Theoretically, if someone soldered an IC (Op Amp) into a PCB the wrong way...how would they get it out???
You'd have to undo every solder joint really quick, then pull it out before any of the joints solidify again. This is why we have sockets.
They sell desoldering braid. And a little vacuum tool to suck up the solder before it goes solid again. Neither is perfect. Be less solder to deal with. Still isnt going to just fallout.
The best thing for this is a desoldering iron. It's an iron with a hollow tip and a bulb on the end that sucks up solder while it's still molten. It works every time, too. The sell 'em at radio shack for 20 or 25 bucks. Just suck up all the solder on the pins and it'll lift right out.

I dunno how I ever got along w/o one. Definately worth it.
why can't you just lie the soldering iron along the middle, so that it touches all 8 legs at once? or heat up one side of legs, pull them out, then heat the other side, or just rip out the IC with a pair of pliers and brute force, then solder out all the little legs?

Crude, yes, and bound to wreck the IC itself, but it would get the job done, right?
If the IC is in backwards its mostly dead...that is if voltage has been applied to it ever.

Use sockets...I have spent hours pulling out my hair trying to figure why my build wasnt working. Turned out my bad of bag of 75 JRC588Ds were all dead (probbly cause of static)... With a socket stuff like this is an easy fix.
Quote by Invader Jim
The best thing for this is a desoldering iron. It's an iron with a hollow tip and a bulb on the end that sucks up solder while it's still molten. It works every time, too. The sell 'em at radio shack for 20 or 25 bucks. Just suck up all the solder on the pins and it'll lift right out.

I dunno how I ever got along w/o one. Definately worth it.

Those are A WONDERFUL "God's gift" to tinkerers like us.
I wanna get one of those that have the vacuum pump, but I'm to poor for that.