i want to learn some jazz improvising so what are some good scales to use?
Ultra Win
Quote by GnR_ROK

“A baby’s on the way.”

I could kick you in the stomach
And catch you unawares
I could swear to God you accidentally
Fell that flight of stairs
There are no jazz scales, just scales. I would recommend listening to some jazz guitarists to become more familiar with the style. In my opinion, almost anything by John Scofield will be a good intro as he plays so much groove oriented stuff which has appeal outside of jazz purists. Though my favorite straight up jazz guitar album is Question and Answer by Pat Methany; just burning.
Quote by nirvanafan666
Jazz is a very difficult style of music that requires alot of mental processing and thinking. Many people would agree with me when I say jazz is blues played by a genious.

Even improvising (regardless of the genre) is more than just picking a scale and playing random notes. You got to have a unique phrasing, a unique note choice (which doesnt mean what scale your using, it means how your using the notes), a unique stlyle and a unique feel.

Even music itself requires some intellect.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Good God.

Jazz is one of the most theoretically complex genres in Western music. There are no jazz scales, and jazz music tends not to be scalar anyway. If you want to play jazz, you either need to find a teacher, or enroll in a music program.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by nirvanafan666

what kind of jazz do you listen to. Name some artists that you listen to regularly. Any favorite tunes?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by Guitargod12345
There are the Bebop Dorian scales, etc.
And use learn to use some 13, b9, 11, maj7 arpegios
Oh sh-

Once again, scales dont make a genre.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by nirvanafan666

You need only start with the major scale.
Get a ii7 - V7 - Imaj7 backing track and practice playing over it.

That's about the simplest answer you could get here.

At minimum you should get yourself a jazz theory book and start reading. It sounds
like you have some misconceptions you need cleared up.
That's such a hard, ambiguous and broad question it's impossible to answer in one paragraph, let alone one line.

I can give you four long term keys is you want to PLAY jazz. I can't PLAY jazz yet, but ever since a fellow (he's professional though)guitarist told me this I've been making leaps and bounds.

Study. Listen. Transcribe. Jam.

I'm working on 1 and 2 constantly, 3 is my pending homework and the combination of 1 2 and 3 will give me confidence to try 4.
Quote by confusius
Study. Listen. Transcribe. Jam
+1

Actually thinking about it now, there are some scales/modes used in jazz, I was wrong. But they're usually used by playing the changes, like you might play one mode/scale over one chord and another completely different mode/scale over a different chord. But thats increadibly difficult to do, and requires a lot of study to comprehend.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Also, whoever said to learn your major scales, they've got it.

If you look at the scales link in my sig, and learn all your major scales that way, you'll be able to just do stuff on your own without thinking about scales as much (somewhat). Granted while I still practice scales (more advanced ones), all of my playing is based off the major scale, and the mixolydian scale. If you don't know those most basic of scales, everything else will be pretty much worthless and you'll just sound like some punk that skipped the basics and therefore really can't play the heavy stuff.

It's like building a wall man. Have a good, wonderful, excellent foundation, and you can build almost anything on top of it.
I think jazz is the highest of all improvisational styles. You have to know your 9th 11th 13th chords well (among others), and have a good understanding of modes and harmony, not to mention the major scale. If you know all that, then go ahead, and even if you don't, still try. Make sure you get a few lessons with a qualified jazz instructor though.
People need to learn that just because you play a certain scale, you do not sound like that genre/band.
Quote by demonofthenight
Jazz is a very difficult style of music that requires alot of mental processing and thinking. Many people would agree with me when I say jazz is blues played by a genious.

Nah, sorry. Maybe by "a genius" though [/spelling nazi attack]

Quote by edg
You need only start with the major scale.
Get a ii7 - V7 - Imaj7 backing track and practice playing over it.

That's about the simplest answer you could get here.

At minimum you should get yourself a jazz theory book and start reading. It sounds
like you have some misconceptions you need cleared up.

+1 True dat.

I'm still very new to jazz but i do know that's probably the best advice you could get.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by nirvanafan666

It's not necessarily all about scales (which are very important - like the major scale), but being able to recognise a chord, and then substitute it with another chord.

Learn about Chord Families. Check this out. It's post #10.

I hope it helps.

I was told that you never really 'finish' studying jazz and that it's a lifetime pursuit.