And it sucks.

Right after taking em' off they made me wear this huge retainer and I have to wear this damn thing for a year. Even worse than the braces cause I can't speak properly or close my mouth now.

Anyone have to wear these? They're telling me to use em' 24 hours a day for a year but **** if my teeth aren't gonna stay straight it's not worth it.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
As soon as I got mine off, my teeth felt really, really weird. It was strange for about week, but then everything was normal and it was as if I'd never worn them.

I've also only worn my retainer about 5 times in the year or two I've had it.
so you have headgear?

but really how the hell is it worse, no more metal shiz on your teefs anymore

EDIT: post pics, thread is worthless without pics
NOPE
yeah i have to wear one too,you'll be able to talk normal in a couple of days,after a while i forget i even have it.

its better than having braces thats forsure.
and yeah you do have to wear them all day and night,or else your teeth will go back to the way they were and the braces would have been a waste of time.
I had to have the same when I got my braces taken off (a year or two back now). Wear it normally for a wee while, like a month, and then only wear it at night. I was supposed to wear mine 24/7, but soon gave up and just wore it while sleeping, and my teeth are still straight.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I have a plastic one I have to wear at night, it's not too bad.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
i advise you to wear them. i had awful teeth, had braces, was meant to wear the retainer, didnt wear the retainer, and now my teeth are awful again
i had one and i didnt mind you get used to talking properly and it's worth it in the end so stick with them they aint that bad geez another plus is when you take it out you can creep the hell outta people
For a year?! Bahah sucks for you. I only had to wear my retainer 24/7 for 6 weeks. Now I only wear it to bed. My friend has a permanent retainer though, its glued to the back of his teeth. Kinda weird O_o
I had braces twice, but the most recent time when I got them taken off they also made me wear a retainer. But yeah...never really do. The only time I do is about 5 days or so before the next appointment to get them in shape. I had an appointment about a month or so ago and I tried that idea out and it worked.
ive had my braces off for about 5 years and my teeth stayed perfect just wearing them at night.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by Nakon14
so you have headgear?

but really how the hell is it worse, no more metal shiz on your teefs anymore

EDIT: post pics, thread is worthless without pics

metal shiz that cuts your mouth = painful
metal shiz + scarred up mouth = no pain and fine speech
plastic massive gumshields = slurred speech, something to have to remove and keep stored when you eat, something that stops you snacking or drinking throughout the day, something that can come loose and choke you in the night, lots of pain on your tongue, gums and teeth.

trust me, the braces are better

TS, i had mine off 10 days ago, the initial pain on the teeth goes and you get used to them, but you're right the braces are better. Just count yourself lucky, i have to have mine til i die.
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
I gave up wearing my retainer after like a month. I have a bit of a gap inbetween my teeth, but oh well, my orthodontist was ****e anyway (they werent there for one of my appointments once, they had forgotten and gone down the library instead).
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I had to have the same when I got my braces taken off (a year or two back now). Wear it normally for a wee while, like a month, and then only wear it at night. I was supposed to wear mine 24/7, but soon gave up and just wore it while sleeping, and my teeth are still straight.

Pretty much the exact same story here. It was a little risky at first but my teeth are like the teeth of a model. At least according to my dentist
i always took mine out for eating... but then i stopped wearing it after about 6 months, and now my teeth are crooked again.. seriously.. wear it.. you'll regret it later
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I remember getting mine out (7 years ago )
And all I could eat was soup becuase it hurt pretty bad
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
I have a permanent retainer glued behind my top and bottom teeth. after a week you don't notice it and actually I haven't in a few years.. MUCH better than a temp I think. plus you can't even see it in the first place..
Quote by Oligarchy
SGRocker0791 and Raijin.xiii are ass holes in case anyone was wondering.

Quote by jimmyjimjim
try not to be such a dick

Quote by jdotp
thanks to the ignorant prick
I only wore my retainer at night time. After like two years, I stoppd wearing them altogether. My teeth are still fine.
Quote by Dinkydaisy

That's a bit of a relief to read, knowing I could get away with not wearing these 24/7. Just to be safe i'll tolerate these for a few weeks but i'm most likely going to wear them at night for the rest of the time.

Quote by Magic Jim
metal shiz that cuts your mouth = painful
metal shiz + scarred up mouth = no pain and fine speech
plastic massive gumshields = slurred speech, something to have to remove and keep stored when you eat, something that stops you snacking or drinking throughout the day, something that can come loose and choke you in the night, lots of pain on your tongue, gums and teeth.

trust me, the braces are better

TS, i had mine off 10 days ago, the initial pain on the teeth goes and you get used to them, but you're right the braces are better. Just count yourself lucky, i have to have mine til i die.

Tough break, one year doesn't seem too bad now. Hope you manage to get used to the retainers.

Quote by FightinIrishPJ
i always took mine out for eating... but then i stopped wearing it after about 6 months, and now my teeth are crooked again.. seriously.. wear it.. you'll regret it later

Hmm...that's a bit different from some of the other replies where they didn't use the retainers and their teeth remained the same. Your right though, I don't want to risk anything so i'll leave em' on for a few weeks as much as I can. After that I'll see if wearing em' at night is enough. Most of my friends do that now and they're teeth are fine so...
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Nope. I just got my braces off, and I have two retainers built into the back of my teeth.

I don't have to wear a regular retainer.
Small retainers > Braces IMO.

Don't ask me how, but here in Argentina the retainers are used to fix the teeth instead of just holding them in their place.

Something like broadening the bone and letting the mouth fix the teeth alone with the new space.

EDIT: It's a Palatal expander. My bad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palatal_expander
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Jul 7, 2008,
Getting braces out is like getting a second chance at life lol I have a retainer but I never use it. I don't care, just as long as I don't have to wear braces anymore i'm done with the teeth straightening bull**** lol It should be noted that some of my teeth got a TINY bit crooked again, a TINY bit. And that comes from not wearing my retainer for 4 years. Not bad if you ask me
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!