Hey the UG. I am a fairly new bass palyer/hobbiest and I am trying to decide what I want my next bass to be. I have narrowed it down to two basses. I only have about a $350 budget, so if you have played or do play, own or haved owned eaither of these basses, or you can just read specs well, hopefully you can help me out.

The First Bass

Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Classic design
Alder body (Mahogany on Silverburst finish)
34" scale
Maple neck
Rosewood fingerboard
20 frets
2 TB-Plus humbuckers
2 Volume and 1 tone
Chrome hardware
Polyurethane finish
Limited lifetime warranty

The Second Bass

Ibanez SRX2EX1 4-String

Bound basswood body
3-piece maple neck
Rosewood fingerboard
24 medium frets
Matching headstock
Black hardware
34" scale
Dual humbucking pickups
2-band EQ

Just so oyu know, I generally play Punk/Hard Rock in Drop D tuning, but I do sometimes feel the need to drop to C tuning for some KSE. So basicallly, I know that both of these basses are good for my price range, and I have played both in the store before, but I jsut want some feedback. Currently, my Fender can't hold the C tuning for anything (its a low end Squire), but holds the D well. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Rem
You're gonna get a lot of people recommending the Ibanez and Burning the T-bird in no time soon - Just bring yer hot-dogs
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
word of warning, the vast majority of this forum hate t-birds..... and for very good reason
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Have you played either or both of these basses? They're vastly different beasts--my thinking is that if you go and try both of these basses out, the choice will become quickly apparent to you.

And while your there, try a few more in that price range--there's some rather nice options beyond these basses as well.

Psst. Check out the FAQ btw...
LoL, thanks for the input so far. Aside form the Ibanez and the Squire mentioned above, are there any other 4 strings for $350 anyone would recomend I look at? :-)
Consider going second hand man, I did and I doubt i'l ever buy a new bass again
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by watchingmefall
A Squire is NOT a Fender, even if it says "Squier by Fender". Try a real Fender.

you are right
but that doesnt mean Fender is going to be better than a squier
my VM is better than any MIM i have ever tried, and the other day tried an afinity p bass against a MIM p bass. and gues what, the squier was as good if not better than the MIM, that squier was a steal for the price, both of the basse where tried in a store and both where new, not al squier are bad, in fact i havent tried any squier that i couldt enjoy play

also to TS maybe your bass cant handle the C because of the strings. or maybe just the pup, IMO squier with a pup change are amazing basses; better than MIM fender if you get the right squier, even the agathis made squier sound great and more important feel great, not as good as MIA IMO but not as nearly expensive

sorry my english but i think you will get my point
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Last edited by litus at Jul 7, 2008,
1) neither of these basses will take drop C tuning any better than your squier.
2) the thunderbird is just an awful bass in almost every respect
3) get the soundgear
4) if you want drop C tuning a lot then get the SR505
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Ibanez. it beats t-bird down. easily. with only one string on.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Thunder bird has a terrible tone, the only good one is the nikki sixx one, and thats still ****, they are way over priced. however, get the ibanez and ur in for a bargain. try some esps as well, and use thicker strings for drop C, otherwise its gona feel like wanking a floppy dick.
The ibanez without a doubt!!
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
Quote by jb_reborn
Thunder bird has a terrible tone, the only good one is the nikki sixx one, and thats still ****, they are way over priced. however, get the ibanez and ur in for a bargain. try some esps as well, and use thicker strings for drop C, otherwise its gona feel like wanking a floppy dick.

thanks much for all the help. Next question, anyone know of some good, heavy strings? been playing DR Extra life strings so far, and I like them, but nothing to compare them too. Thanks again fo rall the feedback on the basses:-)
Strings: Roto Sound, i love them. For a somewhat brighter tone get ernie ball slinkies or dadario's
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
The only problem with a Tbird is neck dive, which you get with many other quality basses. A good number of Ibanez basses have this problem.

What it comes down to is your sound. Go play them at the store again, and really listen to which one sounds better to you. Try some different settings and tunings on them...give each one a workout. Don't worry about what people say about either one...if you like it, and it sounds and/or feels better than the other, go for it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iuJLFMQMUlQ
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jul 9, 2008,
Quote by watchingmefall
A Squire is NOT a Fender, even if it says "Squier by Fender". Try a real Fender.

Isn't that THE most annoying thing ever? I mean, I paid for the right to call mine a Fender. End of.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Mutant Corn
The only problem with a Tbird is neck dive, which you get with many other quality basses. A good number of Ibanez basses have this problem. I'd at least try playing them both before you decide.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iuJLFMQMUlQ

Enough with that damn video, it pops in every thread. It's the only thread displaying the "versatility" of the Tbird and look at the amp, that could make a turd with strings sound good.
Quote by watchingmefall
Enough with that damn video, it pops in every thread. It's the only thread displaying the "versatility" of the Tbird and look at the amp, that could make a turd with strings sound good.

Then I post this video, which shows how crappy the bass sounds, even through an Eden/Dr. Bass setup:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NHizHEm4p7E

Look, just because you can hear the strings hit the frets and it goes TACK doesn't mean it's a good, clean sound. Plus, that's the ~$1700 Gibson version, not the Chinese Ep*phone one.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Fitz, I actually like the sound of it in that video...though his camera has horrible frequency response.

We could go on and on about sound...that's up to the TS. I personally find most Ibanez basses to be a bit bland...not a lot of character, but that may just me me. However, I love the feel of them much more than the epi. How they make their basses feel so good and their guitars feel so horrible is beyond me...
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
We could go on and on about sound...that's up to the TS.

You're right, but how can it not seem that when you post a video that immediately starts talking about how the T-Bird is not the mudblower everyone says it is, you're blatantly trying to get your point across about the T-Bird? Posting a video talking about how awesome the tone of a T-Bird is makes your comments about the TS trying it for himself hold no water.

I mean really, posting a comment saying 'try it for yourself' then immediately posting the video... I mean REALLY. REALLY. Y'know, not FAKELY.

EDIT: Like it or not, that slap tone's about as muddy as it gets. Maybe the EB series can out-crap it, but there's no clarity there. Out of an Eden and Dr. Bass rig... and besides, camera phones have crappy LOW END response, not high end response. If anything, the T-Bird should sound clearer if the camera is crappy.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Jul 9, 2008,
I know it was muddy...the frequency response thing was more a comment on the excessive high end it picked up. Even the guy's voice sounded weird. I still wouldn't mind playing that. I've slapped a real TBird before...I know what they sound like. It was even through my Carvin rig, so the sound wasn't colored.

My posting of the video was an attempt to offset the gibson hate in the thread...

edit: lack of low-end =/= clearer
Nope, no sig here.
There's a difference between a lack of low end and the low-pass filter of a crappy camera. A low-pass filter WILL clear up tone and result in less mud. Guitar distortions do it. Big Muff anybody?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
A low-pass will help, yes, but do you honestly think a mic that size is going to have a lot of low-end to begin with?

edit: Now that I think about it, since he's already heard the basses and played them, he probably already knows everything we've been arguing about and has already formed an opinion, and the post was likely about reliability, build quality, etc....which none of us answered. I feel like a douche now...

So howabouts we call it even and drop it before we start arguing about which recording had better quality...agreed?
Nope, no sig here.