I will be getting my first electric guitar in about a week (I've been playing acoustic for almost a year) , so I've been looking into getting effects. I'll have a Mexican strat (upgraded pickups, not sure what kind), and a Carvin 16w tube amp. I'm needing to know which is better, buy a Boss DS-1 Stompbox with my guitar, or buy an cheap MultiFX such as a Digitech, or a Behringer. If I bought the stompbox I would ether wait, and buy more stompbox's later, or wait and buy a better MultiFX later. I will be mostly practicing, but will probably be playing at my church some. The idea of a MultiFX seems nice, tons of effects, but I've heard that stompbox's sound a lot better. Which is the better choice?
what type of music do you play? does it use a lot of fx?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
multi FX have more stuff but singles are better sound quality

simple as that

i'd prolly not want to spoil a strat and a nice amp by skimping on FX
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

simple as that

Stevo is actually right.

if you want FX laden sounds quick and cheap, get a multi effects.

if you want a better sound in the long term and less need for upgrades, get Single pedals.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

simple as that

Not always the case.

If TS says "saving up for a better MFX", if that means up to $500-$700... there are much better rack effect units able to be found.

But, considering the case, I'd suggest going with GOOD single pedals. If you spend X-amount on 20 **** pedals, your tone goes to waste.

I would not suggest the DS-1. I don't really like the tone of my DS-2 in my tube amp, as the amp's onboard overdrive (although questionable to others) is much better.

I'd suggest a good OD pedal if you need a boost of sorts, though. Tubescreamer?
Quote by thellamaking
Stevo is actually right.

if you want FX laden sounds quick and cheap, get a multi effects.

if you want a better sound in the long term and less need for upgrades, get Single pedals.

+1 on that. You'd have to be spending $400+ to start on a decent multi-effects pedal.
Quote by dale-banez

my gear:
oh wait, no one cares

Quote by uncboy19
man all guitars are female. if they werent you couldn't make sweet love to them with your fingers. ok somebody better quote that ****. thats like quantum guitar **** rite there.
Single pedals also afford you the flexibilty of changing the order of your effects. This can greatly affect how they interact.
On the cost side, a multi-effector like Zoom or Boss with many effects can be had for the money spent on 1 or two pedals.
If you're just starting out, there's nothihng wrong with a multi-effect unit for now.
Moving on.....
When played guitar for like... 8 months, I bought my first multi-effect. A Digitech RP-50 (i know, crap), just to try out some stuff and see if guitar effects is something for me.

After trying it out for a few months, I've bought my first Wah-pedal (Dunlop Jimi Hendrix sig.) and Boss Chorus. Just for the little extra's.

After that, I bought a 2nd hand Digitech Whammy IV.... which was fun in the beginning, but I'm not very keen on digital effects. Just gimme a wah, a good amp and a nice guitar, and I'm happy.

So, buy a multi-fx pedal just to try out all sorts of things, and then decide whether to buy stompboxes, or just to stay with the multi-fx.
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
With seperate pedals you can mix brands. One might have a distortion you like and another may have a better chorus. Seperate pedals cost more but you can customize your personal sound better. If you're poor like Me the multi FX is better than Nuthin'.
Zoom G7.1ut just over 200 on eBay. Or the 2.1 for a little over 100. If you cover a ton of bands and/or don't know much about effects, get a multi-fx. (Unless you have a ton of money obviously). Once you think you want to get your signature sound is when I think you get single pedals (just my opinion).
a cheap multi fx is nice to experiment with
and when you know what kind of tone you are after go with single pedals
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
The high end TC Electronics MFX doesn't seem bad, but the price is pretty hefty.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
the high end zooms are really nice. the vox tonelab also.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by aznrockerdude
The high end TC Electronics MFX doesn't seem bad, but the price is pretty hefty.

The high end TC stuff isn't meant to be a be all, end all solution though. It assumes you already have an amp you like or a good distortion pedal, so it doesn't have any amp models. It doesn't have a wah either. It's more for advanced players who already have a nice setup looking to simplify their floor space a little bit by rolling all of their delay and modulation effects into one machine.
Quote by zooLemon
The high end TC stuff isn't meant to be a be all, end all solution though. It assumes you already have an amp you like or a good distortion pedal, so it doesn't have any amp models. It doesn't have a wah either. It's more for advanced players who already have a nice setup looking to simplify their floor space a little bit by rolling all of their delay and modulation effects into one machine.

Yeah, I know that, but I was just trying to show a counterexample (obviously a flawed one, thanks for pointing out) to the "single stompboxes > MFX" thing.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by dudey5691
Not always the case.

If TS says "saving up for a better MFX", if that means up to $500-$700... there are much better rack effect units able to be found.

But, considering the case, I'd suggest going with GOOD single pedals. If you spend X-amount on 20 **** pedals, your tone goes to waste.

I would not suggest the DS-1. I don't really like the tone of my DS-2 in my tube amp, as the amp's onboard overdrive (although questionable to others) is much better.

I'd suggest a good OD pedal if you need a boost of sorts, though. Tubescreamer?

dude...steve vai uses the ds-1, and his tone is dank, maybe the ds-2 just sucks
instruments:
B.C Rich Warlock-Body Art Collection-June 2003
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Squire Strat (way sweeter than it sounds)
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
^That doesn't make it good. He just uses it as an overdrive anyhow. There are better overdrives to be had.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I wouldn't get a DS-1. You can get a Digitech Bad Monkey for almost as cheap, and that'll sound better with your amp.
Quote by gourd42
i was going to insult thedude97, BUT HIS AVATAR SHOWS MORDOR!
as long as you're not picky about combining alot of effects and doing alot of tweaking, the boss me20 is fine. lots of cool sounds you'll like. portable, great price! basically every effect you could want in there.