Page 1 of 2
Here's the scoop GG&A, I have a really nice little tube practice amp that sounds really nice and can crank out some respectable volume. However, as soon as a drummer is added into the mix, my nice little amp is no longer heard by anyone. I am willing to spend anywhere from 500-1500 dollars on a new amp, and I don't know if I should get a Head + Cab or just a really nice 2 X 12 that has some good juice too it. Tone is clearly my first priority, and I know you guys normally ask what kind of music I would be playing.

Well I play mostly in the prog/heavy metal genres, but I do like to play the blues with my other group of guys that I jam with as well, so I am not an exclusive metal head. If you need more info as to what I am looking for, just ask and I will give it to you.

Also, the thread title is there to attract you.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
marshall half stack
Fender Stratocaster Mexican
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Peavy 112 Valve King 50 Watt Tube Amp

Boss Giga Delay DD20
Boss Overdrive DS20
Boss Compression Sustainer CS-3
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Boss Chorus CS-1
Boss Pedal Board BCB-60
nice title
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
this is a shining example of why you shouldn't make stupid thread titles:

people comment on the title of the thread, rather than the actual message.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
A used JSX combo seems to fit the bill, though if you're looking for a more accessible blues tone a used Splawn head + cab would also work great.

Are you looking for a British or American voicing?
Quote by Blompcube
this is a shining example of why you shouldn't make stupid thread titles:

people comment on the title of the thread, rather than the actual message.

Duly noted.

Quote by jimmyhotpantsthefaggot
racist

How?

OK, thanks all of the two people who are actually helpful around here and actually helped me out here. I will see if I can try out either of the two choices next time I drive into town. As far as a Marshall half stack, are there any specific models, or should I go strait for the MG?
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Mesa Dual Rectifier head
Mesa 4x12.

Easily obtainable for $1500.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
either go for the dual rectifier or lonestar. They blow pretty much every Marshall out of the water.
Quote by lmihay
either go for the dual rectifier or lonestar. They blow pretty much every Marshall out of the water.

I hear never ending praise for the dual recto, I will have to track one down.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
From what I've heard the Mesa won't do any blues. Just all out distortion or clean.

EDIT: If you want a Marshall I'd suggest a JCM900.
Last edited by KingJustinian25 at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by KingJustinian25
From what I've heard the Mesa won't do any blues. Just all out distortion or clean.

That's what an OD pedal is for.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
If you want a tight sounding distortion, I wouldn't be looking at a Dual Recto.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd say JSX or used Roadster. maybe a JCM800...

ah, I don't know
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
What would be an amp that gives tight, Lamb of God type distortion?
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Quote by Vinnie5
What would be an amp that gives tight, Lamb of God type distortion?

Mesa Mark IV
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Mesa Mark IV

Is that the amp they use? and how much $$ are they?
Open Wide, The Sky

Quote by bjoern_swe
Mesa Mark IV

+1

Quote by Vinnie5

It's the exact amp they use. They can be had for around $1,500 I believe. Might spike since they are now out of production.
Quote by Vinnie5

I know Mark Morton uses them, dunno about Adler.

You can probably pick one up used for just over $1000.
Kool ive been wondering about that thanks for the help guys!!
Open Wide, The Sky

The Mark IV can be picked up in the $1000-1400 range.

Great amp, though I just traded mine for a 5150 III.

I paid $1200 for mine with brand new tubes and rackmounted in a 6 space rack case.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Webster's Dictionary:

Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\
Function: noun
Date: 1933

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

All he said was black people. Webster's dictionary says that's not racist. So get the stick out of your ass, and try to help the guy.

Have you looked into Orange amps? I've heard great things about the Rockerverb by Orange, but haven't been able to test it out myself.
Quote by pensiveintensiv
Webster's Dictionary:

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

All he said was black people. Webster's dictionary says that's not racist. So get the stick out of your ass, and try to help the guy.

Have you looked into Orange amps? I've heard great things about the Rockerverb by Orange, but haven't been able to test it out myself.

That's more of a lower- gain rock amp that CAN do metal, rather than the other way around which is what he needs.

If he could push his budget up to get a Thunderverb, though....
Quote by pensiveintensiv
Webster's Dictionary:

+1
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
White people.

Oh shit guys I'm a racist.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
That's more of a lower- gain rock amp that CAN do metal, rather than the other way around which is what he needs.

If he could push his budget up to get a Thunderverb, though....

What? My friend in the band Charybdis recorded their last EP with a Rockerverb 100 and 50 in the studio, they're a Death Metal band The Rocker 30 is lower gain, but their higher wattage versions have more gain and can do metal. I actually wouldn't mind picking one up sometime, they sound awesome.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
What? My friend in the band Charybdis recorded their last EP with a Rockerverb 100 and 50 in the studio, they're a Death Metal band The Rocker 30 is lower gain, but their higher wattage versions have more gain and can do metal. I actually wouldn't mind picking one up sometime, they sound awesome.

Huh.. I tried a Rockerverb 50 in a shop and preferred its lower- gain tone to its metal tone by far. Maybe it's just me.
Quote by KingJustinian25

Very wrong.

Clean channel + tubescreamer = bliss

Also, if he gets a three channel the orange channel will get there as well.

Quote by MatrixClaw

Very right.

Norma Jean's guitar player Scott uses Orange heads frequently live and in studio all the time.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by KingJustinian25

My Lonestar does blues very well as that is what I play. I wouldn't suggest the rectifier for blues. The lonestar on the other hand is a very versitile amp with great clean and dirty tones.
Quote by mike.h
White people.

Oh shit guys I'm a racist.

no, according to the way political correctness works, its impossible to make a racist statement against white people.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
maybe a mesa express? genz benz el diablo?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Blompcube
no, according to the way political correctness works, its impossible to make a racist statement against white people.

Oh boy....

This is why this thread should've been closed hours ago.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by NORAMACTIVE
YEah! Yeah ! get what they got YEAH!

*reported*
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Page 1 of 2