Ok so my amp (xxx combo) has a damping switch on the back labeled loose, mid and tight. I know it has to do with the amount of vibration in the cone of the speaker or something, but why exactly would I use one setting over another? Like what's the difference between loose and tight in terms of sound (besides volume :p?
If you're playing something like metalcore with thick, chunky breakdowns, you'll want emphasis on bass, so you'll set it to tight.

If you want to play classic rock or alternative, you might want a more airy sound, so you'll set it to loose.

Experiment and see what you like best for the styles you play.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Its for the bass. Typically metal likes tight bass and classic stuff likes looser bass
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Its wierd cause i like the tone when the speaker dampening is set to loose cause it gives palm mutes this cook metallic chunk but maybe i should try it out on tight setting more..

It sounds a little more marshall(ish) with it loose and more mesa(ish) when tight i guess.
Well, it's entirely up to preference. Play through what you think sounds best.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
Well, it's entirely up to preference. Play through what you think sounds best.

+1. Most people who play with high gain prefer tight though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
The tight setting is actually the worst of the three options. It turns the amp into a mid scooped, thin, SS sounding buzz machine. Loose is the way to go.
If you hear a XXX that sound thin and bad sounding, chances are the damping switch is set to tight.
They should have excluded this feature in the XXX and included Resonance and Presence dials instead.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by yoyodunno
Its wierd cause i like the tone when the speaker dampening is set to loose cause it gives palm mutes this cook metallic chunk but maybe i should try it out on tight setting more..

It sounds a little more marshall(ish) with it loose and more mesa(ish) when tight i guess.
You've got good ears my friend.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Try an EQ in the loop and boost the bass.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Do you use an OD? cause i find that it helps a lot, but the only problem is with my bad monkey it makes the tone a little brighter so i compensate with a little less mids or less treble on the eq.

Oh yeah eq in the loop works too, i just don't use my danelectro fish n chips cause it adds too much noise.
it changes bass frequences
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by beadhangingOne
it seems that the bass is not as chunky as I'd like it to be. Is there anything I can do about this?
If you want your XXX to sound fuller and thicker, set the master volume to between 8 & 10. Then adjust your channel volume(s) for volume levels, (3 or 4).
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION