I think I may have killed my Vox 30 watt amp When I turn it on theres nothing for a second and then this pulsing buzzing sound. It's hard to explain but I think I may have blown it out or something. Since I have no skill in mechanics whatsoever, I was wondering is someone knew what the problem was and how to fix it. Please help.
Well, the nothing is it warming up.

Do you have the effects bypassed? If not, do that. Then check to see if you have the attenuator knob in the back turned down.

May I ask what you did to make you think this? It will help diagnose the issue.
1 tube to warm up, that would explain the second of silence. Im not sure you can blow it unless you some how managed to kill the tube or some sort of surge?:S
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
It doesn't work at all. I wouldn't even know how to bypass the effects so I doubt that's the problem. Would it help if somehow I took an audio recording to show you instead of helplessly explaining. Sorry I'm new at this.
Quote by guitarnoob22
It doesn't work at all. I wouldn't even know how to bypass the effects so I doubt that's the problem. Would it help if somehow I took an audio recording to show you instead of helplessly explaining. Sorry I'm new at this.

All I meant was hit the "Bypass" button in the effects control section.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
if it doesn't work at all how are you going to do an audio recording?

you may have taken a power surge and simply need a fuse but i have zero experience with these amps.

I recorded the sound it makes when I turn it on. You can go to my MP3s to listen to it. You're gonna have to turn it up a lot though. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/guitarnoob22/music/all/play353467. theres the link. It sounded like a machine gun before and kinda startled me. Hopefully that will help. Oh, I checked the fuse and there's nothing wrong with it.
Turn your amp on, let it warm up (30 seconds should be fine) and fiddle with the power attenuator knob.
Now does it sound like the speaker is gonna explode when you do?
If so then its probably that pot.
I had that problem with my AD30VT. I replaced the pot and its all fine now.
You will need a 100k double ganged PCB mounted pot 16mm.
I found one at radio shack. Cost me about $3.
But you do have to take your amp apart.

You can check : http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=5d37cc49e5f9af33a0538dc1fe5edc7d

Looks for the message about adding and effect loop. It has instruction on taking the amp apart.
Or find a friend thats a techie and have him do it.
Or even ask you question there.
Voxman and Nik are tech gods there.
Quote by guitarnoob22
I recorded the sound it makes when I turn it on. You can go to my MP3s to listen to it. You're gonna have to turn it up a lot though. http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/guitarnoob22/music/all/play353467. theres the link. It sounded like a machine gun before and kinda startled me. Hopefully that will help. Oh, I checked the fuse and there's nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, that does sound weird. The intermittent clicking sound? I was gonna say take it in but CodeMonk looks like he may be on to something. I will just say if it is still under warranty you may not want to take it apart.
Did any of you happen to think the guitar might be the problem?

plug your guitar into a diffrent amp and see if its that.
I wish he'd explain if something actually happened to the amp that he knows of, or if it just stopped working one day when he turned it on.
Quote by TheKaiser77
Did any of you happen to think the guitar might be the problem?

plug your guitar into a diffrent amp and see if its that.

The guitar is fine. I plugged it into my Marshall and it works no problem. As for the amp, I was playing it one day and it just stopped working. I turned it back on and thats the sound I got. Sorry about any confusion
maybe the jack fell trough.
any how i got one and its worth fixing so at least take it to a tech, there really great amps in the Overdrive section and clean if you ask me and id take it over a cheap tube amp like the valveking any day but thats just me.
Quote by TheKaiser77
maybe the jack fell trough.
any how i got one and its worth fixing so at least take it to a tech, there really great amps in the Overdrive section and clean if you ask me and id take it over a cheap tube amp like the valveking any day but thats just me.

He can plug into it...so I think he'd know if the jack fell through.
Opps I listed the wrong site
http://www.valvetronix.net/forum/
Again, Nik and Voxman are the ones to go to for info there. Especially Nik.

And I'm not sure if thats the same part. The one I got had all the tabs on one side.
I also had to cut those tabs off. Had to solder some component leads into the holes on the pot to make it fit on the board properly and to also fit in the hole on the back of the amp that the pot goes through.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jul 8, 2008,
Quote by CodeMonk
Opps I listed the wrong site
http://www.valvetronix.net/forum/
Again, Nik and Voxman are the ones to go to for info there. Especially Nik.

And I'm not sure if thats the same part. The one I got had all the tabs on one side.
I also had to cut those tabs off. Had to solder some component leads into the holes on the pot to make it fit on the board properly and to also fit in the hole on the back of the amp that the pot goes through.

How do you get the pot out of the speaker?
Ok, now another problem has come up. When I turn on the amp it starts smoking from the heatsink. Why is this happening?
Quote by guitarnoob22
Ok, now another problem has come up. When I turn on the amp it starts smoking from the heatsink. Why is this happening?

Okay, you now have bigger problems than what can be fixed via the internet. Take it to a tech.
maybe not the same problem,but i own a ad30vt amp and for no mayor reason it decided to blow all my fuses i just got some replacements and now it fine

if ur under warranty get customer service if not any local guitar shop will fix it under 50$

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal