I have an older Wasburn 12 string (can't find a model number on it anywhere, but it's a dreadnaught spruce top, rosewood back/sides, and a purple pickgaurd that looks 70s or 80s to me).

I bought it about 5 years ago, and have never successfully strung it... the high G breaks every time... I went a few years with it just sitting in the stand as an 11 string and not playing it cause I was just frustrated. Recently I decided to start messing with it again, and still breaking the high G. It breaks between the nut and tuning post. I'm going to try to have a shop look at it soon, but just wanted to see if anyone else had suggestions?
Last edited by bbshriver at Jul 7, 2008,
The nut probably needs to be filed down. There must be a sharp part or something.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^ Aye, that could be the problem. But, before you file anything down, buy and use this stuff:

The string could be binding up in the nut slot preventing it from tuning up smoothly. I use this product religously, and it's never failed me yet. It makes fine tuning a breeze. Also perfect for string to saddle contact on electrics. Lubrication is your friend here.
I should really buy a tube of that stuff. haha.
Equipment:

Product reviews on MF state that pencil lead is equally effective, anyone have experience with both?

Since I had it on hand I tried loading down that spot on the nut with some lead, and stopped tuning around b(flat) in the same octave as the lower G, when turning the tuner didn't seem to be raising the pitch (to me indicating the string was again binding on the nut). This is my last .09 string on hand, and I have to buy a whole nother set to get more (I found an ernie ball 12 string set that came with 3 of them). Before dumping $20 on that lubricant.. should I hit it with some 2k sandpaper or something?
"I snapped a g string fingering a minor too hard"

John Butler plays without a high G string in the Max Sessions recording of Ocean. You could be cool like him and leave it off
I havent tried both, but pencil lead doesnt seem to work that well on my guitar. The G string still binds a lot. Less than before by a bit, but still not the best.
Equipment:

Quote by LeftyDave
Lubrication is your friend here.

Tbh lubrication is ALWAYS your friend ...

/e: Oh and just to have some point to this post.. it is breaking at the nut right? Its not snapping down at the saddle?
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
Tbh lubrication is ALWAYS your friend ...

/e: Oh and just to have some point to this post.. it is breaking at the nut right? Its not snapping down at the saddle?

Not on the tuning posts it isn't! There are places on a guitar that you don't want to lube. And the TS stated that the string was snapping between the nut and tuner in his original post, thus my suggestion.
Pencil "lead" is a poor substitute because it's dry for one, and it's black for another. If you don't care for your guitar that much, or the looks of it, go ahead and write graphite all over it(which is what a pencils "lead" is actually made of) or take my advice and purchase the good stuff. It'll last you for ages. I've only bought it once and have used it a lot already. A little goes a long long way when it comes to this stuff.
And bbshriver, if you want to do anything to the nut slot that's binding, try to widen it, but don't deepen it. Just try to make it a bit wider but try to avoid making it any deeper, and also don't change the angle that the string rests in the slot. So if you can manage it, just sand a bit on one wall of the slot. That should help loads.
And another possibly helpful hint: when you restring again, make sure you're stretching those babies out! Especially the octave G that you're having troubles with. Bring it up to about half tension, then lift the string away from the fretboard at about the 12th fret. Lift it an inch or so, and also move it side to side. Then bring it closer to pitch, about a semitone flat, then repeat stretching. Finally, tune to pitch. This will help with getting the strings to pitch, and with tuning stability.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will give that stuff a try.
I did notice that the slot on the nut seems to vary in width.. it is slightly narrower on the side towards the saddle, although with a .09 string that doesn't seem like it should be a problem.

As far as stretching goes, the one time I successfully got all the strings on, that high G took me about 3 days (I'd tune it to something, leave it overnight, go a few notes higher the next day, etc). But then I left it for a few months (was back in college and didn't have room for my guitar collection), and tried to tune it back up when I got back and it snapped again. I'll try your other trick of stretching the string more next time.

Speaking of stretched strings, since I have a partially taut string on it now... can I reuse that string if I take it off, or is it done for?
some people i know just tune both strings to g and not an octave up but they are old school guys blue grassers and two toothed dueling banjo looking folks.
Quote by LeftyDave
Not on the tuning posts it isn't!

I wasn't necessarily talking about guitars..
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
I knew that. Everybody needs well lubricated nuts.
On their guitars.
On their lap.
Forget it.
lol