Page 1 of 3
that I want to join the Marines?

I've been thinking about this for a long time and I really feel like this is something that I want to do. I just don't know how to break it to them. If anyone has experience or suggestions, that would be good. I don't know how my dad will react, but when my mom thought my brother might possibly join the army, she was in tears. So yeah, any help would be... um... helpful.

Thanks!
Leave a few marine pamphlets laying around the house for about a week so they'll get warmed up to the idea.

Then wait for them to ask where they're coming from.

Then tell them.

Then join.
"Break it" to them?
Putting your life on the line for your country is one of the most honourable things you can do, why would they not want you to do it?
try to explain as best you can why you want to do it...maybe that'll help them understand
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by Retro Rocker
"Break it" to them?
Putting your life on the line for your country is one of the most honourable things you can do, why would they not want you to do it?

This reason

Parents .....
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
tell them straight out, but try not to mention the possibility of death, cuz that will probably bring your parents to think that something bad will happen.
I Agree With The above, look at it this way, unlike alot of people around your age, you have a plan to make something of yourself and secure your future, if they get mad at that, then ask if theyve got a better idea
just tell them. if your mom cries, let her.

you will have the knowledge that you are serving (and possibly dying for) your country. doesn't get much better than that.
Quote by Retro Rocker
"Break it" to them?

mostly because of the whole idea of marines being the front line fighters, and the possibility of their son dying
I'm sorry to be off topic. But when I saw the title, I thought you were asking for help on how to tell them your gay
But in all seriousness, I really respect that, even though I can't offer any help. Crazy courage to enlist, more than I have.
man, just tell them, i mean, its not a bad thing, get worried when you have to say: "Dad, my girlfriend is pregnant" or "Dad, I'm in jail"
lol I could've sworn that this thread was gonna be about coming out of the closet...
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
I joined the army and didn't even really consider what my parents thought....I enlisted and shipped to basic right after high school....it came somewhat to a shock to my pops, but I was gone for a couple years and it was the best damn time of my life...

If you wanna do the Marines man, go ahead and do it...Your parents should be supportive of you....it'll be a blast...
Vivamus mea Lesbia, atque amemus,
rumoresque senum seueriorum
omnes unius aestimemus assis!
The Pamphlets are a good idea, but I'm not sure I'd leave them around the house, because then your parents might approach you about it and catch you off guard. When you tell them, have some pamphlets and other info on hand for them to look at.
Quote by Td_Nights

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

The Holy Trinity

The Who
Led Zeppelin
The Beatles[
Dear mommy and daddy, you might not be ready,
But I'm overcome with joy.
I'm in love. I'm IN LOVE.
I'M IN LOVE WITH A BOY

(it's okay, he's only gay...)
The smell of leather gets me in the mood
Tight pants, WOW! They feel so good!
I hope you'd better respect my choice
Cos I'm in love with the boys...

Oh, you're joining the marines! I thought you were coming out of the closet.
Quote by Vagabond21
Leave a few marine pamphlets laying around the house for about a week so they'll get warmed up to the idea.

Then wait for them to ask where they're coming from.

Then tell them.

Then join.

+1
Quote by Dave Gilmour
lol I could've sworn that this thread was gonna be about coming out of the closet...

lol, yeah
I probably should have put more thought into the title
Hell yeah man I'm currently in the process of joining the Marines. Often times people don't realise how incredibly vast the military is and how many jobs it offers. Being a marine does not mean you will be on the front lines, or anywhere near the battlefield for that matter. Those are jobs within the Marines and you definitely don't have to do them to be a marine.
If I were you I'd straight up tell them, if they don't support you their hurting you.
Quote by Retro Rocker
"Break it" to them?

Well i mean, it mostly is , but lets face it... war isnt honourable, its what you do in what that is...

I think they'll be fine with it, i mean if you really want to, go for it.
i say you should just practice guitar more.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
"Mum, Dad, I want to join in on the corporate greed."
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Ohh!! Got it! Go to your dad and mom and say: "Mom... Dad... I'm gay.... Nahh, just kidding, I'm only joining the marines."
Quote by B. Joe
Ohh!! Got it! Go to your dad and mom and say: "Mom... Dad... I'm gay.... Nahh, just kidding, I'm only joining the marines."

Parents: "So you're kidding about being gay, so you want to get a job where you only see men for the most part?"
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Quote by Kiffa
Parents: "So you're kidding about being gay, so you want to get a job where you only see men for the most part?"

And then you say: "Uhm... yeah!"
Quote by Retro Rocker
"Break it" to them?

Really depends on the country doing honorable things....
MASSIVE TEXT
Quote by B. Joe
man, just tell them, i mean, its not a bad thing, get worried when you have to say: "Dad, my girlfriend is pregnant" or "Dad, I'm in jail"

Well said.
I'm joining the Marines.

Kthnxbai.
Voodoo Fest 2008 <3

Quote by DieGarbageMan
SILENCE.

SURSKIT DECIDES YOUR GENDER NOW.
Quote by B. Joe
And then you say: "Uhm... yeah!"

Lol, alright, this may just work.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
Just don't. Tell them you want to join the Navy
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
just join if you're really nervous about telling them you want to do it, then tell them afterwards.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Quote by Beware!Criminal
Just don't. Tell them you want to join the Navy

We already established that this wasn't about me coming out of the closet, though.
Page 1 of 3