I recently inherited a guitar when my father upgraded, and have started playing around with it. I've enjoyed it so far in my quite limited time, but want to make certain I don't set myself up to be more frustrated in the learning process than I need to be.

The problem I potentially face is the last third of my pinki on my left hand is missing. From looking over things, I know there are a ton of ways to play, but it seems like some of the chords and especially scales seem to need the fourth finger regardless of how it's played. My question is this: what is the best method to learn to play in my case? Would I be better off getting a left handed guitar? (I am right handed). Should I stick to just chords? Would I be better off with bass? What parts should I expect to be difficult as I learn considering the missing digit? Is this really just not an issue at all, and I'm worried for nothing?

Thanks in advance.
Slide ur ring finger to the position of the little finger insetad?
(MIGHT work, just threw something in there:P )
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
couldn't you get like some kind of thing to put on the end of your pinky?
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Tony Iommi is missing all of his fingertips on his left hand, he has artificial fingertips that he made himself
Rockin' shit
i'd just start playing lefty because your just starting out on guitar so you can get used to it.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
for a very VERY long time when i began playing I always was complaining that I suck at guitar and would never get better because I had small hands compared to a lot of other people. I believe that was me just being a bitch and trying to validate why I sucked (lack of experience/practice)

humans adapt to many things, a lot of para-olympians learn to adapt to their bodies and can essentially run 100metres on fake legs. I'm sure you will be able to learn to adapt to play the guitar minus a centimeter or two on a finger.

I believe tommy from black sabbath lost part of his finger/s in an accident, but figured out a way to play... so theres some inspiration to ya. anyone can play anything, just learn to adapt.

p.s
you can learn to play 7th chords, you can play them with all fingers bar the pinky
Quote by jimmyhotpants
Tony Iommi is missing all of his fingertips on his left hand, he has artificial fingertips that he made himself

the black sabath guy?
sorry for my ignorance
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
the black sabath guy?
sorry for my ignorance

correct, and its SABBATH! :P
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
yeah Black Sabbath guitarist, apparently he made metal covers or something for his fingers and he reckons it improved his sound
Rockin' shit
I'm missing a chunk of my middle finger (tip-end) on my left hand. It has been that way for almost 30 years, but the way it is mangled and how I can't trim the nail all the way down there is no way I could manage to play right handed. So I'm playing left-handed, which only sucks when it comes to finding guitars to try out and play.

If you can play on it, or can condition it to be used I think you would be better off playing right-handed.
The main problem with getting a small 'tip' for it, or what not, is that it was removed right at the knuckle - which makes bending it to avoid other strings the main problem with it, as I don't have that last knuckle to arch the finger with. I imagine for what I'll do on a guitar that I'll be just fine - but if I get into it, it'd suck to find out I need to start over with the left hand because I can't get that bend in the finger on the pinki.
try wat Tommy Iommi did, it coud probaly help you alot, I assum it would'nt be very easy to learn to play left handed, I tried once on my friends guitar, it was way hard.