So I'm looking to buy an Ashdown MAG 300 combo amp, but there are options in 115 combo and 210 combo. The 210 costs $70 USD more and I'm curious how these would compare.

I'm no newbie to bass, and I'm pretty critical of my tone but I've never played a 115 next to a 210 of the same model to compare their sound. I know that a 210 will have more punch and defined highs, but will this sacrifice much of the low end? I'm using a 5 string in standard tuning and I still want my low notes to have a solid presence.

If the 210 has comprable bass to the 115, I'd go with that even for the extra $ but I'm not sure whether I would sacrifice bass.

I'd love any insight that you guys have on which I should buy.

Thanks
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
I have a MAG300 combo 2x10 also with a 1x15 cab. The 2x10 by itself sounds good with a nice high end, and the low end is alright. It lacked a little of the low end which was fixed when i plugged in the 1x15.

The 1x15 by itself is good with more bass but a little less highs although it still is nice. I think that going with the 1x15 could be better because it has good bass and a pretty good higher end and is, as you say, $70 cheaper.
Quote by allym94
I have a MAG300 combo 2x10 also with a 1x15 cab. The 2x10 by itself sounds good with a nice high end, and the low end is alright. It lacked a little of the low end which was fixed when i plugged in the 1x15.

The 1x15 by itself is good with more bass but a little less highs although it still is nice. I think that going with the 1x15 could be better because it has good bass and a pretty good higher end and is, as you say, $70 cheaper.

Thanks. I guess what I'm looking for is the amp which would be able to stand up on its own until I can afford an extension cab.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
I see it as the two 10" pushing more air then one 15"
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
2x10" > 1x15" (air pusshing)
but if you have a 5 string i would suggest you to go for the 15" also having a 15" means you can later buy a 4x12 or 2x12 to add high end if you want
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I see it as the two 10" pushing more air then one 15"

If you look at the actual area of the speakers the 15" is pushing more.

3.14(5)^2=78.5*2 speakers=157"
3.14(7.5)^2=176.625"

I realize that speakers are conic, but that's a rough estimate at the very least.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
If you look at the actual area of the speakers the 15" is pushing more.

3.14(5)^2=78.5*2 speakers=157"
3.14(7.5)^2=176.625"

I realize that speakers are conic, but that's a rough estimate at the very least.

And they say musicians are lazy and un-educated... pfft - he just blew my small febal little mind :P
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
Quote by 3_D
And they say musicians are lazy and un-educated... pfft - he just blew my small febal little mind :P
Dude, that's the area of a circle formula. Most 10 year olds I know can pull that off.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

yea i know the whole pie(radious)^ dealio - i was just joking guys:P nothin more than a small bit of sarcasim
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
Quote by 3_D
yea i know the whole pie(radious)^ dealio - i was just joking guys:P nothin more than a small bit of sarcasim

he says hurridly
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Well, on topic, let's not forget to take your band situation into account. Assuming you have a band situation.

You tell us - for what you're doing, do you need more rumble or do you need to cutting power? 15" and 2x10" respectively.

That being said, my ultimate suggestion is to, of course, get both of them eventually.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
To put all this stuff simply:

The 15" moves more air and has a better low end, and you play a fiver. Sounds good to me.

Plus, you can add a 410 and make a full stack, rather than adding a 15" to the 210 and making a 3/4 stack.
Nope, no sig here.