Have got a decent sum of money, a little over $1,500, that instead of getting a used Gibson Les Paul as planned would like to get some luthier tools. I feel it will be more rewarding building my own instruments, and hopefully will some day be able to build a higher quality instrument than availably mass produced from Gibson.

To clarify with the luthiers of UG I'm not getting into it to try and make money off building guitars. I'm looking to get into luthiering as a hobby. I enjoy working with my hands and art has always been a big hobby of mine. So I don't need to be told how tough of an industry it is because I have read plenty of these threads with kids who wanna build guitars for extra cash.

Onto my last paragraph, bare with me. I know a good collection of luthier tools in the long run ends up being thousands of dollars so with my $1,500 I'm looking for a list of must have's and what, if any, extra features I should look for in these tools. If it helps any, my step father and my laddies brother are both into wood working and have most of the bigger tools such as drill presses, jig and table saws, and sanders.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Last edited by pinksalmon at Jul 7, 2008,
Band saw, Planer, router (as well as bits), rasp, very nice ruler, very nice square, lots of sand paper, table saw, radius sanding blocks, fret file, 3 shot clamps, 3 very long clamps That's all I can think of right now!

Miter saws are nice (almost necessary), but not needed.
^ agreed.

Lots of C clamps, 18 or 24" long squeeze clamps (3 or 4), fret saw, miter box, dremel tool, router base (stewmac), nut making files, fret hammer, fret rocker, soldering iron, helping hand, dust masks and I agee with ESP... a F*K load of sand paper

I started as a hobby and more and more would like to get into selling to at least make back some money i invested.

spin your own pickups, too. It's good therapy and a great learning experience
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by pinksalmon
Have got a decent sum of money, a little over $1,500, that instead of getting a used Gibson Les Paul as planned would like to get some luthier tools. I feel it will be more rewarding building my own instruments, and hopefully will some day be able to build a higher quality instrument than availably mass produced from Gibson.

Thats how I started, had about £900 for a really nice 2nd hand 1980 Les Paul in faded tobacco sunburst. When I finally got all the money together the guy I knew who'd been holding this guitar for me for like 4 years had sold it to someone 2 days before.

I was heartbroken. It was the best guitar I have ever or will ever play. There was something special about it. I was so gutted I vowed never to buy another production guitar ever again and make my own. To this day I've not bought another guitar. I just psend a silly ammount of money on Stewmac orders, tools, hardware, pickups and wood! lol

I'd say you def need a good quality bandsaw, pillar drill, router and orbital sander.

For everything else just go to www.stewmac.com and have a good look on there. You'll get a good idea of what you need (and lots of things you dont!) after a good hour or so looking.

Clamps, chisels, files, rasps, drum sanders for the pillar drill, a dremel with a stew mac router base. A GOOD QUALITY set of wood drill bits and an extremely important thing-

A PRECISION STRAIGHT EDGE.

Theres loads more things too but I cant remember.
as i always say, it can be done with rasps a hell of alot of clamps, a few hand saws , a sander , a plane and a router.
i mean thats how i do it check out my 7 string build, its as good , if not better than a few ive seen where they do use proper tools for the job, im pretty proud of myself for it to be honest, having a bandsaw and a pilar drill would be really nice and would save alot of time, and i hope to get them one day, just saying it can be done with less.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
you could do it all with a hack saw blade, hand saw, rasp, file, sand paper and chisels... but you'd have forarms like popeye and it would take you a year to carve it all out

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
you could do it all with a hack saw blade, hand saw, rasp, file, sand paper and chisels... but you'd have forarms like popeye and it would take you a year to carve it all out

I'm definitely cheap enough to try it that way, not ambitious enough though.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
i'm ambitious enough to build one, cheap enough to make some of my own tools, lazy enough to buy all the stuff to make it easy. I have a LOT of stuff lol.

... I think that everyone here is a bit cheap. OTherwise they wouldn't be making guitars since making a guitar worth $2000 can cost about $650.
a high dollar jigsaw will get you just as far as a band saw will if you are good with them. just get nut-slotting files, net seating files, fret files, radius blocks AND BEAMS. 3 corner file helps alot on fretwork. a drill press is necessary, tons of c-clamps and big bessy clamps, squeeze clamps will get you nowhere. Veritos plane, every woodworker should have one.
^ i've had some good luck with squeeze clamps but i also have some long screw down clamps as well.

^ i use them as secondary clamps just for a little additional. Like I said I have long adjustable screw clamps too... i think they're bessey brand... i bought them from lowes...

my squeeze clamps have done me very well for a lot of things... mainly to clamp my pickup winder to my desk

Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Jul 7, 2008,
yeah, i use them for stuff like that, instead of pinning my fingerboards to my neck, i just put it where i want it and quick clamp it, then throw a C-clamp on, then you cant move that thing if you wanted too. do you slot your own fingerboards dude? do you have AIM?
Quote by LP Addict
a high dollar jigsaw will get you just as far as a band saw will if you are good with them.

thankyou, you understand, most people band saw then neaten up with a router and template anyways and then tell me cutting a body with a jigsaw and neatening it up with a template and router is wrong, its worked fine for me with everything ive done so far.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
yea i slot my own... i have a gents saw and the stew mac miter box... aim = nuthinbuttrubl89

adm... i clean my body up with a spindle sander

Quote by LP Addict
a high dollar jigsaw will get you just as far as a band saw will if you are good with them.

What do you think makes a good jigsaw? As in, what features should you look out for, or whatever?

And how much money should be spent trying to get a decent one?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.