What are some good custom shop companies that ship to the U.S. whose majority of guitars are under $1600
Not many. Carvin comes to mind.

Check out Ran guitars.

Your best bet is to find a local luthier.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Carvin is the only company I can think of.

Ran is going to cost you at least $2500 and that's for an absolute barebones guitar.

I see custom shop Jacksons on eBay for around that price from time to time though...
Quote by T!AN
Carvin is the only company I can think of.

Ran is going to cost you at least $2500 and that's for an absolute barebones guitar.

I see custom shop Jacksons on eBay for around that price from time to time though...

I got quoted about 2000 bucks for a bare bones Explorer. I almost cried.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
go local man chances r u will find a dam good shop that will make a custom guitar for like 1 grand
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by MRavioli
oops. i forgot to mention that i want companies other than Carvin

You're not going to find big companies that will build you a guitar for that cheap unless it was bare, bare, bareboned. Find a local luthier to build you one.

Why don't you just buy a production guitar? You can get a great one with that cash.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I got quoted about 2000 bucks for a bare bones Explorer. I almost cried.

Interesting...

I agree that finding a custom from a big manufacturer is going to be impossible unless you go used. I tried to build the most basic guitar possible on the ESP website and still got quoted for $3500.

And personally I don't think it's worth getting a custom guitar if you go for the most basic guitar possible, which is what $1600 will get you if anything.

EDIT: ^ +1 to production guitars in that range. Especially used, you can get some amazing deals.