it measured about 1/8th of an inch at the 12th fret. maybe a little bit more than that.
its a yamaha fg730s btw.
Last edited by lpmarshall at Jul 7, 2008,
it looks fine to me. does it feel high?
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
well i went to a site that said that if the recomended string height was 2/32th of an inch, which is .0625 inches. when i measured mine it came out to be .1875 inches. so thats like 3 times the length.

Well action doesn't seem to bother too much when im doing open chords, but when a song calls for barre chords for an entire song, it is a bit hard to do.
It's not horribly high. check the site that you found you info on. 3/32 is a bit generous for acoustic. if you can get it comfortably between 3/32 and 1/16, you should be happy with it. Remember, don't just crank the truss. You should pop off your saddle. ususally there are thin strips of plastic or nylon under the saddle to raise the strings. most of the time you can eliminate these to reduce string height.

there are plenty of websites that give you info on how to adjust action. If you're not comfortable with making those kinds of adjustments, then it would be worth it to pay a tech to do it.
It's so crazy in here you're gonna wish it wasn't so crazy in here!

1995 PRS CE
Fender 50s Classic Player strat
Johnson Millenium 150
Boss GT-6
That's not TOO bad. I'm pretty sure my Art & Lutherie has worse action than that.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
It might be a tad high, but not high enough that it would bother me.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
How about 1/4''? That's where my borrowed guitar is. Can't wait for my Seagull to come in!!!
eh, it depends on your playing style. if you do a lot of hard, fast flatpicking or heavy strumming, that looks about right. if you play mostly fingerstyle, you might want it a little lower. regardless of how you play, that's not really high or anything. perhaps a tad high, but nothing i would worry over.
do you think a new martin dreadnought for $900 will have lower action? My yamaha was 200 bucks new, and it was solid top.
maybe. maybe not. Action is an adjustable thing. It's not something worth buying a new guitar over. A new guitar with really high action can be set up for low action, so dont take action as a big reason for buying a guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I've played lower end Martins and they play amazing BUT I don't think anything in the $900 range from Martin is going to have a solid top. Could be wrong though but just about every Martin I have played plays like a dream and that includes the X series.
Quote by bright-eyes
I've played lower end Martins and they play amazing BUT I don't think anything in the $900 range from Martin is going to have a solid top. Could be wrong though but just about every Martin I have played plays like a dream and that includes the X series.

That is wrong. The 15 series is right around $900, and they are all solid. And even the X series guitars have solid tops.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It