22 48%
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
11 24%
Crate V-50
12 26%
Line 6 Spider III 120W
1 2%
Voters: 46.
So I'm deciding on a new amp. I need versatility as I play all kinds of rock. I also want a great metal channel. I like having lots of choices. The more effects the better, but I want good quality and tone. I don't play live, so it doesn't need to get very loud and wattage doesn't need to be too high. I don't want to have to buy a bunch of pedals. My max price is around $400. These are my choices so far. Of course I'm going to play them before I decide, but I want other people's input too.
Vox AD30VT.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
the crate is the obvios winner here no competition.
the valveking i over rated and all it is really is a cheap tube amp and just having tubes for the sake of having tubes.

the VK ganna win this i bet cause theres alot of VK users on here but definately try out both amps.
I have a Valvetronix and id take it over the VK anyday.

But definately get the crate its built well and it dosent sound cheap at all like the VK.
Last edited by TheKaiser77 at Jul 7, 2008,
Out of the one's you made a choice of, the Vox.

But i would try and find a Line 6 Flextone.
And I don't even consider the Line 6 Spider
Quote by TheKaiser77
the crate is the obvios winner here no competition.
the valveking i over rated and all it is really is a cheap tube amp and just having tubes for the sake of having tubes.

the VK ganna win this i bet cause theres alot of VK users on here but definately try out both amps.
I have a Valvetronix and id take it over the VK anyday.

But definately get the crate its built well and it dosent sound cheap at all like the VK.
The Valveking is by no means a really good amp, but for the money it's great. It's got good cleans and put a OD in front of the drive channel and you can get some good metal sounds. However, I agree, the Crate wins. I just think it's a bit unfair to call the amp overrated. Would much rather have a Bugera 333XL though lol.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Do you jam or just toy around in your bedroom? You might be able to get by with something like a Microcube, otherwise I'd say something like a Cube 30 or 60.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by DDoug
The Valveking is by no means a really good amp, but for the money it's great. It's got good cleans and put a OD in front of the drive channel and you can get some good metal sounds. However, I agree, the Crate wins. I just think it's a bit unfair to call the amp overrated. Would much rather have a Bugera 333XL though lol.

Yah bugeras are great.
And i think its fair to call it overated when you got an amp like the crate that is equally priced.
And its not a matter of one is good for this and the otheris good for that, IMO the crate beats out the peavey in all categories, cleans, OD, tone.
Sure there are crappier amps out than the VK but when its in the ring with a V its just no competition especially for the same price.
Last edited by TheKaiser77 at Jul 7, 2008,
MicroCube. 1). It's a practice amp. 2) You want effects. Take the rest of your money and hang on to it.
What's wrong with the Line 6? It looked good. It has like 400 presets and a good collection of effects. I read that some people didn't like the tone. Can someone elaborate?
Quote by ledzepfan1993
What's wrong with the Line 6? It looked good. It has like 400 presets and a good collection of effects. I read that some people didn't like the tone. Can someone elaborate?

You want an elaboration?

They sound like roasted turd when you turn them up. The insane channel is muddy and has too much bass, the clean channel is dull, the crunch channel sounds like crap and the metal channel sucks too.

Turning the amp up loud feels like someone is picking your ears with a razorblade.
Quote by ledzepfan1993
What's wrong with the Line 6?
Try one. You decide. Try it next to the Roland at some volume. But why would you want a 120 watt bedroom practice amp? Of the amps you listed, the Vox would be the best for versatility. But first decide if you want a bedroom practice amp you can turn up past 3 or an amp for practice with a drummer. If it's bedroom, MicroCube or Da5. If it's practice with a drummer, that's another story. (The Crate V33-212 would be my pick over the V50 but that doesn't get all over the place with gobs of effects.) Good luck.
Pretty much all these amps are beyond bedroom play. 50 watts of tube will knock the clocks off the wall. Since you don't want pedals that pretty much rules out Blackheart or Valve Jr. May want to plug into one of these and see what you think. At least you'll be able to push this one a bit and save yourself $100.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by DDoug

+1

i really like the cleans from the vk
instruments:
B.C Rich Warlock-Body Art Collection-June 2003
Ibanez SZ520QM
Epiphone PR-100 Acoustic
Squire Strat (way sweeter than it sounds)
Gear:
Line 6 Spider 3 HD75
Peavey Mark III Head
Peavey 1x15 Cabinet
The Crate completely rapes the other choices for your needs.

If you really think it'd be too loud then either turn it down or get a smaller form of it, like the V-33 or V-18.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.