Hello everybody,

just wanted an opinion from you experts; I am beginning to play live with my Yamaha SG 700S w/ hambucker pups.
Recently I plugged the guitar into a Marshall amp, dont remember what model but it was a 100W stack with 4x12"speakers, cranked to 5/10. The sound was almost loud but still it had no presence. It wasn't either warm or punchy as when I am playing it through headphones in my POD2.0. A real ****ty sound, I know, but usable for playing some rythm.

The real problem is that a friend of mine managed to plug into the same amp an Am. Strat. When he was soloing, my guitar was BARELY audible! I mean, I almost was'nt able to hear my own rythm! We were both Clean with guitar volumes cranked up, and, man, what a sound was coming from the Strat!

Then I plugged into a Vox AC30, cranked up. Same thing. It seems that my guitar (I guess pickups but maybe also the wood) really sucks. I dont know, maybe the frequency range, but this guitar is completely cancelled when some strat is playing against it, either with the same amplifier or another .

What do you think or suggest? Is it possible to restore this guitar and how?

Thanks
It could be some fault in the electronics. Maybe take it to a tech to get it looked over.
if you still have the stock pickups i suggest swapping them out for some new ones. as long as you're happy with the way the guitar feels/plays.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
thats a good guitar, take it to a tech and get him to check your electronics

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Damn, I love a good hambucker sandwich.

Either way, new pickups may help, assuming you are going to be using higher quality amps often. Not sure about the volume thing though. Pickups set too low maybe?
maybe it's those hambucker pickups of yours

How can you plug into the same amp at the same time? Or were you playing a different amp? Cause then maybe the volume on the amps was different.
The Marshall had two inputs. My friend managed to make the work toghether.
Quote by thezack
The Marshall had two inputs. My friend managed to make the work toghether.

Maybe they weren't intended to be used at the same time.
I never tried a hambucker pup before. Do they come with tomato's?

But also try adding some more mids.
Quote by mikeyElite
if you still have the stock pickups i suggest swapping them out for some new ones. as long as you're happy with the way the guitar feels/plays.

I highly doubt it's the pickups themselves - it's either a wiring problem, a dodgy switch or dodgy pots.

Also, plugging 2 guitars into the same amp isn't going to work very well - invariably one signal will over power the other, quite often plugging into one input will bypass the other anyway. They're only designed to have one guitar plugged into them - the multiple inputs are either for different channels or for guitars with different output levels ie active vs passive.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 7, 2008,
There was probably in input for active electronics and for passive electronics. The one for passives (Or I assume passives) is usually louder......I know one is louder than the other...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
There was probably in input for active electronics and for passive electronics. The one for passives (Or I assume passives) is usually louder......I know one is louder than the other...

That actually is a very good point. I know bass amps work this way, not sure about guitar amps.
By the way, my friend told me that one input was louder than the other and he plugged my guitar into the LOUDER one.

Every time I play with this strat guy, even with other amps, my guitar gets killed even when I crank up everything :-(
Quote by thezack
By the way, my friend told me that one input was louder than the other and he plugged my guitar into the LOUDER one.

Every time I play with this strat guy, even with other amps, my guitar gets killed even when I crank up everything :-(

Are you sure he did though?

One will usually say something like "-3 dB" and the other "0 dB". The "0 dB" one is the louder one.
Quote by thezack

How you you know he did that though? Maybe he actually plugged you into the quieter one

That aside, it's not a very good idea to try and run two guitars through the same amp. Even if both inputs are equal somethings got to give when the sigmal hits the speakers.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well. I trust this friend of mine.
But the same thing happened when we played different amps. My guitar gets always overkilled even when plugged alone into a 100W stack or combo.
[quote="'[P|E|R|S|O|N"]']Maybe he plugged into an MG.
But yeah, it might be dodgy wiring..
Or it could just be the pickups.

Edit: Check your volume knob ?

That's the first thing I thought when he said he plugged into a Marshall.
Quote by steven seagull
I highly doubt it's the pickups themselves - it's either a wiring problem, a dodgy switch or dodgy pots.

I agree. Take the back covers off, and look at the solder joints. if they're dull or dirty looking, then redo the solder joints. Also, does this guitar have a coil tap? if it does, make sure the push pull pots are in humbucker position.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Actually, I was playing with the neck pickup, I managed to push the pot in the humbucker position and the volume was slightly improved. Both Volume and Tone were at 10/10.