I've just joined a new band with a mate, who's a better guitarist than me, so I've swallowed my pride and decided to get a bass for this reason.
The band's style is going to be a really British indie sorta thing, so I'm guessing a P-Bass is going to be in order.
To start with, I'm thinking of a Squier Vintage Modified P, seems like the sorta thing I'm after, and it's got the image, lol
Any thoughts on what brand of amp I should get is very welcome =D
Cheers
Swallowed your pride? I could help, but instead I'll swallow my pride and tell you to fuck off and read the FAQ.
wouldn't it just be better for you to have two guitarists and get some who actually plays bass?
Rockin' shit
I would suggest to play rhythm guitar, and have him play lead.. get a bassist and a drummer
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
pssshhh whp plays bass in a band that could play guitar

i love playing bass.. but really, in modern music, unless its a break down, a soft song or an intro, u cant hear the bass :|
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
I would suggest to play rhythm guitar, and have him play lead.. get a bassist and a drummer

this.

and don't tell bassists you swallowed your pride and decided to get a bass.

they have 34" scale weapons. I'm not threatening you, but if this was real life, I might have hit you. I hate when people talk down on the bass. it is way better than guitar, and you don't have to be a jackass to use one.

to answer your question, that is a fine instrument.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
squier vintage mod P is nice...... 3 days till i get mine! lol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by the humanity
this.

and don't tell bassists you swallowed your pride and decided to get a bass.

they have 34" scale weapons. I'm not threatening you, but if this was real life, I might have hit you. I hate when people talk down on the bass. it is way better than guitar, and you don't have to be a jackass to use one.

to answer your question, that is a fine instrument.

And lots of us have even bigger weapons!

After really getting into bass, electric guitars feel like toys to me, I'm not putting them down, they definately have their place in a band situation, I'd just like to be behind the bass
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Right, sorry if it sounded like I was putting bass below guitar. I wasn't
I'm fairly set on the Squier, but it's more advice on amps that I need
Cheers again
yaya bad move on the dissing our chosen instrument jacka**

but im compassionate and will lend you a hand neways.

you want a jazz - a P bass would get your sound, but you can make a Jazz sound like a P bass anyways and the smaller neck size might help your conversion between the instruments.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
no, for indie the P will fit. a jazz will work, but he seems to like the p a lot based at least on look and who plays it, if not how he has played it.

the smaller neck size may help, but he seems to like it. (may I ask why?)

finally, on amps, you want 200 watts or more, not Behringer at any price.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

If it's British indie style thing, then a lot of bands have two guitarists and a bassist, You could separate rhythm and lead, or you could both collaborate (like The Libertines)
Quote by 3_D
you want a jazz - a P bass would get your sound, but you can make a Jazz sound like a P bass

wrong
and jazz cant, simply cant get the sound of p bass, it can be quite similar but not the same
that why there is still people who buy p basses with the same great toen instead of j basses with lots of not so great tones
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
hey guys, I think he was swallowing his pride because he was the worst guitarist and therefore had to learn another instrument. I don't find the fact that he had to switch to another instrument (that happened to be bass) insulting.
It's not that he doesn't like bass, he's just swallowed his pride by admitting he was worse at guitar than the other guy.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Quote by KKING911
hey guys, I think he was swallowing his pride because he was the worst guitarist and therefore had to learn another instrument. I don't find the fact that he had to switch to another instrument (that happened to be bass) insulting.
It's not that he doesn't like bass, he's just swallowed his pride by admitting he was worse at guitar than the other guy.

he made it sound like bass sucks and it was shameful to recieve the job of bassist. we're over it now anyways.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by watchingmefall
More british indie? Doesn't the world have enough of that?

See what I did there?

yes. the world has enough. and I see.

but if we make a bunch of Brit indie bands, maybe the quality will go up....
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by KKING911

+1

Thats the way i read the post. I was offered to swap from rhythm guitar to bass many years ago when the bassist left, and I declined. They ended up getting a new bassist and getting rid of me instead And the ironic thing? I'm loving playing bass now! ironic.

Bass amp wise I have a little laney amp, and think its great! It won't be enough to practise with a drum kit but I'm sure they do bigger ones.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by watchingmefall
More british indie? Doesn't the world have enough of that?

See what I did there?

No, no it doesnt.

U-G nooB

Quote by the humanity
yes. the world has enough. and I see.

but if we make a bunch of Brit indie bands, maybe the quality will go up....

I agree with that! there is the odd good one still if your willing to look hard enough.

Anyhow, bass amps.........

U-G nooB

Quote by KKING911

Yeah I was about to say.

I mean, I totally appreciate my bass brothers rising up to defend our honor as musicians, and preserving the integrity of the bass as an instrument. For that, a round of shots for my fellow bassers.

However, I'm pretty sure TS was just saying he swallowed his pride because he had to put down his guitar, which is the instrument he is familiar with and loves, to pick up a new one.

My initial response was of course defensive also, but after thinking about it for a second, I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying you meant no offense, TS.

As for the P-Bass... I mean, you can't really go wrong with it.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by jamierulesworld
I've just joined a new band with a mate, who's a better guitarist than me, so I've swallowed my pride and decided to get a bass for this reason.
The band's style is going to be a really British indie sorta thing, so I'm guessing a P-Bass is going to be in order.
To start with, I'm thinking of a Squier Vintage Modified P, seems like the sorta thing I'm after, and it's got the image, lol
Any thoughts on what brand of amp I should get is very welcome =D
Cheers

welcome to UG Bass

many of us chose the bass for simular reasons, and we're glad we did.

your bass choice is solid. for amp suggestions, check the FAQ first. it may answer your question. the determining factors are your budget, and your volume requirements. what is your guitar player using? do you have a drummer(that owns drums)? good practice amps run $200+. minumum gig amps $400+.
yeah dude i had to start bass just a few weeks ago so our band could have a bass player. its so embarrassing, cuz everyone has 10 times more experience than me soo im kinda thinkin about droppin out.
Quote by DreykeB210
yeah dude i had to start bass just a few weeks ago so our band could have a bass player. its so embarrassing, cuz everyone has 10 times more experience than me soo im kinda thinkin about droppin out.

You should stay. It forces you to be a better musician.
I joined my first band within three days of getting my first bass.
All the indie fans at my school are self possessed, cardigan wearing, dicks, who you can't help but hate. TBH, indie fails because Indie is not a genre, Indie just means the band is one their own record label, I mean you could Say Anarchy Club or Enter Shikari (vomits) are indie because they're not on a main stream label.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by watchingmefall

+1
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by smb
Is it a bad thing to possess ones self Chem?

No, I'm not saying that, I just hate the Ignorance of Indie bands, they're not independent, so why say they are?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Hell half the 'decent' Indie bands are actually signed to a major label which makes there genre a complete lie! Why do people have to change the meaning of words to describe there music! WHY!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by watchingmefall

+2

Go for it mate, you will strive to be good. I'm learning bass, although its my choice, and its every bit as good as guitar- love it. And if i'd have done what you are considering doing 12 years ago, i'd probably still be in the same band- they're still going.

As for the indie comments, I agree- nothing to do with the independant stuff, over here indie became a genre cos it didnt fit into any other genre- if that makes sense thats my 2c anyway.

U-G nooB

Quote by KKING911

That's basically it, lol. I'm a better singer than the other guy and he's a better guitarist.
Cheers for the advice btw, much appreciated
There are just so many things wrong with this thread. First Read the FAQ!!!!!! Second don't tell bassists you've swallowed your pride to become a bassist, this creates a similar reaction such as on scrubs when J.D. talks down the janitor (not that I am calling bassists the janitors of the music world)

Now for some advice the Squier p-bass sounds like a good choice, as for an amp try them out at a store , the sound you're looking for may not be what everyone else thinks, but for a generic sound try an ampeg
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Bang for your buck, I'd recommend a Peavey. Although they lack the sweet, sweet Ampeg tone, they are loud for cheap. Although I have a feeling you will convert, in case you don't I recommend a cheap Peavey so you can be heard without breaking the bank.
I found the first post incredibly offensive, but the OP gets an e-cookie for saving the thread.

Anyway, check the FAQ, it was made for a reason.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke