When it comes down to quality and tone, would a Peavey classic 30 or a Traynor custom valve 40WR be a better choice? I play rock, not metal, just crunchy rock and blues, so I don't need a metal type distortion amp. I have heard great things about both of these and am at a loss. I know the most popular response will probably be, try them out, and I have to drive over an hour one way to try a Traynor, and then another hour the other way to try the Peavey, so....just from everyones experience, which one would be a better choice?
Member #38 of Alter Bridge Rocks Club PM Logz to join
im in the exact same situation as you but im leaning towards the classic 30 cause in my opinion it has a crunchier and warmer sound for rock
Quote by blackenedktulu
I Don't Really Know But Capitalising The First Letter In Every Word Is Really Annoying.

As For Me I Like To Play My Own Songs, As I Am Not Into Show Boating.
Traynor YCV 50 Blue

Not a choice? The Peavey's probably better voiced for your needs, but I think the Traynor's the higher quality amp. Tough call.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Depends on whether you're after a more American or more British voiced amp, i suppose.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Is there a huge difference between an American and British voiced amps? I didn't really know there was such things.

The YCV50 jus looks like the custom 40 in blue and 50 watts. I can't find a price for it either so I don't know about it. The 40 would be plenty anyways
^They aren't quite the same, and there is a difference. The 40 is more comparable to a Fender in tone (or American voiced), and the 50 is probably more comparable to a Marshall (or British voiced).

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by tremonti9482
Is there a huge difference between an American and British voiced amps? I didn't really know there was such things.

The YCV50 jus looks like the custom 40 in blue and 50 watts. I can't find a price for it either so I don't know about it. The 40 would be plenty anyways

It's listed at like 650, but you could probably get it for less.
The YCV 40 runs on 6L6 tubes and has brighter, Fender-like, "American" cleans, and a tighter, more modern overdrive. Like a lower octane Mesa, perhaps.

The YCV 50 runs on EL34's, and has perfectly decent cleans, but has an OD channel that channels the Marshall sound better than any Marshall even close to it's price range.

It's really not about the wattage difference with these two amps (it's negligible), it's all about the sound character.

The Peavey's a solid all-arounder with a British flavor that comes from it's EL84 power section.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
So, as of now, i've got like 2 votes for Traynor and 1 for Peavey is that right? I still really don't know, so let's continue this. When you say the Traynor is more versatile, what exactly does that mean?

Ok, I just saw the traynor explanation, so the custom 40 is going to be more like a fender and the traynor will have a better OD channel? Correct?
Last edited by tremonti9482 at Jul 7, 2008,
Quote by tremonti9482
So, as of now, i've got like 2 votes for Traynor and 1 for Peavey is that right? I still really don't know, so let's continue this. When you say the Traynor is more versatile, what exactly does that mean?

IMO, you could get a wider variety of sounds from the Traynor.
Alright so the Traynor looks to be the better choice....without playing either of them....is the peavey a good amp? Nobody has really said much about it or is it not worth it?
^They are really good value, used, IMO.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
+1 on your Traynor choices.

I preferred the Blue to the Peavey Classic the last time I went amp shopping.
So out of the Traynor, the red and the blue, i'm hearing that the blue would be better suited for my style theoretically. I'll still play all of them if I can, but from without playing, the Traynor blue is the winner I think.