Alright my question is what is a step down from a gibson SG. Like what the mexican strat is to a american strat, somthing around $400. Because ive seen alot of epiphone SGs that vary from $200 up to $500 so im just wondering what specific model i should be looking at. thanks.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Hey man, im not a whizz on the model names but if u want a SG gibson, hold out and get one, epiphone are good but nothing compares to the real thing! I have had to epiphone les pauls, and i also still have a rare 1995 gibson les paul studio, many people say they cant tell the difference, but i disagree. You have to spend money to have the quality of gibson.
I know tht really didnt answer your question very well, but i really do suggest waiting and saving till you can afford an SG Gibson, you can pick them up quite cheap nowadays anyway!

Anyway good luck finding what you want MOOSE.

Best regards!

Rich!
thanks guys, thats really good advice actually. Now im wondering if the sames true with mexican strats, it has the fender name on it but is it right to trust them just for the name?
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
thanks guys, thats really good advice actually. Now im wondering if the sames true with mexican strats, it has the fender name on it but is it right to trust them just for the name?

Never trust something based upon its name alone. If I dressed up in drag and called myself Nicole would you be into me?

I didn't think so.

Well, I hope the answer was no.

Anyways, the MIM Fenders are decent, yes. But you can only determine that from playing them, not by their name.
Mexi strats are very good! also had one, ive been thru alot of guitars to find my perfect ones! Not my style though! but still great quality!
Quote by nightraven
mexican strats are great, the main reason they're cheaper is because they are assembled in the mexican factory where work costs less. i would say mexican fenders are better than epiphone compared to their parent factory because fender's cheap version is squier. there are some high range mexican strats in the $1k area so it's not some moneymaking/beginner toy thing.

I AGREE! WELL SAID!
Quote by Cryostorm
I AGREE! WELL SAID!

Err, not really.

Quote by nightraven
mexican strats are great, the main reason they're cheaper is because they are assembled in the mexican factory where work costs less. i would say mexican fenders are better than epiphone compared to their parent factory because fender's cheap version is squier. there are some high range mexican strats in the $1k area so it's not some moneymaking/beginner toy thing.

They are great, and yes, labor is cheaper so that is one of the reasons for sure. There also is some different parts used as well.

I don't think a blanket "MIM Fender > Epiphone" statement is correct based on what you said. There are Epiphones that will easily rival the quality of an MIM Fender.

And just because something can be expensive doesn't mean it's quality or worth the money.