Pinch Harmonic

If anybody is having pinch harmonic troubles, this is the place to ask. feel free to PM me if you hav any other questions.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Ayye,

I have a question.

What finger/thumb is best for pinching?

And.. also..
how can you determine where the pinched harmonic will occur on the string, like, in front of the pick up, behind.. etc.
Or do you just have to fiddle about with em?
Quote by Chasing Shadows
Ayye,

I have a question.

Um... the thumb? Don't really see how else you'd do it.

And.. also..
how can you determine where the pinched harmonic will occur on the string, like, in front of the pick up, behind.. etc.

Normally the strongest harmonic occurs around the neck pickup, but you can get different sounds at different places on the string.
there is secret but practice with pinch harmonics i feel
like sweeping and other techniques theres trade secrets with pinches i find its just tell someone how and over time they get it
Quote by Chasing Shadows
Ayye,

I have a question.

And.. also..

well, what i do is play the note and then tap the string, but this may not work for you. just grab the pick at the tip and let your thumb graze the string as well as your pick. as for the higher notes, really dig into them with your thumb and you should get very good results. and for the harmonic nodes, you just have to find the certain spot on your guitar, and once you find it, pinch harmonics will become a breeze. and also, every guitar is different, fyi. for the lower notes, it is easier to hit pinch harmonics w/ a very modern, high gain distortion with a lot of treble (think Dimebag) and for the higher notes, i prefer a vintage OD (think Billy Gibbons).
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Um... the thumb? Don't really see how else you'd do it.

Well a lot of people out there do pinch harmonics using their index finger or middle finger. I don't know how (I personally use my thumb) but I know it exists.
crazy talking animals
Quote by mrvile
Well a lot of people out there do pinch harmonics using their index finger or middle finger. I don't know how (I personally use my thumb) but I know it exists.

what i do is play the note and then tap the harmonic node very quickly with my middle finger and then i get a pinch harmonic.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by WSR66
what i do is play the note and then tap the harmonic node very quickly with my middle finger and then i get a pinch harmonic.

That's technically a tap harmonic... pretty different sound.
not really.... sounds almost exactly the same. and anyway, you're not the teacher. lol.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
I disagree, because I tap the string where you would "pinch" the string, not somewhere else.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
I don't have a guitar with me so i don't have the chance to try it out but, has anyone done a pinch harmonic with their picking hand and a natural harmonic with their fretting hand? How does it sound?
i don't think it would work i think you would just mute the string.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by stinger12345
Could we get some sound clips of yo pinching if you can?

i'm sorry, but no. I have no recorder. if i could i would love too. sorry.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by MRavioli
I don't have a guitar with me so i don't have the chance to try it out but, has anyone done a pinch harmonic with their picking hand and a natural harmonic with their fretting hand? How does it sound?

It depends where you pinch and where the fretting hand is. If you do a natural harmonic at the 12th fret, and pinch right at the 24th fret, it'll just sound like a natural harmonic at the 24th fret.
Quote by WSR66
not really.... sounds almost exactly the same. and anyway, you're not the teacher. lol.

They sound quite different. What Zakk Wylde uses too much of is a pinch harmonic. You "pinch" the string with your thumb. Tap harmonics are completely different.

Anyway, on the topic of misconceptions is the idea that one must use tons and tons of gain coupled with lots of treble to make pinch harmonics sound. This is not true, it helps to amplify them. A good way to practice them is to try to get them to ring out as clearly as possible with a totally clean tone, or better yet, unplugged.

As far as the execution goes, make sure you really choke up on the pick, and after you brush the string with your thumb, (think of the motion kind of like turning a key) make sure you don't leave your thumb on the string.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by MRavioli

It wouldn't be possible. Harmonics occur when the string vibrates in equal sections with small parts of the string that don't vibrate. Normally, when you pluck a string, the whole thing vibrates, and the center of this vibration is located at the 12th fret, because it's right in the middle of the string. When you hit a 5th or 7th fret harmonic, respectively, the string is completely stopped at the quarter or third of the string, which means if you hit a natural harmonic at the 5th fret, if you look closely, the string will not be moving at the 5th, 12th, and 24th fret location, which means you could touch these areas of standstill, know as "nodes" and the harmonic would continue to ring. Touching the string elsewhere would cause it to die.

So it follows that hitting a pinch harmonic, and then touching the string elsewhere would simply result in a dead note.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Usually the lower frest tend to have wider ranges of harmonic areas, I don't know why. When you get really high up, you have to be very precise and such. Also, sometimes if I'm tapping, I'll tap, then use my ring and pinky to hit the harmonic. I use my pointer to tap and I hold the pick with my middle.

Edit: I take that back. Some areas on the guitar are easier to pinch harmonic ( I guess) on, and the lower frets tend to have more of those areas. And the lower fret's harmonic areas are usually easire to hit.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Last edited by Fryer Mike at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by Fryer Mike
Usually the lower frest tend to have wider ranges of harmonic areas, I don't know why. When you get really high up, you have to be very precise and such. Also, sometimes if I'm tapping, I'll tap, then use my ring and pinky to hit the harmonic. I use my pointer to tap and I hold the pick with my middle.

Edit: I take that back. Some areas on the guitar are easier to pinch harmonic ( I guess) on, and the lower frets tend to have more of those areas. And the lower fret's harmonic areas are usually easire to hit.

What also is kind of fun is to do a legato lick using just one hand, e.g.

E|--5-h6-h8-p5-h6-h8-p6-p5-h6-h8---

using just your left hand, and then position your middle finger (I tap with my middle finger) over either the 10th, 12th, or 17th fret to get a harmonic for the fretted A on the fifth fret, and get your hands together in time, resulting in a legato phrase that incorporates rapid harmonic notes for an interesting effect.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!