MIM Strats but you really need to play it first if you can to make sure. They are not crap. They are a decent guitar at a great price. If you go HSS I will admit the humbucker is not the greatest but the single coils seem to sound great.

Also, i do not have any tuning problems with mine.

Here is a helpful site that will give you more specifics on MIM vs MIA. I'm not as familiar with the MIKs or MIJs, but here the older MIJs are very close to MIA. The MIMs got really good imo around 2004. The new 'Upgraded' ones are even better.

http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/index.php?page_id=30007
The lite ash is a fender doll.

But on another note just because it has fender/gibby on the headstock doesnt mean its superb your paying for the name.. Par from electronics and slightly worse wood quality, Squier affinities are pretty much up to the same standard as Fender MIM Standards. Superb guitars for the money. Id of happily walked out of a shop with a Squier affinity if it came down to that and a MIM fender. Pop in some new pickups and electronics, itll wipe the floor with it for half the price.
i'd look into blades (if you're after a more modern strat/tele), maybe a vintage advance. If you can put up with the 21 frets, then a used made in japan tokai would be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?