I have a MIM Fender Tele and I'm wondering how to tell what kind of pickups are on it. I here about single coil and humbuckers and likely there are more types. I'm thinking about swapping them out to try and get the best blues sound I can.

Maybe you could explain the different types and what makes them different and how to identify them.
Single coil: one row of magnets. one magnet per string. more response from eq and wah. large amounts of feedback
Humbucker:two rows of magnets. 2 per string. less feed back and response from effects. better overall tone.
P90:forerunner to single coil...really noisy and horrible tone
My Gear-
Schecter C7 FR
Schecter Damien 7
Line 6 Spider III 150 2x12
Massive pedal board
Spector Legend Custom 5 string
Ampeg BA-112 50 watt
Well judging buy the guitar I'd say you have 3 single coil pickups. Humbuckers are just two single coils attatched to each other (in layman's terms).

If you're thinking about replacing I'd first say do your research so you know which pickups are the best for your sound. Then I'd say you make sure your amp is good enough to make a noticeably different sound with the pickups installed (ask at a music shop). If this is all ok, check out your local music store for any models with blues specific pickups and try them out to see if you like them.
Then buy 'em
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09
I have a MIM Tele as well if your guitar was purchased after 2007 then you have what Fender calls 2 Hot Standard Tele® Single-Coil Pickups (Neck & Bridge). I personally like them but I play punk and ska so i like the hotness of the pickups. If you could post a picture maybe I and other UG'ers could help you out.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by BassGuitarGod
Single coil: one row of magnets. one magnet per string. more response from eq and wah. large amounts of feedback
Humbucker:two rows of magnets. 2 per string. less feed back and response from effects. better overall tone.
P90:forerunner to single coil...really noisy and horrible tone

You fail at pickups
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven that was nice and constructive haha
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09
Quote by 24fretsftw
steven that was nice and constructive haha

Sheer idiocy does that to me sometimes...leaves me kind of lost for words. Only someone who'd never heard a P90 in their life would describe them as "really noisy and horrible tone"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_(music)

Telecasters have 2 single coil pickups, the neck single is sometimes referred to as a "lipstick" pickup due to the cover resembling....well, a lipstick. A stock telecaster is already close as dammit perfect for blues.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 7, 2008,