Page 1 of 2
Heya everyone,

I've been trying for some time to fine-tune my amp and effect pedals to a point where I'm satisfied with my sound. The reason for writing here though, is because I am yet to have archived that satisfaction...YET!

What best describes my need would be the newer sound of Simon Neil from Biffy Clyro. By coincidence (not fanboy-ness, surprisingly), we have almost the same effect pedal setup, though I lack the Boss HM Heavy Metal effect for fuzz and instead use higher gain for compensation along with a Compression Sustainer for, well, fine-tuning, though I might just drop it.

Anyways, I want to request you audiophiles out there, to take a jump to Biffy Clyro's myspace, which is www.myspace.com/biffyclyro, and take a listen at some of the songs from their album Puzzle.

If you can get just a hint about how the lead channel / clean channel setup might be (I know I know, it's studio, but then try some live videos instead from YouTube), then I'll probably be able to work out the rest.

My setup is this:

Peavey Valveking VK 100 Head & Peavey ValveKing 412 Cabinet.

The VK 100:

CLEAN channel: [0 to 10]

Volume: 5
Bass: 6
Middle: 10
Treble: 6

BRIGHT button is IN.

Now I think I will be using the LEAD channel more, so:

LEAD Channel:

Treble: 6
Middle: 10
Bass: 6
Volume: 5
Gain: 1

Reverb: 0

Presence: 0
Resonance: 1

//// Effect pedals:

Compression Sustainer:
LEVEL: 5
TONE: 7
ATTACK: 7
SUSTAIN: 0

Noise Suppressor:
THRESHOLD: 10
DECAY: 10
MODE: Reduction

Distortion DS-1 (Overdrive):
TONE: 7
DIST: 3
LEVEL: 7

Metal-Zone MT-2:
LEVEL: 7
EQUALIZER (Left): 7 (High) og 8 (Low)
EQUALIZER (Right): 4 (Middle) og 4 (Mid Frequency)
DISTORTION: 6 to 7. (Mostly 6)

Digital Delay DD-3 :
LEVEL: 10
F.B ACK: 10
D-TIME: 4
MODE: Hold

I hope some of you can help me, I will be giving the beers and peanuts later for helping me out.
youre incapable of turning the knobs till it sounds good yourself so you want us to instead?

GTFO and experiment plz
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
seriously.. you know what sound you want in your head, spend an hour sitting in front of your gear playing the same riffs over again... play one picking, and one strumming.. then adjust, repeat
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Turn down your mids for a start. Mids at 10 will 99% of the time sound crap.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra

Tell that to Dream Pin.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by jambi_mantra

Finally someone talks some sense on the mids subject.

Quote by darkarbiter7
Tell that to Dream Pin.

Dream pin, mids at 10 sounds like shit.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Stevo: That's why UG should have a parental filter, there are too many anti-social kids on sugar-trips here. ^^ Anyway, your testosterone-outbreaks only makes you seem more of a loser.

Fighting: Yeah, I know, but that's why I've called it fine-tuning. I've riffed, staccato'ed etc. etc., but I just can't seem to get completely right. I can update you with that by setting Treble to 6, Middle to 10 and Bass to 1½, it seems I'm getting there alright.

Jambi: Tried it out, I think I'm in the 1% then. But thanks anyway.

Anyone got some thoughts on effects? Preferably without the hormone-crazed teenage replies? :P UG is a fantastic place to be, why are they still trying to make it bad? Go out and meet some people for once! Sheesh, Stevo. ^^
Well, strangely this mid settings seem to work great. O.o. I think I'll go with it though, even though people criticize it a lot.
oh dear, we have teh big man on teh interwebz

if you cant get the settings right, in your room, with your equipment, and your playing style, how the hell are we supposed to from the other side of the world? (im assuming from the arrogance that youre american here)

and if youre going to be a fag about it then *reported* for not using the settings thread
Hehe, talking about arrogance. No, Mr. generalization, I'm just a Dane who needs some fine-tuning tips on my amplifier. ^^ I assume (and you assure me) that you don't know where you are at the moment nor that you could be a person with any musical insight. :P Anyway, it's alright, everyone has their say in here. No bad vibes, Sir Stevo, LEADER OF THE LANEY CULT! Roar... ^^

Report me, please. =)
Again, please, I stated "Fine-Tuning" in both the headline and the first paragraphs of the post, if you lack the basic ability of reading and understanding, maybe this is not the place for you.
i cannot fine tune your sound! noone can! only you! with your gear, your hands, and your room!
Stevo, it's alright! Don't worry, you can't do it and you don't have all the answers to everything in here, and that's perfectly fine with me and everyone around here. =) While I am doing what I can, with my hands and my gear, without your help, others might be able to help me out by first reading all of what I wrote and then try to see if they can be helpful. If not, that's alright, but there is no need to make a fool out of one self by flaming another person over something as simple as a question. But it's alright, I don't blame you. We all love you anyway. =)
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
oh dear, we have teh big man on teh interwebz

if you cant get the settings right, in your room, with your equipment, and your playing style, how the hell are we supposed to from the other side of the world? (im assuming from the arrogance that youre american here)

and if youre going to be a fag about it then *reported* for not using the settings thread

I ain't taking sides but you better be damn sure there are no arrogant people in the UK before you make comments like that.
Quote by TheProducer
I ain't taking sides but you better be damn sure there are no arrogant people in the UK before you make comments like that.

On that note, I am an American, and while I do defacate solid gold, I am not the least bit arrogant.
I do see your point though, if the tone Lichine is shooting for is close to what he/she is going for, there's really nothing we can do. If Lichine came in here saying, "I just bought an amp, and on my way there I lost my ears and can't hear anything and need help dialing in a tone," we might be able to help him/her out. However, that's obviously not the case. Sorry we couldn't help, and let's keep this civil.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson SG w/ Bigsby
Ibanez Roadster Bass
Sovtek MiG 60
Marshall 1965B
Maestro Echoplex EP-3
MXR Ten Band EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Ross Phaser
Boss DD-6
And that's a perfect answer. Thanks, I'll do what I can to get close. The distortion's though a tad muddy still, but hopefully I'll sort it out.
Quote by Lichine
And that's a perfect answer. Thanks, I'll do what I can to get close.
The distortion's though a tad muddy still, but hopefully I'll sort it out.

Seriously, try turning down your mids. Too much mids is very likely to be the cause of the muddiness. Just try it.

EDIT: And up your presence to around 3 or 4, might help to clear things up a bit.

My Music
And you have a Valveking, which aren't particularly great, either are the valveking cabs.

Stevo has a point though, if you don't know what to do when you're there, how are we going to do it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by fitzyfantastic
On that note, I am an American, and while I do defacate solid gold, I am not the least bit arrogant.

My Music
Well, I can't agree on the Valvekings aren't great. I literally slept over at the guitar shop (which was pretty big and professional) along with the other band members to test out Marshalls etc. but in the end, only the Valveking could pack the punch. It made the "best" Marshalls stand out like small crybabies that had to be cranked up to 7-8 before it reached the same volume of the Peavey. (Not forgetting to mention the insane amount of feedback / statics :/) I seriously was very critical about buying a Peavey until I tried it out, and it fits my kind of sound perfectly.

In the end, when talking about amps it's not very objective to say something is not particularly great (no offence at all, just my thoughts), but it should instead come down to if the sound of the amp matches the sound of what the player / band has in mind.

Timi: I took down the middle a little bit and it did an okay job, not much though, but thanks a bunch. The Presence didn't give much, but I'll have it in mind.

Jambi: Well, again, I thought that if I gave some references to what I wanted to sound like or in the vicinity of (like I wrote in the first post) then some sound savvy would say, well hmm...try this or that treble with this or that bass etc.

It is not that I can't configure my own amp at all, sorry for giving that impression, I was merely talking about fine-tuning.

Thank you all though. Maybe this should be closed. ^^
SG Trasher: :P More kids on UG. Well, nevermind, it was just a question. I would though say that real morons are people who first of all don't even have the intelligence to actually read a post / request and afterwards give a constructive feedback. =)

Anyway, again, how should I care whether you're sad people. This actually got me closer to the sound I wanted. :P Peace, love and harmony, children. ^^
You can act all condescending and superior if you want, just because you're too arrogant to accept that perhaps these "kids" know better than you doesn't mean they don't. We've offered you our help and opinions and you've not paid a blind bit of notice, so please, swan off and sit there stubbornly with your mids on 10 and your finger in your arse.

My Music
Quote by SG thrasher
What do you care? You're from Canada.

Threadstarter, you're a moron, we can't choose what tone you'll like, try turning your mids down and stop bandwagon hopping.

Why do I care? Because he made an ignorant comment that could easily be applied to any country. Come to think of it, it's rather arrogant to assume of the people from one country are arrogant, is it not? We're talking guitars. Where someone is from is irrelevant and is a childish comeback at best.
Quote by TheProducer
Why do I care? Because he made an ignorant comment that could easily be applied to any country. Come to think of it, it's rather arrogant to assume of the people from one country are arrogant, is it not? We're talking guitars. Where someone is from is irrelevant and is a childish comeback at best.

I'm pretty sure the addition of the Terrance and Phillip picture showed that he wasn't being serious. Lighten up.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
We gotz a serious Laney Cult offensive here it would seem

Only thing I got to contribute is that, albeit in a slightly over the top manner, Stevo has the basic jist of it. You seem to have made a successful go at getting the tone you want, which shows you don't lack the ability to tell tone you want from tone you don't. And since you have this ability, we can really do little or nothing to help further.

Plus, you say you want Simon's sound, but even if you knew his exact settings the chances are something would be a tiny bit off. His tone is unlikely to be just what you want, you'd probably end up up the mids just a touch, or lowering the bass a smidgen.
Quote by SugarRush66
We gotz a serious Laney Cult offensive here it would seem

Only thing I got to contribute is that, albeit in a slightly over the top manner, Stevo has the basic jist of it. You seem to have made a successful go at getting the tone you want, which shows you don't lack the ability to tell tone you want from tone you don't. And since you have this ability, we can really do little or nothing to help further.

Plus, you say you want Simon's sound, but even if you knew his exact settings the chances are something would be a tiny bit off. His tone is unlikely to be just what you want, you'd probably end up up the mids just a touch, or lowering the bass a smidgen.

This

The fact of the matter is, no matter how much you fine tune your settings, you'll never sound like Simon.

Why?

Because you aren't him, you don't play like him, and you don't have his gear.

If you can't get close with whatever settings you have, get a graphic EQ and tune it even more.

It's pointless trying to sound like someone else.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
This

The fact of the matter is, no matter how much you fine tune your settings, you'll never sound like Simon.

Why?

Because you aren't him, you don't play like him, and you don't have his gear.

If you can't get close with whatever settings you have, get a graphic EQ and tune it even more.

It's pointless trying to sound like someone else.

It's pointless trying to sound exactly like someone else, but it is reasonable to get close.

Ever heard of a cover band? When I play a someone else's song I would like to get reasonably close.
Quote by TheProducer
It's pointless trying to sound exactly like someone else, but it is reasonable to get close.

Ever heard of a cover band?

Is he in one?

Cover bands don't focus on nailing exact tones anyways. They don't sit around for hours disecting guitar tones. They just play covers.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Liche, just because you like to talk down to all of the other users on this thread doesn't make your post any less ridiculous. I'm not going to be the last one to tell you that we can't help you find your unique sound, only you can. Just because we tell you that we can't do it doesn't make everyone here a "hormonal teenager". How about you get off of your high horse and go find your own fucking tone you moron.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Is he in one?

Cover bands don't focus on nailing exact tones anyways. They don't sit around for hours disecting guitar tones. They just play covers.

Are you in one?

Playing a cover with your band isn't the same as being in a cover band. I'm talking a serious cover band that tours sounding very similar to the original and play nothing but their songs. They pretty much need to nail the tone as best as possible.
Quote by TheProducer
Are you in one?

Playing a cover with your band isn't the same as being in a cover band. I'm talking a serious cover band that tours sounding very similar to the original and play nothing but their songs. They pretty much need to nail the tone as best as possible.

Really? I didn't see Led Zepagain with Hiwatt and Marshall Plexi amps. Or The Four Horsemen with Mesa/Boogie Mark IVs into Marshall power amps.

They don't need to nail the tone as best as possible because people could give two shits about tone. They just want to hear their favourite songs and watch the bands play.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
WHAT HAVE I CREATED?!?!?!

A fire that can't be put out
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Really? I didn't see Led Zepagain with Hiwatt and Marshall Plexi amps. Or The Four Horsemen with Mesa/Boogie Mark IVs into Marshall power amps.

They don't need to nail the tone as best as possible because people could give two shits about tone. They just want to hear their favourite songs and watch the bands play.

Tone = part of hearing your favorite song.
Quote by TheProducer
Tone = part of hearing your favorite song.

Whatever.

Let's agree to disagree.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Well the shit's hit the fan now.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Page 1 of 2