yes or no?

I'm sorry. I know its not mandatory but how much recommended is it? Just beacuse i don't have locking tuners on my guitar will it make my guitar go out of tune alot? Basically how much of a difference do they make?
Last edited by lemon_lime123 at Jul 7, 2008,
if u got a double lockin floyd u dnt need em

if u got like a prs trem then they would be handy i guess, using it would probs knock it out a bit, only so much lockin tuners can do

double lock FTW!
Gear:
Jackson DK2 Trans Black

Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960AV
Unless you have a Floyd Rose you should be ok.
Gear:
Jackson DKMG
Yamaha Acoustic
Knockoff Strat
Vox AD30VT
Boss MT-2
Crybaby wah
Boss DD-3

The Ultra Balls. Throw them.

Member of the ANTI-IBANEZ MILITIA!
Quote by death_metaller
if u got a double lockin floyd u dnt need em

if u got like a prs trem then they would be handy i guess, using it would probs knock it out a bit, only so much lockin tuners can do

double lock FTW!

Of you course you dont need locks on a DOUBLE LOCKING FR.
wth.
Gear:
Jackson DKMG
Yamaha Acoustic
Knockoff Strat
Vox AD30VT
Boss MT-2
Crybaby wah
Boss DD-3

The Ultra Balls. Throw them.

Member of the ANTI-IBANEZ MILITIA!
Quote by Demonikk
You need a locking nut ideally

no - you don't need one -- Hendrix never used one, or locking tuners. Same with Ritchie Blackmore and SRV and tons of other guys that played strats and other guitars with wammy bars. I'm pretty certain that EVH recorded at least the first 2 or 3 VH albums without a floyd rose and the locking nut.
If you use it for light vibrato stuff, you probably won't need them but if you're doing big divebombs and heavy stuff like that then you'd really benefit from them AFAIK.
Epi LP Standard Plus-Top
Ashdown FA60 2x12
Quote by lemon_lime123
yes or no?

I'm sorry. I know its not mandatory but how much recommended is it? Just beacuse i don't have locking tuners on my guitar will it make my guitar go out of tune alot? Basically how much of a difference do they make?

They will help some, but they're not perfect. They don't lock the guitar in tune like a Floyd Rose type locking nut does. They lock the string into the tuning peg hole so there's almost no winds around the post and much less chance of string slippage. The most common causes of the guitar going out of tune are the bridge not returning exactly back to "zero" for some reason and the strings binding behind the nut.
There's quite a few stringing methods for standard tuners that help lock the strings. Have a look around.
Quote by GoDrex
no - you don't need one -- Hendrix never used one, or locking tuners. Same with Ritchie Blackmore and SRV and tons of other guys that played strats and other guitars with wammy bars. I'm pretty certain that EVH recorded at least the first 2 or 3 VH albums without a floyd rose and the locking nut.

Yeah but that is why Hendrix had to tune after every song, or even during songs if he really wailed on the whammy. Which he did . . . a lot.