I'm going to see MAB this weekend, and I plan on asking him to sign my guitar. I've already searched for threads about what pens and such, and decided to use a white or silver sharpie on my gloss black V220. It's a reverse star shape, and I'd like him to sign the lower horn. I was planning on clearcoating over it for preservation. Here are my questions:

1) If I just clearcoated over the signature, would that leave a noticable "bump"? Or should I clearcoat the whole guitar?

2) What type of clearcoat should I look for / avoid?

Thanks.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Scuff the area surrounding the sig with a sharp hobby knife, then scuff sand the rest of the guitar. Get a cotton swab and ROLL on some shellac over the sig (not the whole guitar). Be careful as you could accidentally lift the sig. After the fisrt coat of shellac dries, put on one more. You don't have to be as careful, but it wouldn't hurt. After that, Clear coat the entire guitar, as per the ultimate painting thread. Viola!

(That's if you want to do it right)^

If you can't/don't want to do it like that, then scuff the area around the sig, roll on 2 coats of shellac, tape off the area around the sig, and clear coat. The only difference here is that you don't have to do the entire guitar.
Wow. Thank you Invader Jim.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Any time .

I should prolly also add that the reason you use shellac directly over the sig instead of straight lacquer is that some inks will be lifted by the lacquer and float to the surface and thus be gone for good. Shellac helps prevent this.