I drove down to vermont with some friends to check out one of the closest guitar places to me and they had a TON of kustom amps. I had never heard of them before but when we plugged a michael kelly hex deluxe in they sounded AMAZING. Did I just not have enough time with the amp or are they really that good? (I believe the model was a kustom quad100dfx)
I have a Kustom 16w and i think its awsome at BP it easily keeps up with my m8s fender hot rod delux when its on 2 volume and mine set on about half with pedals
Quote by .HUZZAH.
Just hit all the strings at once, raping your e string and making retardly out of place pinch harmonics

oh wait, this isn't a slipknot concert..

FREEBIRD!

And the amish said let their be CHEESE...
Last edited by GuitarManDan15 at Jul 7, 2008,
I've got a 10 watt Kustom bass amp and I really dig it, a lot of my friends/band mates have all said that it's a pretty legit amp.
I own a Kustom '72 Coupe 212 combo, and it sounds amazing... when it works. It worked perfectly for about a year, and then it died. I fixed it (read: paid $200 for the best amp repair place in my state to do it), and it works now, with half power. They definitely cut corners (at least with this model), and that's why they are so cheap. Also, the Made in USA label is a load of garbage. The PCBs were made in China, says so right on them.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson SG w/ Bigsby
Ibanez Roadster Bass
Sovtek MiG 60
Marshall 1965B
Maestro Echoplex EP-3
MXR Ten Band EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Ross Phaser
Boss DD-6
I own a Kustom 10 watt practice amp, and I've played a Quad half-stack before. I have to say, from my experiences, Kustom seems great. The practice amp has never let me down, and it is very small and light, so it's easy to carry around.

Anyway, for the price of the Kustom quad, I'd say it is one of best SS amps in its price range. HOWEVER, it is 100 watts, and well, if it is simply for bedroom practice, it may be too loud. Saying that though, for the price of it, you could play through some good small gigs with it. Kustom are definately an underated company. Good quality SS amps at a small price.
Quote by Tackleberry
My coupe is a really nice amp. Dont know about their SS stuff.

yeah, the coupe's really nice (shame it's way too dear here though), haven't tried the SS stuff either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AdamDK

HOWEVER, it is 100 watts, and well, if it is simply for bedroom practice, it may be too loud. Saying that though, for the price of it, you could play through some good small gigs with it. Kustom are definately an underated company. Good quality SS amps at a small price.

Yea it probably would be mainly for practice/jamming with friends but tbh the 100 watter sounded SO much better than the 65 watter. Not sure if that makes any sense at all but it just seemed like it had much more warmth.
The Quad 100 is fantastic. Great clean and great lower-gain sounds, and it takes pedals like an absolute dream. Gain is AC/DCish at max and with the gain knob above 2 o'clock area, it starts to get muddy. I keep it around noon. I'm contemplating a speaker swap, but the stock Celestions are nice enough for the time being.

The HV series, the hybrid ones, I didn't like that well. Pretty fizzy all around.

The Coupes are awesome. Very bassy, which is why I prefer the 210 rather than the 112 or 212, but the cleans have a very Fendery feel (especially in "Bright" mode) and the lead channel is like a Recto with a bit less oomph. I like it particularly with single coils because with humbuckers (at least the ones I tried it with) tended to muddy it a bit.

The Defender is out now and I'm dying to try it. A one-channel 50-watt all-tube amp that uses either EL84s or 6L6s, and the Master Volume knob can be disengaged if you want an older amp feel.

The Double Cross, which finally ships at the end of this month, looks like it's gonna be the be-all-end-all of high gain amps. Check out www.kustomdoublecross.com.
I have a Kustom TRT-100 Head thats got the greatest clean tone I've EVER heard. Period.

But...
The distortion channel lacks anything past the 1960's
I haven't seen another TRT series amp before though
Maybe it's an older model??
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by boxerb
Yea it probably would be mainly for practice/jamming with friends but tbh the 100 watter sounded SO much better than the 65 watter. Not sure if that makes any sense at all but it just seemed like it had much more warmth.

Well in that case, I guess it wouldn't hurt to get the 100 watter then. Just be prepared for a fairly-loud practice amp But yeah, if you're jamming with friends, then get the 100 watt. Especially if any friends are drummers.

Also, it seems it can do metal. Check out this video of a Like Like To Flies cover. (Link)
hm looks like he's using a digitech death metal distortion pedal
Quote by papersun87
The Defender is out now and I'm dying to try it. A one-channel 50-watt all-tube amp that uses either EL84s or 6L6s, and the Master Volume knob can be disengaged if you want an older amp feel.

yeah, i'd like to try that one too. Apparently it's made in china instead of the USA (like the coupe) so they may also have cut costs with the parts so it might not sound as good (or then again, it might).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by boxerb
hm looks like he's using a digitech death metal distortion pedal

I guess if you spend £30/$60 for a distortion pedal, then it wouldn't hurt. Or even an overdrive such as the Boss SD-1 just so you can boost the channel.
The 1x12 coupe can have alot of bass. I used to dial it out but have a second amp run off the dry output on my chorus pedal in the FX loop. I leave the bass in the coupe and boost the treble in the second amp that has a 1x10 speaker. Works pretty good. And the second SS amp even sounds pretty good running off the preamp in the coupe. The store I got my coupe at only had the 1x12 no 2x10 or 2x12s. As its really hard to find things like PC boards even being made here anymore no shock to find one in a USmade amp. Cant say Ive ever had any problems with my amp like another guy posted. But mine rarely leaves the house and doesnt get cranked on regular basis.