Page 1 of 5
I've just finished my college year and according to my tutor I'm due an EMA bonus for a good report. So does anyone know when the bonus actually gets processed?

cheers.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
It should go in this Friday, I emailed my form tutor about it

No worries ^__^
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

No worries ^__^

Score! cheers!

I'm gonna have to try very very hard not to spend all my money of alcohol this year
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Actually, you're a first year yes? It's possible that your's was supposed to be in last week, at least that's what some government site showed me, HOWEVER I know that mine comes in on Friday so hopefully yours does too!

I've technically already spent £40 of it >__<
I borrowed from my Mum. Oops.
Quote by SteveHouse
EMA's suck, all the people who's parents wasted their time and got rubbish jobs are gonna be getting double what i'm gonna be getting per month from my parents. Just because my parents have decent jobs doesn't mean i get all the money! people on the doll should get less than those who arent even if it's 'to support them through college' i wonder how many people on EMA's actually spend the money usefully...
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
I HAVE to wear my kilt every Thursday...

I'm not sure why, though.

Me too!
We should start a support group.
I got mine a couple of weeks ago but...scotland...meh
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
So is this Friday a national date for the bonus for England? Or is it processed at different times?

Plus, anyone who left college after year 2 still getting the weekly payment? Even though I haven't attended since the 23rd I'm still getting my weekly
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by bass dude nick
EMA's suck, all the people who's parents wasted their time and got rubbish jobs are gonna be getting double what i'm gonna be getting per month from my parents. Just because my parents have decent jobs doesn't mean i get all the money! people on the doll should get less than those who arent even if it's 'to support them through college' i wonder how many people on EMA's actually spend the money usefully...

**** you, Don't stereotype.

Oh and we get a bonus? If so **** yes. Does everyone qualify for one?
Quote by Hammerzeit

Oh and we get a bonus? If so **** yes. Does everyone qualify for one?

Normally you have to have good attendance and grades to get it.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

No worries ^__^

Oh F**K yes I cannay wait for the sweet moolah!

I do feel pretty bad for getting it though (as much as I really do appreciate the income and have little time to work in a real job) as just thinking about the £100 bonus multiplied by the thousands of kids that get it across the country... Eugh, I just know the money could go for something so much better! (then again, i thought the exact thing when i noticed the council replacing a lot of the lamp posts around town...)
Oh and also I just generally hate sponging and knowing I am essentially in the debt of society...

Ahh but dang I get the best of everything! My parents are divorced and my Ma's is my official address (a really pretty small 2 bedroom house) so that's the income that dictates whether i get EMA, but i live most of the time at my Pa's who lives just around the corner in a pretty f**k off massive house with 3 cars! Take THAT tax-payers!
Quote by bass dude nick

I see, so the children should be punished for the bad choices of their parents?
I hate this EMA stuff, why should someone get £30/week just because their parents earn less than mine? Do they assume my parents are just going to give me £30/week because they earn a bit more each month? Seems really unfair to me, it should be a flat rate or nothing.
If they want to help lower income families with transport costs and books etc, it should go to the parents as benefits, and they can buy on your behalf.
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Quote by bass dude nick

I have only known two people out of about 50 to do so. Most people use it to buy shoes or whatever the **** else. It is impossible to speak to teachers after class as half of the class just shout at the teacher inbetween "Sign my EMA!" etc. I had this problem for 3 years and I'm convinced it handicapped me when it came to doing well in my 2nd year.

It's a gash system, and NO offense to ANYONE here, but I think EMA should be payed directly into parents/guardians bank accounts, OR, be special vouchers for certain items such as food, or electricity/general upkeep bills, and so on.

It's almost TOO simple. I don't know why they (government, whoever) don't do it, but maybe they don't mind what the kids spend the EMA on - as long as it looks good for the statistics and gets them into college and doing anything, I assume.
Quote by Neillya1
I hate this EMA stuff, why should someone get £30/week just because their parents earn less than mine? Do they assume my parents are just going to give me £30/week because they earn a bit more each month? Seems really unfair to me, it should be a flat rate or nothing.
If they want to help lower income families with transport costs and books etc, it should go to the parents as benefits, and they can buy on your behalf.

Yeah, and at 16-18yrs old you really should be able to handle your own money.

Plus, there is little guarantee that the parents would spend it wisely.
Quote by bass dude nick

My Dad got made redundant a year ago and he can't get a job so easy because he's 63.
My Mum had a back injury about 10 years ago whilst AT work and she was made redundant. Every day is agony for her.

Also, it says support them yeah, but doesn't say in what way.
I've bought new clothes when I needed them, and generally to keep me happy (difficult to do).
But I took photography which is such an expensive subject to take up.

You, sir, can suck my dick.
Quote by SteveHouse
EMA is to keep folk in schools. It's not even about spending it on school books and things (though if they do that, fair enough) it's about keeping people from poorer families in school. Which is a good thing.

EDIT: ****s sake, I've no idea why people are so selfish. And YES that's what it is. It's the same reason people hate taxes so much. (I dislike them too ).
Quote by Retro Rocker
I see, so the children should be punished for the bad choices of their parents?

well they should'nt get special treatment
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Quote by meh!
EMA is to keep folk in schools. It's not even about spending it on school books and things (though if they do that, fair enough) it's about keeping people from poorer families in school. Which is a good thing.

True and true.

But does anyone agree with me it SHOULD be handled better? As vouchers or in ways to cut down on it's spending of totally inappropriate things? Which is a real issue if you ask me. I don't usually warm to people who moan about taxes every other day, but people don't pay taxes for a laugh when their funding could be used much more appropriately.
The only things that piss me off about it are:
1. I don't get it.
2. People moan when they don't get it on time.
3. Some people I know who get it are better off than me.

A silly system really. I know people who go to college just to get EMA, because they don't want a job.
Quote by meh!

Of course it's a good thing, but do they assume that because my household income is more than £30,000/year I instantly want to stay in school longer?
I agree with whoever said about vouchers, they should have them for food/travel etc and maybe a small amount to encourage people to stay in education (e.g. £5/week), but we should ALL get the incentive, and poorer families should get the financial help with food/supplies etc. I know of a fair few people in 6th form that use their EMA for CDs, Games, a new laptop etc, why should they get that for staying on and we don't
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

Quote by Neillya1

that's my point, you just said it better
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Quote by Small Print
The only things that piss me off about it are:
1. I don't get it.
2. People moan when they don't get it on time.
3. Some people I know who get it are better off than me.

A silly system really. I know people who go to college just to get EMA, because they don't want a job.

We all know people like this, but I've never seen anyone looking hard for a solution. I have tried to present a solution 3 times now with no reply...

Even the EMA being paid directly into a parents or guardians bank account would reduce the abuse (heh) of the system.

What about vouchers, really really?

At the end of the day, anything to reduce many, many pounds being badly spent is a good thing.
Quote by Small Print
I know people who go to college just to get EMA,

Well that exactly it's intention really so... well... BOOYAH to the government really!
Quote by Jackolas
True and true.

But does anyone agree with me it SHOULD be handled better? As vouchers or in ways to cut down on it's spending of totally inappropriate things? Which is a real issue if you ask me. I don't usually warm to people who moan about taxes every other day, but people don't pay taxes for a laugh when their funding could be used much more appropriately.

How would that work? What's totally inappropriate?

As far as I can see you either support the giving of money directly students, free to spend as they wish or you do not suppor the scheme at all. It cannot be given to their parents and it would be ridiculous to restrict certain items.

It's about encouraging people who would not otherwise stay in school (the demographic with the most pressure saying taht A school is not worth it and B that they should get a job and earn money) to stay on. That doesn't work if you don't let them spend it on 'inappropriate things'

Quote by Neillya1
Of course it's a good thing, but do they assume that because my household income is more than £30,000/year I instantly want to stay in school longer?
I agree with whoever said about vouchers, they should have them for food/travel etc and maybe a small amount to encourage people to stay in education (e.g. £5/week), but we should ALL get the incentive, and poorer families should get the financial help with food/supplies etc. I know of a fair few people in 6th form that use their EMA for CDs, Games, a new laptop etc, why should they get that for staying on and we don't

Do you see the value of education? DO you see its purpose? I think you do.

This is aimed at those who don't, and may I stress this; it has worked in getting this group of people to go to school beyond that which is compulsory. (and completing it)

And if we include everyone...that's just an insane amount of money. It's targeted at a specific wage range because that's where it is most effective.

EDIT: You cannot give it to parents because it is not their money. they are not staying on in higher education, the students are. It is their money. They choose to spend it how they will, that is their right as students who have stayed on for higher education.

Also, what's to stop parents taking it as just another little bit of income for 'the household' or any other abuse?
Last edited by meh! at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by Neillya1
I agree with whoever said about vouchers, they should have them for food/travel etc and maybe a small amount to encourage people to stay in education (e.g. £5/week), but we should ALL get the incentive, and poorer families should get the financial help with food/supplies etc. I know of a fair few people in 6th form that use their EMA for CDs, Games, a new laptop etc.

I am glad you agree, because I really do think it's a good idea (hell, I suggested it!).

The only negative I can think of is it might be harder to implement than I am thinking.. Oh, and those guys that waste the EMA on complete rubbish won't be very happy when their selfish little system gets shafted.
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well that exactly it's intention really so... well... BOOYAH to the government really!

I know that, but what I mean is, they go in College with no intention of moving on after, or getting a job. Some people just keep switching courses because it's easier than getting a job.

Like other well meaning welfare, it's ridiculously exploited because it's just that easy to.
Quote by meh!
It's about encouraging people who would not otherwise stay in school (the demographic with the most pressure saying taht A school is not worth it and B that they should get a job and earn money) to stay on. That doesn't work if you don't let them spend it on 'inappropriate things'

I see your point, but basically, you are saying the government is blackmailing to get certain groups and individuals into college and ANY form of further eduction, and it doesn't matter how well they do or how much money goes down the ****ter, as long as the immediate statistics are pleasing to the eye?

Personally this is NOT the way to inspire anyone, I certainly wouldn't/am not inspired by it. The whole thing is very shallow, but maybe that's just the way it is then.
There's a bonus?! How much is it? I really hope I haven't already got mine becuase I spent all my money a few weeks ago
Quote by Jackolas
I see your point, but basically, you are saying the government is blackmailing to get certain groups and individuals into college and ANY form of further eduction, and it doesn't matter how well they do or how much money goes down the ****ter, as long as the immediate statistics are pleasing to the eye?

Personally this is NOT the way to inspire anyone, I certainly wouldn't/am not inspired by it. The whole thing is very shallow, but maybe that's just the way it is then.

No, it is awarded based upon attendance and performance, just like the bonuses.

Personally I think some institutions need to tighten up how easy it is to get it, but that's a different matter.
maybe i was a bit harsh with what i said earlier but pretty much all the people i know who are going on EMA's next year are the one's who've just spent the whole of high school messing around and not paying attention, people should have to get reccomendations or something saying that they are worth being encouraged to go to college or whether they're just gonna waste another 2 years or so of education
Quote by 20cdndollars
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Me too!
Quote by meh!

Personally I think some institutions need to tighten up how easy it is to get it, but that's a different matter.

In my school you had to be in every day of the week exactly on time. If your bus was even a few minutes late and you missed registration, then you got no EMA money for the rest of the week. If you're sick you need a doctors note. The only exception to the rule is in the case of a family funeral (friends' funerals don't count, apparently).
Quote by bass dude nick
maybe i was a bit harsh with what i said earlier but pretty much all the people i know who are going on EMA's next year are the one's who've just spent the whole of high school messing around and not paying attention, people should have to get reccomendations or something saying that they are worth being encouraged to go to college or whether they're just gonna waste another 2 years or so of education

Yes, it should be partly based on teachers recommendations or GCSE grades in my opinion.
Quote by nightraven

Quote by thewho182

Quote by kyle33093

Quote by meh!

I don't agree it's a different matter. I have seen how easy it is to doctor attendance and performance. I actually support the EMA but the way it is being run is a complete shambles and a complete waste of resources.

Someone who ADMITTED to being late to almost EVERY lesson by about 20 minutes this year, and missing plenty got 100% recorded attendence which was on the wall towards the end of the year as an achievement. We actually laughed about it, but at the time I forgot that he gets full EMA bonus and the full weekly allowance. He certainly wasn't the only one either.

I've been with people who have forged a whole weeks worth of sigs and handed it in to the (awful) administration with no quarrel what so ever.

Almost all the EMA recievers I know played up when the system got changed to the electronic method last year, for various reasons including the ones above I am sure - that and the system crashed all the time. So they resorted back to the pen and paper method.

No one can deny that this could all be done much, much better.

It's almost as bad as that time I applied for A Levels and some oaf in administration spilt lucozade all over it and sent it back to me. No appology, nothing. All I could do was have a laugh about it with my tutor.

Oh and just incase this post sounds exaggerated or isolated, I went to the biggest college/line of college in the country.
Quote by GiantRaven
Do second years get and end of year bonus?

I really really hope so...

Yes we do.
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by GiantRaven
Do second years get and end of year bonus?

I really really hope so...

I thought I made that quite clear with my post
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by Jackolas
I don't agree it's a different matter. I have seen how easy it is to doctor attendance and performance. I actually support the EMA but the way it is being run is a complete shambles and a complete waste of resources.

Someone who ADMITTED to being late to almost EVERY lesson by about 20 minutes this year, and missing plenty got 100% recorded attendence which was on the wall towards the end of the year as an achievement. We actually laughed about it, but at the time I forgot that he gets full EMA bonus and the full weekly allowance. He certainly wasn't the only one either.

I've been with people who have forged a whole weeks worth of sigs and handed it in to the (awful) administration with no quarrel what so ever.

Almost all the EMA recievers I know played up when the system got changed to the electronic method last year, for various reasons including the ones above I am sure - that and the system crashed all the time. So they resorted back to the pen and paper method.

No one can deny that this could all be done much, much better.

It's almost as bad as that time I applied for A Levels and some oaf in administration spilt lucozade all over it and sent it back to me. No appology, nothing. All I could do was have a laugh about it with my tutor.

Oh and just incase this post sounds exaggerated or isolated, I went to the biggest college/line of college in the country.

My school was exactly like xX*Zeppelin*Xx 's regarding EMA. Nothing like yours.

So were the other 3 high schools in perth. However, the college was much more lenient.

I think it is a matter of insuring that it is the people matching the criteria that get it.

I think it's possibly a duty that should be added on to other inspection duties, I'm not sure.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
I thought I made that quite clear with my post

I kind of skim read the thead

Have you been getting payments for weeks you haven't actually been at college? I swear i've finished but I still seem to be getting payments...
Page 1 of 5