Page 1 of 2
Hey guys.
I have been wanting to start a hardcore or "metal" band,
and I just got (in my opinion), an awesome guitar.
It's an Ibanez RG Edge III.
I have a Digitech Multieffects pedal, but i feel i need a seperate distortion pedal.
Any ideas which pedal would be the best for a heavy metal/hardcore sound?
I just see a lot of them out there and i get confused.
Thanks!
Mind you link us with the model?I've never heard of an Ibanez RG Edge III.

What amp are you using?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
digitech death metal pedal take it from someone who is actually in a hardcore band rather than some 15 year old whos going to jump in having never used the pedal saying "OMGZ THAT PEDALZ SUCK" i find it great it does what i need it to untill i can upgrade to a beautiful 6505
Quote by metlhed23
boss metalzone mt-2 is great for metal

no it isn't. its thin, tinny, and sounds like a swarm of angry AND horny bees.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube

if you tweak on the mt-2 you can get some killer tones out of it. the key is not to just turn the distotion all the way to 10. that will make it sound very compressed and thin. but with the level around 1 o'clock the distortion about the same and really tweak on the eq. there are some great tones in there.
I have a Digitech RP350.
I'm satisfied with it,
I've just been told by other people with it that it's wise to have another distortion pedal cause the RP350 doesn't have the greatest Distortion.
The BOSS MT-2 and Digitech dist. pedals IMO are all horrible. It really depends on what type of distortion you're looking for. If you're looking for lots of gain, than maybe they would fit you. But if you're looking for actual GOOD sounding distortion, i'd stay away from them. To me, they sound WAY too thin and WAY too digital. I mean the word digital is IN digitech's name, so that's a dead give away for me. It would help if we knew how much cash you're looking to burn on a good pedal, because if you're looking to spend a little more upwards towards $150+, than you can get hooked up with a damn good pedal for that much. What I advise you doing is going to the store and trying out the Metal Zone and some Digitech pedals, and if you are satisfied with the way they sound, that should be good enough. But I hope you're looking for something better.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

BOSS MT-2 Ftw.

It does actually rape, takes a while to fiddle about with the knobs for a bit to get a good sound, but there is a variety ;]
the boss mt-2 has been the sound of metal for a long time. if you can't get a good sound outta it.........you got some other issues.
Quote by stinger12345
The BOSS MT-2 and Digitech dist. pedals IMO are all horrible. It really depends on what type of distortion you're looking for. If you're looking for lots of gain, than maybe they would fit you. But if you're looking for actual GOOD sounding distortion, i'd stay away from them. To me, they sound WAY too thin and WAY too digital. I mean the word digital is IN digitech's name, so that's a dead give away for me. It would help if we knew how much cash you're looking to burn on a good pedal, because if you're looking to spend a little more upwards towards $150+, than you can get hooked up with a damn good pedal for that much. What I advise you doing is going to the store and trying out the Metal Zone and some Digitech pedals, and if you are satisfied with the way they sound, that should be good enough. But I hope you're looking for something better.

+1. Also, what amp?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Blompcube

I'm sick of hearing guys like you going all around these forums complaining about that pedal. It's great if you use it in the way it's intended to be used! Run it through the clean channel and the thing will not hiss. Most distortion pedals are not meant to be played through the gain channel anyways.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Quote by Riffomatic_5000
I'm sick of hearing guys like you going all around these forums complaining about that pedal. It's great if you use it in the way it's intended to be used! Run it through the clean channel and the thing will not hiss. Most distortion pedals are not meant to be played through the gain channel anyways.

But people do that, and it still sounds like poo.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Chasing Shadows
BOSS MT-2 Ftw.

It does actually rape, takes a while to fiddle about with the knobs for a bit to get a good sound, but there is a variety ;]

The only thing that pedal rapes is your ears.

Quote by mmjohn
the boss mt-2 has been the sound of metal for a long time. if you can't get a good sound outta it.........you got some other issues.

No, it's never been the sound of anything - you'll struggle to find a pro in the world who'd let that piece of sh1te anywhere near their rig.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The only thing that pedal rapes is your ears.

No, it's never been the sound of anything - you'll struggle to find a pro in the world who'd let that piece of sh1te anywhere near their rig.

i'm talkin about THE TONE. no most pro's have heavily moded amps and do not need distortion pedal.........f-ck you should know that. and again if you can't get good tone outta a mt-2........quit playin guitar your a f'n moron.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by WtrPlyr
The trem on your guitar sucks and do not get a metal zone, buy a blues driver instead.

he want's heavy distortion and you recommend a blues drive and you tell him his guitar sucks.............moron
Quote by mmjohn
i'm talkin about THE TONE. no pro's have heavily moded amps and do not need distortion pedal.........f-ck you should know that. and again if you can't get good tone outta a mt-2........quit playin guitar your a f'n moron.

wtf are you on about you spastic mentalist?

the MT2 is incapable of any sound that even approaches a "tone", it's hissy, thin, fizzy and nasal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by mmjohn
and again if you can't get good tone outta a mt-2........quit playin guitar your a f'n moron.

Are you sure you want to make that statement???
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

Quote by steven seagull
wtf are you on about you spastic mentalist?

the MT2 is incapable of any sound that even approaches a "tone", it's hissy, thin, fizzy and nasal.

bull****..................your a retard...............who thinks he knows all your not even close.
Quote by mmjohn
bull****..................your a retard...............who thinks he knows all your not even close.

is there a problem with your keyboard? It looks like a couple of your keys are sticking a bit there...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by mmjohn
nope not at ALL.

Left hand side of the keyboard, next to the "A"....Caps Lock
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by mmjohn
YES......found somthing your right about.

Good, you found it.

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Lol seagull can't you just ban the kid?
And I believe At The Gates used the MT-2 to record 'Slaughter of the Soul' or something like that. It's not the most desirable tone though .
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
Lol seagull can't you just ban the kid?
And I believe At The Gates used the MT-2 to record 'Slaughter of the Soul' or something like that. It's not the most desirable tone though .

Technically I could, but this is pretty much a forum-specific issue so it's not really my place to...I wouldn't want to be accused of being power-crazed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by mmjohn

First of all, its "you're" don't call someone a retard while making yourself looking like one at the same time. Second, the MT-2 is a pile, and i regret wanting one years past. Third, the seagull will poop on you and your MT-2 just to show you that, well, you're the retard here.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I personally run a Metal Muff through my clean channel and am pretty happy with it... try it out maybe you'll like it too.
Support new music, listen to my Prog Metal Band:
Open Wide, The Sky

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR White

Peavey 6505+ /w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Quote by tubadude
First of all, its "you're" don't call someone a retard while making yourself looking like one at the same time. Second, the MT-2 is a pile, and i regret wanting one years past. Third, the seagull will poop on you and your MT-2 just to show you that, well, you're the retard here.

Just find me a tree and I'm there
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

because of some asshole my question just passed unseen...i asked if It's still bad to use at home at very very low volume?to distort your sound? i mean the mt-2? or i can you a metal muff too? what you say?
Quote by blind.quardian
because of some asshole my question just passed unseen...i asked if It's still bad to use at home at very very low volume?to distort your sound? i mean the mt-2? or i can you a metal muff too? what you say?

Both the MT-2 and the Metal Muff can distort your sound at low volumes. What's your actual question?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by blind.quardian

If people are like me, you're question was not passed. But you seriously need to start using better grammar, just because I can't even understand what you're asking. Are you asking whether or not the MT-2 brutalizes your tone at small levels as well as louder levels or something?

If you are, then i'd say it still does, but not as bad. Just because at lower volumes, the ear-piercing highs of the MT-2 aren't as loud.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

Quote by blind.quardian

I've said this before and i will say it again. Forget about getting a pedal and keep saving for a high gain amp. It will pay off in the long run, and it'll sound a hell lot better.
Page 1 of 2