Heey guys,

I have a question: I am going to buy a new amp in a month, maybe two. So I went to a couple of musicstores and tried amps. And there I found the orange amp. But it is only 180 euro's and 30 watts I guess.

I have tried a lot of other amps and I guess I will have a price range of 200-350. I haven't find another orange amp in that price range.

I play metal, and have in a prog/psychedelic rock band played with the small Ibanez bsa10 (from the starter kit) during the practise and came trough very well. But here on the forums you say you need 100 watts for gigs.

So do I need to find another amp or is the orange good enough for small gigs with a PA?

thank you for your time, Davey
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
The orange is the practise amp right? 30W SS is really practise/small jam with a guitarist.

For gigs with a good PA and good foldback, you wont even need an amp! But if you were to have a gig with either of these missing you really do need 100W+ to hear yourself.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Ebay is the way for high wattage, cheap amps. Dont bother else where unless you've got lots of cash, ebay is the only answer
Quote by Anthony1991
Ebay is the way for high wattage, cheap amps. Dont bother else where unless you've got lots of cash, ebay is the only answer

good idea
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Jonnomainman

For gigs with a good PA and good foldback, you wont even need an amp! But if you were to have a gig with either of these missing you really do need 100W+ to hear yourself.

just forget what he said....

a guitar plugged to a PA (even through a multi fx) souds ****e.

as for wattage, in most situations 30W tube will get you heard pretty well, for bigger venues get a 50W
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Ferrarone

as for wattage, in most situations 30W tube will get you heard pretty well, for bigger venues get a 50W

So you think I should do it?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11

I disagree, i'd rarther have high wattage regardless of where i am.

Ebay it my friend, i had £140 to spend, and on ebay i got a mint condition marshal 250, you dont find those in stores my friend :p and if you google that amp, you'll discover i struck ****ing gold bargin wise :p
was the orange you were playing a tube amp?
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Quote by Neo Evil11

that amp you mentioned was an SS amp. it won't be as loud as a 30W tube amp.
I would get something with more power(about 50W)
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Actually Ts, ignore the posts from the guitarists.

I would say 100 watts would be really pushing it for gigs, it's recomended to have 150+ just to be heard over a drummer, so a good target area would be the 250+ wattage mark. But Jonnomainman made a good point, with places that have a PA you won't need so much wattage.

EDIT: I think these posters should be warned, it's basically spam.
Just looked at ebay, didn;t find much from around my area
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Ferrarone

Hey there, welcome to the bass forum, where 30 watt tube amps are virtually non-existent and 100-400 watt solid states are the norm.

In reality, 30 watts of power isn't going to get you anywhere in the bass world.
Quote by Froggy McHop
Actually Ts, ignore the posts from the guitarists.

I would say 100 watts would be really pushing it for gigs, it's recomended to have 150+ just to be heard over a drummer, so a good target area would be the 250+ wattage mark. But Jonnomainman made a good point, with places that have a PA you won't need so much wattage.

actually during practise I used a 20 watt amp and I was heard. So wth are you talking about 150+?

Don't get it, seriously
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Just looked at ebay, didn;t find much from around my area

Go after brand names, search the amps you like on google, the paste them into ebay, even if they appear ultra expensive on google. I agree, 30W wont get you anywhere, if you wana be heard its gota be 100 if not over
Quote by Ferrarone

GTFO the bass forum. Read the forum before you start jumping down people's throats.

And bass into a DI into a PA is the norm at gigs.

Quote by Neo Evil11
actually during practise I used a 20 watt amp and I was heard. So wth are you talking about 150+?

Don't get it, seriously

With my current band ive done over a dozen gigs w/ my 300w ashdown across a variety of venues, some with full PAs, some without.

If you don't want to listen to someone who's been there and done that, fine.

If you come to play a gig at theres nothing for you and you have your 30W, you arnt going to hear yourself, your band mates arnt going to hear you, let alone the whole audience.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Last edited by Jonnomainman at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by Neo Evil11

Don't get it, seriously

Lol in practice, well duh, you're stood next to the damn thing, people at the back wont hear jack. Practice is nothing compared to gig, there's no crowd noise, barely any background noise
Quote by Neo Evil11

Don't get it, seriously

You may have been heard but did you have good tone? Either that or your drummer is a girl.
You can hear it fine. But the people on the other side of the room/venue/place can't. you need more wattage to project your sound past your own band.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
hmm that makes sense, but should I go with amps from which I like the tone less but which have more power or the one from which I love the tone?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I would sacrifice tone before wattage. There are always ways to mask tone, but never volume. I mean, be reasonable, but if it's the difference between 100 watts and 250 I would go with the 250, even if you like the tone less.
i have to apologize, didn´t notice it was a bass forum
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I would sacrifice tone before wattage. There are always ways to mask tone, but never volume. I mean, be reasonable, but if it's the difference between 100 watts and 250 I would go with the 250, even if you like the tone less.

I reckon tone is more important, u could always line out ur amp into the pa if its not loud enough. but u stiill need at least 100watts to play a gig.
Another problem has occured: I didn;t get a job
So if I want an amp in the next couple of months it will be the orange.

What do you guys say: save or buy the orange?

Btw. gigging is far away. Just need it at bandpractise and homepractise.
And my current amp sucks
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I'd save up. The Orange will be hard pressed to make it through a band practise even.

I did it with an Ibanez bsa10 (from the starterkit)...

But what amps would you guys suggest then?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ