I understand that this is a preamp box, correct? I'm pretty new to the workings of tube amps (just recently bought my Krank Rev Jr.) and was wondering what exactly a preamp is, and wether or not to buy this Twin Tube Mayhem instead of a nice OD (something like the Krankshaft) since I feel the tone of the amp is lacking and needs a bit more "oomph" as far as gain goes.
Last edited by NowhereOutThere at Jul 7, 2008,
Preamps bring the sound up to line-level so that it can be amplified and sent to the speaker.

As far as "oomph" goes, I assume you mean something to do with gain?

Well this is where pre-gain and post-gain come in. Pre-gain is what you call distortion, and post-gain is basically master volume/overdrive.
Ok, so I understand the meaning of preamp, but what exactly is the point? As in, what does it do to the tone? Considering that the head contains two preamp tubes, would the Mayhem pedal bypass these and go straight to the power tubes?
Noob Terms: Preamp makes the pretty sound, the power amp makes the sound go loud, get it?
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by DSchmitty
Noob Terms: Preamp makes the pretty sound, the power amp makes the sound go loud, get it?

Ok, I understand that. Thank you, almighty master of the knowledge of tubes. I don't think I could have understood unless you pandered it to me!

That being said, has anyone had any experience with the Twin Tube Mayhem?