After looking at my course choices in school, i saw that music theory AP (AP meaning a college course offered at high school) was a choice. Even though i'm not serious about taking guitar to a professional level, it's only a semester, and could do wonders with my guitar playing. It could also be a bit easier because i've been playing viola for 3 years. So, should i take it?

for those who have taken a music theory class in high school, how hard is it?
yes, take it. it takes some work, but its not too difficult. theory made me a much better guitarist and songwriter. by all means, take it!
I was kicking myself when they offered it one year, and I didn't take it. Then they didn't offer it any other years, because so many people dropped it and hated it. BUT!!!! Most of the kids were choir kids who took it because their choir teacher taught it. I asked one of the students what it was like (she plays guitar as well) and said "It's the hardest class I've taken, and I'm in College Algebra." I asked her what she had to do, and she said "Stuff like chord composition, putting the 5th in the bass, stuff like that."

WTH? I could do that in my sleep!

Take it. And apply yourself, don't just sit there and count the minutes.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Quote by MRavioli
After looking at my course choices in school, i saw that music theory AP (AP meaning a college course offered at high school) was a choice. Even though i'm not serious about taking guitar to a professional level, it's only a semester, and could do wonders with my guitar playing. It could also be a bit easier because i've been playing viola for 3 years. So, should i take it?

for those who have taken a music theory class in high school, how hard is it?

I took a theory class my senior year in HS. It was a full year class, every day. I found it challenging as I had only been playing guitar for about a year.. and had very little, if any, musical background at all. I learned so much in that class, though. I've taken two music classes in college that only barely went beyond what I learned in that class. Yours may be different from mine as it's only a semester, but I'd do it anyway if you're even slightly interested in playing music.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
then i'm totally taking it. if orchestra in 9th grade doesn't work out, i'm gona have 3 years of empty schedule space
I took an AP music theory class at my highschool which was then changed to honors because the AP test is very hard to prepare for and most schools don't let you place out of first year theory with it, but it was an extremely useful class. The material you cover can get pretty detailed, and you should know these things before you enter the class: how to read treble and bass clefs, all the key signatures, diatonic triads all 7 of them, how to read music of course, basic knowledge of time signatures. If you don't know this stuff you should learn considering as you said it's only a semester class and the information is just going to fly you.
12 fret fury
Do you have the option of changing subjects if you have difficulty?

I'd say so. Choose a back-up subject and then if you struggle or don't like theory take it instead.
Quote by confusius

I'd say so. Choose a back-up subject and then if you struggle or don't like theory take it instead.

I do, but its alright because even if i get an 80 in the class, i'll still have a 4.0 in the class (american education system FTL)

I have at least a year's time to learn more than basic music theory, so i'm not concerned about not being prepared for the class
Last edited by MRavioli at Jul 7, 2008,
Where I live, you have to know ALL of the basic materials (Key/Time Signatures, Bass/Treble/Alto Clefs, Chord Composition, Interval/Note Recognition) in addition to being able to identify intervals/notes by ear as well. They also won't even consider you if you don't play piano where I live, which I think is extremely discriminant, but what am I going to do?
Quote by confusius

That's what is awesome about taking theory at an early age (or at least in high school). Your school schedules are still very flexible and not set in stone as much as they are at a university. Do it!
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
My high school didn't have a music theory class. If I had that oppurtunity, it would be first choice. Besides, if you can understand basic math and geometry, you can understand music theory.
Quote by Albert Einstein
Nuh-uh. Nuh-uh. NUH-UH. NOPE. NO! NOPE! WRONG! NO! UR AN IDIOT! STFU! GTFO!

Quote by genghisgandhi
Eyebrows has no Whoopi Goldberg, for never is she surprised?

I took it last year. I didn't learn much. We mostly just learned how to read music for the first half (which I already knew) and then learned about chords, progressions, etc. for a while (which I already knew). We didn't do anything for the last few months.
Quote by werty22
I took it last year. I didn't learn much. We mostly just learned how to read music for the first half (which I already knew) and then learned about chords, progressions, etc. for a while (which I already knew). We didn't do anything for the last few months.

Ha, ditto for me. Music theory classes in Tennessee are basically just one big joke.

Although, I do deffinately recomend taking the course. If you have something to apply it to, then in no way is it useless.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
I'm taking music theory this upcoming year, and i heard it was pretty easy. I already know a lot about theory already, so i hope it'll be easy for me.

but yeah, i'd say go ahead and do it, because theory really helps me when i'm writing, and if it's hard, you could probably just switch out of the class