Hey guys.

I recently upped my string gauge from 9's to.. Um.. 11's i believe (Power Slinky's). Now It's been about a week and I just today looked at my bridge and realized something. It was ridiculously high off the wood of the body. I have a CLassic Player 60's strat with something of a vintage bridge, where the strings go through the bridge in the rear of the guitar. SO anyways, I removed the white plastic cover on the back where the tremelo strings are, because I'm assuming the problem has to do with the tension of them. Here are pics.

And here is the back. Sorry for the blurriness in the above two and size of this one, but i figured detail was important.

see the metal plate that is pulling the 3 springs away from the bridge in the last pic? tighten them
Quote by sum_ugly_man
see the metal plate that is pulling the 3 springs away from the bridge in the last pic? tighten them

no they should be loosened?
Tighten those screws in the back until the bridge lays flat. Loosen of the strings to make it easier on yourself.

It's called bridge lift. It's designed to allow you to whammy up in pitch as well as down.

If you can't get it flat with the screws all the way in then you'll need to add some springs.
Quote by JMTrio134
You guys are contradicting each other. Do I loosen the springs or tighten them? Any particular method to doing it?

TIGHTEN

Screw the two screws in the back that hold the plate that the springs are attached to in place.

It will pull the bridge down more.
i heard somewhere that strats really aren't supposed to have high gauge strings on them, but that could just be a rumor, i dunno.
Quote by 6-string-yay

wont the bridge go flying off from the tension if you loosen the screws....?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by 6-string-yay

No it needs to be tightened
if it were to be loosened, the bridge would go further up again
Equipment

GUITARS
Jackson RX10D
Ibanez GAX30
Ninja Strat Copy

AMPS
Laney LX120Twin Extreme
Fender Frontman 15W

Effects
Boss ME-20 Multi Effects Board
Quote by TheProducer
Tighten those screws in the back until the bridge lays flat. Loosen of the strings to make it easier on yourself.

It's called bridge lift. It's designed to allow you to whammy up in pitch as well as down.

If you can't get it flat with the screws all the way in then you'll need to add some springs.

Wait, so If the condition has a name and a purpose, it would be alright just to leave my bridge like this?
Tighten the two screws in the back.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by xero1123
i heard somewhere that strats really aren't supposed to have high gauge strings on them, but that could just be a rumor, i dunno.

SRV used 13s, friend.
Quote by JMTrio134
Wait, so If the condition has a name and a purpose, it would be alright just to leave my bridge like this?

Yes, it would be.

Fender setup specs have it 1/4" off the body of the guitar for this purpose.

Some people don't like it because either they don't need it or it makes it easier to accidentally (or purposely) raise the pitch with your right hand while playing.
Quote by JMTrio134

no its wat happens wen u change string gauges, its not suppose to be like that,

you shouldnt leave it cuz its stetching ur springs and the srews might rip out of the wood or somthing bad i think i need to add another spring
Quote by JMTrio134

If you want. It's all preference where the bridge sits. Also, is that an MIA or MIM strat?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by 6-string-yay
no its wat happens wen u change string gauges, its not suppose to be like that,

you shouldnt leave it cuz its stetching ur springs and the srews might rip out of the wood or somthing bad i think i need to add another spring

Wrong, sorry.

It is supposed to be that way, not necessarily that high, but to a certain extent.

THE SCREWS AREN'T GOING TO RIP OUT OF THE WOOD. Stop scaring him for now reason.

Think about it, more springs isn't going to put less stress on the screws. It's the heavier gauge that does that--and there's nothing wrong with that.
Quote by TheProducer
Wrong, sorry.

It is supposed to be that way, not necessarily that high, but to a certain extent.

THE SCREWS AREN'T GOING TO RIP OUT OF THE WOOD. Stop scaring him for now reason.

Think about it, more springs isn't going to put less stress on the screws. It's the heavier gauge that does that--and there's nothing wrong with that.

ookkk sorrryyy, i dont have much experience with tremelos, just floating trems
tighten the claw screw's down till your bridge floats about an 1/8th of an inch off the body. or can tighten it down till its flush to the body or add a 4th spring to make it flush to the body.
Quote by 6-string-yay
ookkk sorrryyy, i dont have much experience with tremelos, just floating trems

that is a floating trem.
Quote by 6-string-yay
you know what i meant :P

No, we don't.

I know you're trying to help, but telling someone that their guitar is going to rip apart when you don't have experience with it isn't really helpful.
With a jump in gauges like that, your going to have to get it set up to handle it.

Your gonna want to add some more springs or tighten that claw as stated above.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by TheProducer
Yes, it would be.

Fender setup specs have it 1/4" off the body of the guitar for this purpose.

Some people don't like it because either they don't need it or it makes it easier to accidentally (or purposely) raise the pitch with your right hand while playing.

Alright. But my E and B strings seem ordinarily tight. Is this just because I am not used to a thick string, or could it be too much tension from the bridge?

Note: They also seem to have too much wear for new strings, and its all right around the 19th fret. Perhaps it is because I was bending brutally on the 15th fret?
Quote by JMTrio134
Alright. But my E and B strings seem ordinarily tight. Is this just because I am not used to a thick string, or could it be too much tension from the bridge?

Note: They also seem to have too much wear for new strings, and its all right around the 19th fret. Perhaps it is because I was bending brutally on the 15th fret?

If the guitar is in tune then it is just because of the thicker strings. They are going to feel much tighter. The bridge isn't putting more tension on them.
I had to add a spring with 10s man and you HAVE TO TIGHTEN the springs.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Quote by Tomo J O
I had to add a spring with 10s man and you HAVE TO TIGHTEN the springs.

They should be tighter, yes. It doesn't need to be completely flat though. Like I said, Fender specs have them off the body a bit. Like Tomo said, with 11s you may need another spring. Although, I'm not sure why I can but he couldn't, I can get it flat with just the screws with 10s. Maybe it's because mine are in a V-pattern. I heard that was stronger.
Tomo^ how do you tighten Springs exactly?

you can add and subtract Springs.

this thread got very confusing with Springs and Strings and Screws being thrown around haphazardly in sentances.

1.) There are two screws that hold the claw to the body underneath as you have seen. Tighten those if you can.

2.) There are also screws on top of guitar that bolt the bridge to the body. You can tighten those a bit as well but maybe not all the way flush just yet. 2 screws if this is a MIA, 6 screws if this is a MIM.

3.) You can also add and remove Springs underneath that connect the claw to the bridge. I buy new springs every so often because they are cheap and extrememly hard to tighten or rewind unless you have the right equipment.

Either way - going from .09s to .11s is a pretty big jump and it will take some adjustments over the next several days. It is not going to be perfect immediately.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 7, 2008,
I took mine into my local guitar shop and as soon as he added another spring the bridge dropped, having a flat bridge is a bad idea though, you wanna get it to a point where its slightly raised, there should be a picture of the "right" height in your owners manual, because im not very handy I took mine in but maybe you could do this yourself.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
After reading this thread, I'm actually interested in RASING the bridge on my strat to make bringing he pitch up with the trem easier, would I need to do any additional setup, or would I just have to remove a spring/ loosed those screws?
Also, would it make my not stay in tune as well?
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
You DID change string gauges... that MIGHT be the problem
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK